Port fowarding is awesome.....

NokiaDude

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2002
I set Kazaa to use a specific port to recieve incomming connections. Then I went in my router and used "Virtual Server" to foward the port to my computer. Now Kazaa Lite downloads stuff blazingly fast. I thought it was Kazaa Lite itself, I was totally wrong.

NokiaDude

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2002
No money for newsgroups, IRC is like a jungle to me. I just want to click, type, search, click, and download.

NokiaDude

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2002
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
I'm from the RIAA. Thanks, I can connect to your machine now. Let's see what you've got!

- M4H

Oh noes, my PC has been haxored?

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
What does forwarding the port do that makes it faster? Are you on a college campus where they block or limit speed on those ports?

Crusty

Lifer
Sep 30, 2001
Originally posted by: AgaBooga
What does forwarding the port do that makes it faster? Are you on a college campus where they block or limit speed on those ports?
That would be the only reason I could think why you would want to forward Kazaa's ports....

NokiaDude

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2002
I believe it makes a "tunnel" for the data to go straight to your computer, instead of having to wait and find your PC on the network. This tunnel is like the carpool lane on the freeway, all the other traffic has to go the speed of traffic, while the data on the "carpool" lane goes straight to its destination alot faster. Or maybe my built in firewall takes time to inspect the data and finds out where it's going to which slows it down, with port fowarding it says, "okay, go on through".

Crusty

Lifer
Sep 30, 2001
Originally posted by: NokiaDude
I believe it makes a "tunnel" for the data to go straight to your computer, instead of having to wait and find your PC on the network. This tunnel is like the carpool lane on the freeway, all the other traffic has to go the speed of traffic, while the data on the "carpool" lane goes straight to its destination alot faster. Or maybe my built in firewall takes time to inspect the data and finds out where it's going to which slows it down, with port fowarding it says, "okay, go on through".

As long as you request the data your firewall will not block it, it is only there to block data that you didn't request. At least that is the way most home router/firewalls work.

NokiaDude

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2002
Originally posted by: MCrusty

As long as you request the data your firewall will not block it, it is only there to block data that you didn't request. At least that is the way most home router/firewalls work.
I think my router is dumb and makes the firewall inspect everything that passes through. I really want a Linksys soon.

acemcmac

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Virtual Server is a feature on D-link routers... I never thought any differently of it than port forwarding or DMZ on a lynksis or other router, but considering I am dealing with college bandwith limmitations per port, if there is a way I can get around that stuff for my outgoing connections (I dont want to be a server) It would certainly be worth playing around with.

<trods off to find the dlink manual...

Crusty

Lifer
Sep 30, 2001
Originally posted by: MCrusty

I think my router is dumb and makes the firewall inspect everything that passes through. I really want a Linksys soon.

I doubt your router is dumb, it is prolly a standard NAT firewall. There isn't much room to be dumb...

fs5

Lifer
Jun 10, 2000
I set Kazaa to use a specific port to recieve incomming connections. Then I went in my router and used "Virtual Server" to foward the port to my computer. Now Kazaa Lite downloads stuff blazingly fast. I thought it was Kazaa Lite itself, I was totally wrong.

uh.. I don't understand how port fowarding makes things faster. All it does is skip the NAT layer. Shouldn't be much overhead for any decent router.

NokiaDude

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2002
Originally posted by: fivespeed5

uh.. I don't understand how port fowarding makes things faster. All it does is skip the NAT layer. Shouldn't be much overhead for any decent router.

My router is a crappy SMC, from 1999. I don't know why but port forwarding just makes downloads faster. :hs: