Portal with RTX is now available on Steam

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Free upgrade with those with the original game if you want to give your RTX GPUs a whirl. It's running full path tracing so expect slow performance.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
RTX 3060 is the minimum requirement. I think that it is ridiculous that they waited until launch to disclose this.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Playing it I wasn't wowed by RTX. All these extra calculations for light doesn't seem to be worth the extra power.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Another absolute garbage release like Quake 2 RTX. The worst part is that it enables both tiers of DLSS by default.

Someone who doesn't really understand the tech thinks "oh, it's running at 1440p60!" Nah, the DLSS lies mean you're actually getting 1080p30.

Reactions: SteveGrabowski

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Another absolute garbage release like Quake 2 RTX. The worst part is that it enables both tiers of DLSS by default.

Someone who doesn't really understand the tech thinks "oh, it's running at 1440p60!" Nah, the DLSS lies mean you're actually getting 1080p30.
Can someone explain to me.. does DLSS require internet?

Where is it getting all the machine learning and massive deep learning samples? Are they all contained in within the card? I'm so confused about the ML part and how that's different than just resamplling.

Supercomputer performance.
DLSS uses the power of NVIDIA’s supercomputers to train and regularly improve its AI model. The latest models are delivered to your GeForce RTX PC through Game Ready Drivers. Tensor Cores then use their teraflops of dedicated AI horsepower to run the DLSS AI network in real-time. This means you get the power of the DLSS supercomputer network to help you boost performance and resolution. And it gets even better over time.

So it does require internet to 'RUN DLSS AI network in real-time'. So it's connecting to Nvidia servers which is spitting back some AI-generated texture codes and your RTX tensor cores are generating the frames.

So can you use it offline?

Last edited:

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007

Where is it getting all the machine learning and massive deep learning samples? Are they all contained in within the card? I'm so confused about the ML part and how that's different than just resamplling.

So it does require internet to 'RUN DLSS AI network in real-time'. So it's connecting to Nvidia servers which is spitting back some AI-generated texture codes and your RTX tensor cores are generating the frames.

So can you use it offline?
The way I understand it is that they use the supercomputers to run the game and find the optimizations. Then those are packaged into the drivers and installed on your computer. Your RTX card then refers to these optimizations in real-time and renders the game for you with increased performance.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
The way I understand it is that they use the supercomputers to run the game and find the optimizations. Then those are packaged into the drivers and installed on your computer. Your RTX card then refers to these optimizations in real-time and renders the game for you with increased performance.
Oh... so the each game being released needs the time and commitment by Nvidia to build the corresponding library beforehand, right? So that they can package it to the latest drivers.

Last edited:
Reactions: VirtualLarry

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Not directly, but some games' DRM requires it. But that's just the DRM.

They're baked into the game/driver.

Khanan

Aug 27, 2017
So it doesn’t run on my 2080 Ti? What a joke. 😂 Still faster than a 3070.