Port forwarding when using second router as AP

jmelinte

Oct 28, 2014
I live in an older house with a daylight basement, where my family room is set up. Unfortunately, my wifi router is on the complete opposite end of the house, so my signal is pretty poor. I've tried several different high powered routers, but neither can get me consistent high signal to all my components. As a result, I have two high speed powerline adapters linking my main router to a WRT54G, which I have set up to be an Access Point (same ssid, no dhcp). Everything works great this way, but I'd like to improve my connection speed for console gaming by forwarding some ports to open my NAT. I can see my PS4 and Xbox in the DHCP list on the main router. If I set up port forwarding on the main router for them, will it carry through, even though they're accessing the network through the AP? Any elaboration on this would be greatly appreciated.

azazel1024

Jan 6, 2014
Yeah, you are fine. What would probably help speed things up a lot more is trashing that ancient 11g router and getting something vaguely later half of the 2000's. Even a simple N150 router is going to work a lot better as an access point (even with 10/100 ports it is probably going to work a lot better).

jmelinte

Oct 28, 2014
Thanks, I'll work on this some more. With regard to changing routers, I've found the wrt54g to be very stable, although dated. I do have an old D-Link DIR-645 running stock firmware, and I actually had a noticeable drop in speed (especially Netflix buffering) when I switched it out. Any idea why? The configuration was essentially the same as the wrt54g. My main router is a Linksys WRT600n running dd-wrt, by the way.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
I have a WRT54GL with DD-WRT and never had trouble with Netflix. If the D-Link is the problem that I could see. My router has been solid fro at least eight years now. B ut I do plan on buying a RT N66U. If you do plan on a new router get this one. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833320091

If you want to flash it with DD-WRT read this thread. http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=171783&highlight=

They say to use the wps button to reset. I don't understand this as this router has a wps button and a reset button.

0n3xrIz.jpg

Last edited:

jmelinte

Oct 28, 2014
The D-link was one I tried to use as an AP in place of the WRT54g, and even though it's an ABGN router, it buffered much slower when streaming Netflix as a benchmark. The weird thing is that SpeedTest numbers were better with the D-Link, although performance was not...