Port Royale 3

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
SRSLY- no thread on this game?

I bought it on Steam and tried playing it against my standard operating procedure of waiting for a couple of patches and I was having great fun until the game crashed and then I realized the autosave wasn't working.

Apparently autosave only works when you start a new game - if you load a saved game it never activates, unless you start a new game first then from that game go to the main menu and load your old save game - which I didnt know about until I lost 4 hours playtime...

Yeah so I'm going to have to shelf it until some patches come out as I really hate to repeat stuff in games.

Other than that and some issues where pirates are a bit too strong and stationed fleets dont defend your towns it plays very well and is quite addictive.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
I want it, but I'm cheap.

Well, you'll benefit from waiting for a patch or two and hopefully some steam sale comes up then.

I love the Patrician games so Port Royale was a no brainer for me, even though I didnt play the previous Port Royales!

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I've thought of picking up Port Royal 2 when it hits a sale (if 3's sale isn't a big enough discount). I never played the series but it does look neat.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
I agree with your OP. The game is fun enough, but it got super repetitive for me... so far. I started my initial game and made it through all of the tutorials and then restarted and ranked up like six times in the first half hour lol.

I'm hoping being a pirate is more fun.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
I've thought of picking up Port Royal 2 when it hits a sale (if 3's sale isn't a big enough discount). I never played the series but it does look neat.

It's only $4.99 on Steam; picked it up last week, but haven't had a chance to do much in it yet.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
I bought Port Royale 2 at Target.

It's pretty intimidating at first; I didn't have time to really get into it.

Albatross

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2001
Is this game any different from the Anno series?

Last edited:

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Is this game any different from the Anno series?

Yeah its got quite a lot of difference from ANNO, but it's in the same spirit on in-depth gameplay and complexity.

This game is much more about trading and massing wealth/reputation than it is building a city or island.

I would say the two games are pretty much inverse depthness with respects to trading vs city building, where ANNO goes deep into city building and has minor trading options while Port Royale 3/Patrician are deep into trading/economy simulation and minor city building.

But all in all I feel it's quite safe to say if you enjoy one you will enjoy the other.

Albatross

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2001
Yeah its got quite a lot of difference from ANNO, but it's in the same spirit on in-depth gameplay and complexity.

This game is much more about trading and massing wealth/reputation than it is building a city or island.

I would say the two games are pretty much inverse depthness with respects to trading vs city building, where ANNO goes deep into city building and has minor trading options while Port Royale 3/Patrician are deep into trading/economy simulation and minor city building.

But all in all I feel it's quite safe to say if you enjoy one you will enjoy the other.

Thanks.

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
I watched a 'lets play' on youtube last night for about an hour. It seemed very spreadsheetesque to me. I was barely paying attention as it was playing on my second monitor, but from the little I did gather I wasn't feeling the need to want to play.

I didn't know what to expect either as I havn't read into it or knew anything about the previous games. I guess I was hoping for an enhanced version of Sid Meijers Pirates without the rock paper scissors battles.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
With respect to Pirates!

I would say Pirates is more of an action game, where as Port Royale 3 is more of a trade simulation game.

You can attack ships in PR3 which takes you to a tactical battle which is very very similar to the tactical battles in Pirates! The only difference I can see is there is no fencing duel when you board ships, instead a battle is resolved automatically based on various factors.

But you can capture ships, there are a pretty wide variety of ships like galleons, frigates, ship of the line with their respective strengths/weakness, and you can hire more sailors.

You can also attack towns and capture them under your own banner.

But again the game feels alot more of a economy game and mroe 'spreadsheet game' as the previous poster says and less of an action game like Pirates felt

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I had lots of fun years and years ago with Port Royale and Port Royale 2. Didn't know 3 was out to be honest, but it sounds like I'd be best to wait a couple of months to see if they patch it.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
They just patched it today actually. They fixed the autosave bug, some LAN play bug, and achievement bugs :p

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I liked 4 better as pirates become more manageable so you could actually have a trading game instead of a constant combat simulator.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
I would say the two games are pretty much inverse depthness with respects to trading vs city building, where ANNO goes deep into city building and has minor trading options while Port Royale 3/Patrician are deep into trading/economy simulation and minor city building. But all in all I feel it's quite safe to say if you enjoy one you will enjoy the other.

Well put.
I remember playing Port Royale 2 a long time ago and i remember it being a lot of fun. So will definitely be looking forward to this. Currently playing Anno 2070 which takes up a LOT of your time. So when i'm done with it, i'll definitely be moving on to PR3.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
With respect to Pirates!

I would say Pirates is more of an action game, where as Port Royale 3 is more of a trade simulation game.

You can attack ships in PR3 which takes you to a tactical battle which is very very similar to the tactical battles in Pirates! The only difference I can see is there is no fencing duel when you board ships, instead a battle is resolved automatically based on various factors.

But you can capture ships, there are a pretty wide variety of ships like galleons, frigates, ship of the line with their respective strengths/weakness, and you can hire more sailors.

You can also attack towns and capture them under your own banner.

But again the game feels alot more of a economy game and mroe 'spreadsheet game' as the previous poster says and less of an action game like Pirates felt

So it's Elite only on water instead of space? That doesn't sound so bad. I never played any of the Port Royale games, but I'm jonesing for a good action pirate game. Do you at least get to plunder the Silver Train?

The one thing I'll never get about video games is no one tried to outdo the other. Pirates! has been out for eons, but not many of the dozens of pirate games that have come out after it have manage to capture all of the elements of it or characteristics. Dueling other captains was a blast, wooing governor's daughter's was like a mini-game of delight. There's a lot more that no one has even bothered to copy.