Portal 2 Announced

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
considering all the teasing Easter eggs between HL2:ep2 (mentions an Aperture Science research ship) and Portal (mentions Black Mesa as a rival government contractor), we very well may see the two tied together

Was really hoping the next episode would have a lot of the portal style gameplay.

Liet

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2001
A story evolves to provide a purpose for all the puzzles, but it's quite an evolved story considering the purpose it serves.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
This gets me even more pissed. Two Left for Dead games, now a new Portal and no HL:EP3.

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
I'm still saying there will be no HL2: Ep3 and it's instead being turned into HL3 with a new engine and whatnot.

Good news about portal 2 anyways.

Jjoshua2

Mar 24, 2006
I would pay 60 for Orange box 2 w/ portal 2 hl3 and and tf3, which is twice what I've paid yet for any other games, i always wait for sales.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
This gets me even more pissed. Two Left for Dead games, now a new Portal and no HL:EP3.

I'd like to think that Portal 2 will give us more tie-ins to the HL games and then HL2:E3 will come out in 2011.

And I doubt a TF3 is in the works. They haven't even finished the first round of class updates. Even when they do, Valve has stated there will be a second round of them. TF2 still has a lot of life left in it.

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
Hopefully a new CS comes out around that time as well. Unless they wait and release that withy the next hl'whatever'. Still, considering how short portal was I kind of doubt they will release it on its own, unless they intend on this one to be longer.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
I'm still saying there will be no HL2: Ep3 and it's instead being turned into HL3 with a new engine and whatnot.

Good news about portal 2 anyways.

I would love that, i was absolutely gutted when i heard that the episodes essentially were half life 3... this was not made obvious from the beginning at all! I want a real sequal not bits of one over time =/

WaitingForNehalem

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2008
[UPDATE 3] Following weeks of cryptic teasers and a new Portal ending, Valve officially reveals new "full-fledged" sequel coming to PC and 360; GameStop listing confirms "multiplayer co-op mode,"
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6252985.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;1

I hate Valve! I'm so sick of everything being multi-platform. "Instead of using the strengths of each platform let's dumb it down to the lowest denominator". Companies have become pathetic. I understand the goal is to make more money but if they made the game even better on the PC due to it being exclusive, it'd sell more. Have you guys seen the L4D2 menu that was obviously designed for the Xbox 360? If this is still based on the source engine, I'm waiting until it gets <$20.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6252985.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;1

I hate Valve! I'm so sick of everything being multi-platform. "Instead of using the strengths of each platform let's dumb it down to the lowest denominator". Companies have become pathetic. I understand the goal is to make more money but if they made the game even better on the PC due to it being exclusive, it'd sell more. Have you guys seen the L4D2 menu that was obviously designed for the Xbox 360? If this is still based on the source engine, I'm waiting until it gets <$20.

Besides shallow UI issues, what exactly does the PC offer that would cause a PC-exclusive Portal to be so much better?

I'd rather companies make their games multiplatform, so that more people can enjoy the same titles. This is, of course, assuming that the developer has taken the time to actually develop the game for each seperate platform, rather than lazily porting it.

WaitingForNehalem

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2008
Besides shallow UI issues, what exactly does the PC offer that would cause a PC-exclusive Portal to be so much better?

I'd rather companies make their games multiplatform, so that more people can enjoy the same titles. This is, of course, assuming that the developer has taken the time to actually develop the game for each seperate platform, rather than lazily porting it.

Graphics, depth, game play, controls. There needs to be exclusives on every platform so that it gives you a reason to buy it. Otherwise, what's separating the PC from the Xbox 360 games wise?

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
Don't be a douche. I loved my PC Gaming back when I was still doing it and I will love it again once I get me a new graphics card. But I also have an Xbox and really enjoy playing it. Exclusive games that are exclusive because of some stupid reasons are the worst things that can happen to gaming. Now, a PS3 exclusive written specially for the PS3 hardware - sure. This one I can fully understand. But this? You get worse graphics and lower FPS on a console anyway but saying games for consoles are shallow is just ignorant. As for controls - a good company will make an UI for a console and a different one for PCs. Check out Mass Effect for example. Valve being a great company will ensure that both PC and console users enjoy their creation.

Why should people not having a PC suffer from some elitist, stupid attitude? Is a game that's also available for consoles causing you to somehow enjoy it less on a PC? No. Let others enjoy it too.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
I never understood the hype for this game. I only played it for about 30 minutes though. Does a story actually evolve out of it or is it puzzle after puzzle?

I don't get it either. I played it, finished it, and thought it was fun and amusing. But all this worship, I don't get.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I'd like to think that Portal 2 will give us more tie-ins to the HL games and then HL2:E3 will come out in 2011.

And I doubt a TF3 is in the works. They haven't even finished the first round of class updates. Even when they do, Valve has stated there will be a second round of them. TF2 still has a lot of life left in it.

Yes but tie-ins still don'e equal game. Obviously they've completely forgotten about Half Life.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Yes and it's both subtle and head on. My first entire play through portal was probably the best 3-4 hours of gaming I've ever experienced.

I'm curious to see head to head screen shots and game play videos to see what improvements have been made to the source engine for this game.

Same. Some days I'd put it at my #1 alltime. Other days I'd put maybe FF7 and EverQuest ahead of it. Either way it's amazing, if you haven't played it, do so.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Graphics, depth, game play, controls. There needs to be exclusives on every platform so that it gives you a reason to buy it. Otherwise, what's separating the PC from the Xbox 360 games wise?

Multiplatform games already have different graphical and control options, so those points are moot.

As for gameplay, what is so special about an FPS on PC that you can't achieve on a 360?

And depth? What does making a game PC exclusive have anything to do with depth? Depth can be achieved across all platforms, whether the game is exclusive or not.

Your suggestions don't hold any weight.

Last edited:

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Multiplatform games already have different graphical and control options, so those points are moot.

As for gameplay, what is so special about an FPS on PC that you can't achieve on a 360?

And depth? What does making a game PC exclusive have anything to do with depth? Depth can be achieved across all platforms, whether the game is exclusive or not.

Your suggestions don't hold any weight.

What are you doing in the pc gaming forum? :\ Seriously those points shouldnt need further explanation for somone whos gamed on the pc. Yeah it would be nice if all games were multiplatform and it all worked out nicely and every port used its given platforms strengths but this is the real world and that dosent happen, not at all.

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
i hope its alot longer and maybe more challenging (with some repeatability and randomness to it)
i wonder how they will tie in aperture science center with the borealis....

is the portal char going to be an antagonist who is at the borealis?