portforwarding

Jskid

Feb 12, 2011
Is there a program that can detect what routers a computer is behind so I can find their IP address to configure them?

seepy83

Platinum Member
Nov 12, 2003
You want to find the IP of the router? Look at the ipconfig of the computer and see what the default gateway is.

If that doesn't answer your question, please explain exactly what you're trying to do.

Jskid

Feb 12, 2011
When I go to the default gateway's ip adress in firefox I get this

btw I'm using a mac

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
portforwarding

The title indicates that you want to set up port forwarding. What router is actually used is immaterial if you don't have the username/password so you can configure it.

aylafan

Jun 30, 2010
What are your intentions?

You won't be able to configure anything like port forwarding, etc. without having login access to the router. You have to ask the owner of the router to help you in this matter. Everyone from this forum will give you the same answer.

Last edited:

Jskid

Feb 12, 2011
It's a home office and it's very cluttered and sparse. There's defiantly multiple network devices, my computer is connected to a switch. My boss isn't good with computers and she doesn't know...lol
When I trace all the cables etc. and know the router models and everything I'll post them here, but that was my question in the first place is there a program that does that for me?

seepy83

Platinum Member
Nov 12, 2003
You could use nmap to see what ports are open on it.
You could use Putty to try and SSH or telnet into it.
You aren't going to get very far without a username and password.

Who built the network?

kevnich2

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2004
Yeah if it's not YOUR own router - you shouldn't be trying to get into it to configure anything. That looks like a managed linux router. If you need a port opened - contact the IT dept of whatever the company/organization is and ask them.

That screenshot doesn't look to me like a home office router, sorry, but it doesn't. Post the model numbers of what you see and what you have access and we can try and give you the best advice you can but at this point my advice would be contact a competant IT tech to come out and assist you.

Jskid

Feb 12, 2011
My computer is connected to a Netgear ProSafe 8 Port Gigabit Switch. There's 7 ehternet cables coming out of it and I'm not sure which one I should be tracing (by hand). There's a Linksys WRT54G v5 wireless router.

kevnich2

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2004
My computer is connected to a Netgear ProSafe 8 Port Gigabit Switch. There's 7 ehternet cables coming out of it and I'm not sure which one I should be tracing (by hand). There's a Linksys WRT54G v5 wireless router.

Let everyone there know the internet will be going down temporarily, unplug the ethernet cable going from the netgear switch to the Linksys WRT54G and see if you can still access 192.168.1.1. If not, the WRT54G is acting as your router. Though the graphic you posted is definitely not the typical linksys so it's using some 3rd party firmware if that is indeed your router. After you test this, be sure and plug the ethernet cable back in to restore internet.

aylafan

Jun 30, 2010
It's a home office and it's very cluttered and sparse. There's defiantly multiple network devices, my computer is connected to a switch. My boss isn't good with computers and she doesn't know...lol
When I trace all the cables etc. and know the router models and everything I'll post them here, but that was my question in the first place is there a program that does that for me?

It's obvious that this router was installed from someone who understands networking. You need to have technical knowledge to have MRTG working with a router from the screenshot you posted.
http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/doc/mrtg-nt-guide.en.html

It doesn't seem like you are telling us your real intentions for port forwarding.

I cannot help you from this point on.