Portable Generators and "dirty power"

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
What you're seeing is the plug that goes into the panel. There's a plug for the genny attached to that cable through the wall to the back patio. .

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
I have a 4K Champion that I bought from some place like Auto Zone about 15 years ago.

We lived in the sticks at the time and the power went out occasionally. Never had a power failure there after that.

Did use it a few years ago, maybe twice in another place after owning for about 7 years. Started right up after sitting for so long. I ran it dry and added new fuel and stabilizer.

We are now in Ohio and I decided to fire it up after sitting for 3ish years. Started on the second pull.

Reactions: skyking

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Recently purchased this dual fuel inverter generator https://www.homedepot.com/p/Champio...-with-Ultra-Quiet-Technology-200994/316409966 and wall pass through kit https://www.homedepot.com/p/Relianc...erator-Through-the-Wall-Kit-WKPBN30/307438017

Like using propane as its easier to store and cycling through a couple tanks means there is always some on hand for the grill. Haven't really had a chance to put the system through it's paces but testing with the refrigerator went well. Apparently power outages end once you get somewhat prepared for them ;) Really just needed something to run the fridge and keep things charged.

I missed this post last year. That's the generator I ended up getting...and the same through the wall kit. I tested the pass-through when I installed it...haven't used it for an actual outage yet. I thought I was going to use it this morning. Power went out at 0500, I waited a bit to see if it was coming back on...nope, so I went out, dragged the generator out of the shed, fueled it up, got it started...then the power came back on.
abl.thumb.gif
Let it run for about an hour to recharge the starting battery ...then put it back in the shed. It was raining too much to worry about draining the fuel tank. I'll do that in a day or two.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Finally got to use the generator last night. Bad storm rolled through, power went out just after midnight. Got the genny running and connected in just a few minutes...took much longer to figure out the Gen-Tent cover. (a smart man would have done that a LONG time ago)
Power was out just over 4 hours...but we had heat from the pellet stove, some lights, and TV (until we went to bed around 2 am)

Reactions: lxskllr and iRONic
Nov 17, 2019
For some reason, I can't sleep well under abnormal conditions, like during a power outage, no matter that the generator is outside. I need to know that things have stabilized before I can relax to that degree. I can nap a bit, but not really sleep.