Portal 2 releasing early?

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Anneka

Jan 28, 2011
From what i've seen in trailers this games is destined to be a hit.
I will wait for some reviews before purchasing the game.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I barely notice the loading ... takes all of 5 seconds, maybe to load.

It's not the length, it's the frequency that gets a little annoying. When you start flying through puzzles you start wondering why it loads in such little chunks when it could have loaded 5-6 smaller rooms at a time. Once you get to the repulsion gel part things took me a little longer so they didn't seem so bad, but leading up to that I felt like I was flying through rooms so it just feels a little clunky. I would have liked a 30 second load less often than a 5 second load every few minutes.

drizek

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2005
Load screens: damn consoles.

I installed to my ssd and it is still a pain. awesome game though.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
LOL I love the test room for the turrets.

"Uh, what am I supposed to do here?"

"Well, I did my best"

"Oh no, I'm one of the bad ones aren't I?"

"Uh, Blam Blam Blam! I'm not defective!"

You know why you enjoyed that? ...because it was new, fresh, and you didn't expect it. Let someone else get the chance to enjoy it as much as you did.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Load screens: damn consoles.

I installed to my ssd and it is still a pain. awesome game though.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Quit using the consoles as an excuse for poor dev decisions... put the blame where it belongs. The entire Orange Box was on consoles as well and none of those games had to load this much, even when it was played ON those consoles.

Console or no console, somebody at Valve made the choice between many "short" loads over less frequent "long" loads. 100% Valve design decision.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
It's not the length, it's the frequency that gets a little annoying. When you start flying through puzzles you start wondering why it loads in such little chunks when it could have loaded 5-6 smaller rooms at a time. Once you get to the repulsion gel part things took me a little longer so they didn't seem so bad, but leading up to that I felt like I was flying through rooms so it just feels a little clunky. I would have liked a 30 second load less often than a 5 second load every few minutes.

This is true, it was after every level, when some levels only took 1-2 minutes to walk through.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001

yeah, I was a bit disappointed, but its ultimately little different from Portal 1 where instead of a loading screen you had to wait in an "elevator" which is just a glorified loading room, although it did help preserve the illusion of one giant seamless experience from one test chamber to the next

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
So I finished playing P2.

Tons of background info to speculate on, and of course a far longer game...However, w/o spoiling anything, what strikes me the most is that the writing is significantly weaker than P1. Wheatley in particular talks a LOT but 90% of his whole dialogue is filler.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
So I finished playing P2.

Tons of background info to speculate on, and of course a far longer game...However, w/o spoiling anything, what strikes me the most is that the writing is significantly weaker than P1. Wheatley in particular talks a LOT but 90% of his whole dialogue is filler.

I'm on Chapter 7 and so far haven't noticed too much background stuff. Maybe I've missed most of it. I've tried to look around for stuff and so far there's been very little.

Sid59

Lifer
Sep 2, 2002
finished Portal 1 tons of fun. last 3 levels took me 4 hours. I'm excited for P2.

The last part of P1 was great, I haven't had that much fun since ChronoTrigger.

ussfletcher

Platinum Member
Apr 16, 2005
finished Portal 1 tons of fun. last 3 levels took me 4 hours. I'm excited for P2.

The last part of P1 was great, I haven't had that much fun since ChronoTrigger.

Portal 1 wasn't nearly as challenging as (that second half of) Portal 2. I'm excited to try out Co-op next.

Last edited:

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Portal 1 wasn't nearly as challenging as (that second half of) Portal 2. I'm excited to try out Co-op next.
Puzzle-wise, I'd say P2 is harder (if only marginally so) - a couple of the puzzles really took some brainpower to solve. On the other hand none of P2's puzzles are nearly as twitchy, so while I had some initial trouble executing some moves in P1, I had no such issue in P2.

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
This game is GREAT, never played the 1st so this is a new kind of game for me. BIG thumbs up so far.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Puzzle-wise, I'd say P2 is harder (if only marginally so) - a couple of the puzzles really took some brainpower to solve. On the other hand none of P2's puzzles are nearly as twitchy, so while I had some initial trouble executing some moves in P1, I had no such issue in P2.

Yeah, and I'd attribute it to the scale. At times you are looking 100m in every direction trying to link one section to another.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Yeah, and I'd attribute it to the scale. At times you are looking 100m in every direction trying to link one section to another.

Yea so far that's the biggest problem I had, the scale of some of the larger ones later in the game but still though I feel like the first one was more difficult from what I've played so far because I'm sure if you played the first one, you pretty much know what to do in the second and those who have never played it, it will be more difficult for them just like it was for us when we played the first.

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
The chick in the game called me garbage, TWICE, I am gonna refuse to have sex with her. That will show her whose boss.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Yea so far that's the biggest problem I had, the scale of some of the larger ones later in the game but still though I feel like the first one was more difficult from what I've played so far because I'm sure if you played the first one, you pretty much know what to do in the second and those who have never played it, it will be more difficult for them just like it was for us when we played the first.

I tend to think the first one was hard because you had to wrap your head around the idea of portals, and to think in terms of portals. Yeah, you can't really "lose it for the first time again" in that regard, but I find Portal 2 more like chess. You dont see everything in front of you due to the scale. The difficulty that was in Portal 1 is still there, but now you have to think a couple moves ahead, and you have incorporate new materials to get from A to F, whereas Portal 1 was A to B. I guess one is not harder than the other, just hard for different reasons.

BTW, Portal Pro mod is harder than both!

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Bah, I'm finally stuck. I've ran into small speed bumps before but this one in particular has me at a loss. Gonna take a break and come back... hope I have an epiphany ;)