Pope declares Evolution and Big Bang are right.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
He's still plugging intelligent design. He's just acknowledging that there is a large amount of evidence in favor of evolution that cannot be ignored. One day if we have proof we revolved from a primordial soup, he'll be saying that god mixed that soup...

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Pope 1 : Science um still 1?

At least, this will hopefully shut up some of the creationism morons.

It seems more to me like he is accepting the theories of the Big Bang and evolution and saying that before that, which cannot yet be explained, was what was created by God, with the intent of the final product being the world we live on and Man. This is still believing in an invisible man, but it is a step in the right direction.

surfsatwerk

Lifer
Mar 6, 2008
He's still plugging intelligent design. He's just acknowledging that there is a large amount of evidence in favor of evolution that cannot be ignored. One day if we have proof we revolved from a primordial soup, he'll be saying that god mixed that soup...

To me that's perfectly fine because that type of thinking isn't the kind that gets kids taught the earth is 1,500 years old, or whatever such nonsense believes.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004

You just said what he said only with different beliefs.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
The church has turned a blind eye towards Evolution since almost its inception; specifically saying there's nothing intrinsically wrong with it in the 50s... This isn't amazingly exceptional except that it more forces creationist Catholics to eat their words and accept the world around them or not be Catholic anymore I guess...

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
So the Pope declares them right, that makes the right?

You probably know this OP, they've accepted evolution for decades, so this isn't ground breaking.

Stop making this man something he isnt. He's still believes God directed it, so nothing has changed with this.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
you point exactly??

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004

No, he isn't. He's specifically going against intelligent design. From what I could gather reading the article. He's basically saying god created the spark that started the universe and let it roll (my words though the article is short of details). He didn't use a magic wand and tinker around with the universe.

Last edited:

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004

You probably know this OP, they've accepted evolution for decades, so this isn't ground breaking.

Stop making this man something he isnt. He's still believes God directed it, so nothing has changed with this.

Exactly this.

You just said what he said only with different beliefs.

No; I'm pointing out that the church is just caving to science because they can't fight it. Yes, this is a good move as we hopefully won't tech kids that humans and dinosaurs lived together...but it's just passing the buck until science proves something else. (A Futurama episode comes to mind.)

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004

To Catholics it does (should maybe better word).

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
.but it's just passing the buck until science proves something else. (A Futurama episode comes to mind.)

And? That isn't new. It has happened for every scientific discovery. He is simply using God, which he believes in, created everything and set evolution in motion. He is denouncing the nonsense that has been put forth as facts: intelligent design and creationism.

So, I wonder what that guy always debating Bill Nye is going to say now?

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
No; I'm pointing out that the church is just caving to science because they can't fight it. Yes, this is a good move as we hopefully won't tech kids that humans and dinosaurs lived together...but it's just passing the buck until science proves something else. (A Futurama episode comes to mind.)

I think this is 100 percent dead on. Catholics should care about WHY he's declaring evolution "right".

It shows that the Church doesn't have a shred of credibility anymore, and instead of leading (like the should), they're reacting.

That's not a good sign for a religion...it usually precedes a demise.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Exactly this.

There is no "caving." There are different belief systems and science will never disprove the existence of God but, you go right ahead with your "scientific" dogma. There's room for all kinds. God judges in the end, I don't.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
And? That isn't new. It has happened for every scientific discovery. He is simply using God, which he believes in, created everything and set evolution in motion. He is denouncing the nonsense that has been put forth as facts: intelligent design and creationism.

So, I wonder what that guy always debating Bill Nye is going to say now?

As noted above, Pope John Paul II already put the weight of the catholic church behind evolution.

“Evolution in nature is not inconsistent with the notion of creation, because evolution requires the creation of beings that evolve.”

He's still talking about intelligent design. He's just saying that instead of god designing humans as they are today, he designed them to become what they are today. I'd be curious to get the answer to "did god guide evolution" as well.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Simple solution for those who need fairytales.

God created Earth in 6 days... 6 of God's days. Which turns out to be millions... or billions... of our years. Bam, evolution resolved in the minds of... well, I'll try to be nice.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
The other news article this week has ISIS declaring evolution illegal. Does this mean the Catholic Church is declaring war against ISIS?

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
There is no "caving." There are different belief systems and science will never disprove the existence of God but, you go right ahead with your "scientific" dogma. There's room for all kinds. God judges in the end, I don't.

Yes, there is caving; same as the catholic church finally caved to the heliocentric model (it took them roughly 300 years to do so.) The catholic church in both cases opposed the theories even when proof started to stack up (such as Newton's publications helping to put a bit of weight behind Copernicus' model in the 17th century - and Copernicus proposed his model in the 16th Century) - it wasn't until the 19th century when the catholic church finally allowed publications of books extolling the heliocentric model.

The catholic church - and many religions as well - have a troubled history when it comes to science. Instead of saying "interesting theory, go ahead and find evidence now" they say "that flies in the face of our beliefs and it is therefor false....until you have so much evidence that we either have to admit that we've got our fingers in our ears or acknowledge the advancement of science."

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Yes, there is caving; same as the catholic church finally caved to the heliocentric model (it took them roughly 300 years to do so.) The catholic church in both cases opposed the theories even when proof started to stack up (such as Newton's publications helping to put a bit of weight behind Copernicus' model in the 17th century - and Copernicus proposed his model in the 16th Century) - it wasn't until the 19th century when the catholic church finally allowed publications of books extolling the heliocentric model.

The catholic church - and many religions as well - have a troubled history when it comes to science. Instead of saying "interesting theory, go ahead and find evidence now" they say "that flies in the face of our beliefs and it is therefor false....until you have so much evidence that we either have to admit that we've got our fingers in our ears or acknowledge the advancement of science."

And science never changes it's viewpoint or adjusts it's theories to reflect new discoveries? Scientists never shun, disregard or, fail to publish the work of other scientists who disagree with the status quo? Is science just "caving?" If I follow your example, I should preach that science is bogus because significant scientists were wrong about so much. It seems to me that science breeds as many rabid intolerant followers as religion ever did. You think maybe it has something to do with the human condition?

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
And science never changes it's viewpoint or adjusts it's theories to reflect new discoveries? Scientists never shun, disregard or, fail to publish the work of other scientists who disagree with the status quo? Is science just "caving?" If I follow your example, I should preach that science is bogus because significant scientists were wrong about so much. It seems to me that science breeds as many rabid intolerant followers as religion ever did. You think maybe it has something to do with the human condition?

It is much less of a problem. It's built into science to readjust as new observations are made and old ones proven false. It is built into many religions that the information they have is either directly handed down by a divine omnipotent being or inspired by one.

It seems to me that science breeds far more well balanced people that weigh the information given to them. Do some people that follow science end up intolerant of new information? Yes, but I'd hardly pin that on science.