Portable Air Conditioning?

Prince of Persia

Oct 10, 1999
Does anyone know where I can get something like this? I live in a 2 story house and the upstairs rooms are always hot! I'm looking to buy a small air conditioning system that I could use for one room to keep it nice and cool. Is there such a thing?

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I've heard of such a thing, but I believe it's quite expensive ($1,500 or something like that). Basically it's an AC unit that doesn't require a window mount.

Viper GTS

hzl eyed grl

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
Portable Air Conditioning--Hmmmm...Cut holes in your clothes? That way when you move, you'll feel a gentle breeze. :Q Heehee

Kjazlaw

Feb 18, 2000
if you live in an area that's relatively non-humid, you can look into a swamp cooler.

Raincity

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2000
There are some portable ac units that dont require a window mount but need to use the window to exhaust the warm air. Evap coolers work well also if the temp never rises past 95 in a dry climate with very little humidity and are alot cheaper.

Rain

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Yeah, there are portable air conditioning.. check out Sears. They're about 3-4x the price of a normal one though. Also, they still require a window, but you don't have to mount it.. it's just a tube that you have to stick out the window.

claw

Jan 13, 2000
Aren't we forgetting the second law of themodynamics? If it gets cooler inside, something must get hotter if net entropy is not decreased. So the exhaust must go somewhere if not out your window.

There are portable units that dehumidify your air so it doesn't feel as hot to your body though (even though the place still remains the same temperature).

billandopus

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 1999
I've got a Danby 6,000 BTU unit and it works pretty well. The convenience is the kicker though. You can move it around from your living room to your bedroom easily and get nice cool air. Portable A/C units don't cost 1500 bucks. Unless you get the top-o-the-line ones with gold leafing or what.

My model retails at your local Home Depot for around 600 bucks or so give or take a few dollars. Haven't checked the retail price lately but that's ballpark.

It has multiple modes from cooling to dehumidifying to fan to heat. 4 in one. We're very glad to have bought it. The price of admission is relatively high but it's worth it. Some names for portable A/C units include Danby, Toyotomi, I think Carrier has some and others.

I haven't checked out WombatWoman's link but it's probably the A/C thread awhile back.

You can buy port A/C units at any Home Depot whatever.

If your needs are simple and always in the same area then you might consider getting a window-shaker unit as they are cheaper per BTU and more cost effective. They also have high BTU ratings for greater output. But the caveats are that they don't move, you have to do some fancy install here and there although it's not hard, the unit will stick out your window and it will be a security risk and a window unit may not even be an option if you are renting since it's invasive with regards to setup.

Farbio

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2000
i like hazel's theory.....but personally, i'd like to see her show it off first

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
My parents have a Toshiba portable AC. This thing is on castors and my parents had a special window piece made for the exhaust tube which looks like the tube used by cloths dryers.

It cools quite well but the unit is very noisy.

Cheers,
Aquaman

hzl eyed grl

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999

<< i like hazel's theory.....but personally, i'd like to see her show it off first >>

*Walks in sporting the &quot;new look&quot;* Do you like it, Farbio? ;) Now it's your turn.....