Poor time to build new system?

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Is this kind of a bad time to build a new system with AM5 rumors floating around for a release this year?

Been sort of thinking about doing a fresh build for pure gaming with no bloat/extra software and leave my current PC as is. Just swap my 1080ti back in this one and put the 3080ti in the new build. Part of me thinks it foolish to build something now while another part of me says just do it.

Thinking either a 12700k or 5900x and know either will do just fine but would the timing be poor if done now?

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Is this kind of a bad time to build a new system with AM5 rumors floating around for a release this year?

Been sort of thinking about doing a fresh build for pure gaming with no bloat/extra software and leave my current PC as is. Just swap my 1080ti back in this one and put the 3080ti in the new build. Part of me thinks it foolish to build something now while another part of me says just do it.

Thinking either a 12700k or 5900x and know either will do just fine but would the timing be poor if done now?
You know the answer. You've been a valued long time poster here. There's always something better in the future. Right now is probably the best time. Last year, I built my rig and spent way too much money because there was a shortage in parts. Today, my CPU, SSD and ram are almost half price. But that's ok. My old rig died and it was about time to build a new one anyways. I went all out and built my dream rig like I always do. Everything except for a new video card. Not a serious gamer and cards were going for 2x-3x. Eff that. You already got a 3080 Ti so you should be in great shape. If it's time for an upgrade, don't wait for the future. The future is now.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
You know the answer. You've been a valued long time poster here. There's always something better in the future. Right now is probably the best time. Last year, I built my rig and spent way too much money because there was a shortage in parts. Today, my CPU, SSD and ram are almost half price. But that's ok. My old rig died and it was about time to build a new one anyways. I went all out and built my dream rig like I always do. Everything except for a new video card. Not a serious gamer and cards were going for 2x-3x. Eff that. You already got a 3080 Ti so you should be in great shape. If it's time for an upgrade, don't wait for the future. The future is now.
Guess I just needed reassurance lol

I don't even necessarily need a new system for my target resolution but it would be nice. I might start slowly gathering parts a bit at a time looking for best deals.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I always have these type of questions too. I haven't updated anything in my rig except the PSU and the GPU.

If you aren't wanting to wait for the next Intel series then now would be a good time since you don't need another gpu. I'm assuming you would also go DDR5? Prices may have gone down in that category a little since the last time I checked.

I wanted to do a fresh build when I got a new case but prices were all over. Then the 12th gen Intel processor reviews weren't that great and DDR5 ram was/still is expensive along with the new motherboards.

I think I told myself I'll wait because this fall Intel 13th gen will be out which should be much better in performance than my 9900k now. I primarily use a VR flight application that needs a very strong processor so I would always go Intel/Nvidia since I know AMD and VR dont play that nice and I already have a gsync monitor anyway.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Assuming you are still running the gear in your sig, with an 8700k @ 4.7GHz, I would say wait for Raptor Lake
Guess I just needed reassurance lol

I don't even necessarily need a new system for my target resolution but it would be nice. I might start slowly gathering parts a bit at a time looking for best deals.
Assuming you are still running the same gear in your sig, with the 8700k @ 4.7GHz, I would say you are fine for now, and should wait a little longer for AM5 and Zen4 or Raptor lake. Now if you are having any issues with the current setup, that would be a different story.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Been sort of thinking about doing a fresh build for pure gaming with no bloat/extra software and leave my current PC as is.
It's a bad time to build a high performance flagship machine, but it's a good time for building a high value gaming rig.

If you just want a dedicated gaming system, the 5800X3D is the way to go. It will stay close to flagship performance even after the AM5 and RTL launch, but for a fraction of the cost. No need for fancy RAM, no need for fancy cooling, no manual overclocking available (not a plus, just a reality), so not much tinkering. All you can do is assemble and game :)

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Raptor vs Alder isn't that big of a leap to wait for. Jumping from and older processor to ADL though is a decent leap as I did from 8700K > 12700K because there were huge leaps from PCI 3 > 5, DDR option to 5, NVME up to 5 from 3, Hybrid cores and so on. 10/11th gen wasn't appealing enough to make the leap and was more of a a stopgap release by Intel anyway.

DDR5 still is about 50% higher than DDR4 for the same performance.

I'm keeping one eye on the new AM5 / Zen4 just out of curiosity how it will compete but, there's a premium there as well o pricing.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I really like the tone of this reply.

While new stuff is getting close now, I will not be an AM5 early adopter. Did that with RDNA, and sure it is the bleeding edge, but I nearly bled out. 13th gen; yeah that's a lucky number, GG Intel. :p Besides, it is not as if games or apps are going to make a 12700K or 5900 look weak for a good number of years to come. Console targets will ensure that.

However, if you are the type that gets buyer's remorse, wait.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
It depends on what kind of consumer you are.

If you are okay with zen4 launching this fall and being faster (and more expensive), then you can buy now. If you're in doubt, you can wait until launch and buy into whatever platform you feel like give you most value, based on facts instead of speculations.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Biggest problem is DDR5. I doubt Raptor lake is going to be a great replacement for Alderlake, no socket compatible upgrade from Intel ever has been. So you do have Alderlake as a very fast and affordable system with DDR4 if you wanted (I would want). Or if its just absolutely only games, you could go 5800X3d and have the quickest gaming CPU (but for once AMD loses on MT)and for the tier of game performance get it at a really good price. Or wait till the 5900X3D launches and get a MT powerhouse with top tier gaming but probably at 12900k pricing.

But probably till 2024 when most production has moved over to DDR5 and the dust has settled, on top of getting whatever Zen4 early adopter experience (price or platform issues). You will being paying a heck of a premium on memory that won't even perform that great to DDR4.

Thats my feeling. I wish Zen 4 was going to be dual memory platforms like Intel. But I can't see trying to build a system with DDR5 any time soon.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
@Topweasel 2024 is going to be a different ballgame though with everyone going chiplet configuration such as Arrow Lake

1658667646830.png

This will allow for keeping the same socket and being able to shuffle things around within the same real estate on the die itself vs changing the socket every other year like has been the case for the past ~6 gens.

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
You can always buy something more powerful than before, so in that regard, its no worse than it has been.

But there are special periods, when Stars align and we see more significant jumps in performance or better said price/performance ratio and right now, its not that kind of time. It was between 2017 and 2019, when AMD introduced Ryzen and in order to win the mindshare, priced their new stuff aggresively. That seems to be over now, sadly.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
My sunset future seems uncertain or short, despite what seems to be ongoing good health at 74 with mild pre-existing conditions. I've watched my elderly Moms decline from using her computer in early 2016 to being totally unable to use the ROKU remote control, stand up and walk, or just remember what time it is after I told her five minutes earlier.

I NEED my computers. Two of them are tip-top high-performance whizzes, but they are identical and I built the first of them five years ago with a processor released at least a year or two before that, so I can either try the registry hacks to install Win 11, or start building a new system sometime over the next 2+ years. Or switch over to a Linux-based OS, which I do not prefer.

I've been pondering ADL -- probably the 12700K. I might even build the Alder Lake two years from now. Who cares? Five years after that, I might wake up one day unable to remember my logon password . . . Or -- my surviving brother or cousin will be scattering my ashes somewhere or putting me sex-feet under.

What's my major concern of the moment? Over the last 40 days, there have been four power outages occurring at 2AM in the morning, and I have to manage the UPS systems beeping crazily, making sure the entire household network is shut down in an orderly way. Those have to be "planned" outages, all coinciding with the early-morning time when demand for power is low. Nobody at the power company thinks to inform the public in advance. Spectrum is on the ball, though! I get e-mails exclaiming that "service has been restored -- when I'd like to hear that service will be interrupted before it happens.

In the midst of watching the world slowly come to an end, we're trying to decide when to build a new computer. Something to keep our minds off the pending doom, I suppose . . . . That's a positive thing.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
Really happy with my budget 5800X3D build I built in late April. By far the easiest system I’ve built since it is extremely barebones; reusing several components from previous build. My first AMD build since 2004. Should pair well with an RTX 4000/RX 7000 series.

Another factor is RAM usage. If you need lots of RAM, I’d stick with DDR4 for now. Having 64GB for under $270 felt like an easy choice for me, since I need all the RAM I can get. I see prices are actually a bit higher than they were in early May…

Once DDR4 supply runs low, it just won’t make sense to invest in these old platforms.

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
@ZGR https://www.nowinstock.net/computers/memory/

Looks like DDR5 would run about $340 for 2x32GB
View attachment 64970

The extra costs are with the MOBO though usually 1.5X that of a DDR4 MOBO.

AM5 will only be DDR5 though which should ramp production from current levels to meet demand and drive prices down further by the end of the year.

if i wanted 64GB, is it safe to get 2x same 32GB kits instead of single matched 64GB one? I checked local retailer and they had only 5200MHz 64GB. If i wanted more, like 6000, then i have to buy 2 separate 32GB kits.
this may still change till september-november, but who knows.

i know this used to be recommended against in the past, but perhaps its not such an issue nowadays with ddr5.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
I don't personally think it makes much of a difference but, if you run into issues make sure you have a good return policy that doesn't take a restocking fee off the refund.

With DDR5 "sets" being sold w/ a markup compared to 2 individual sticks I'd roll the dice to save the extra cash for something else like better fans.

1658691368892.png

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
@ZGR https://www.nowinstock.net/computers/memory/

Looks like DDR5 would run about $340 for 2x32GB
View attachment 64970

The extra costs are with the MOBO though usually 1.5X that of a DDR4 MOBO.

AM5 will only be DDR5 though which should ramp production from current levels to meet demand and drive prices down further by the end of the year.

Good point. I double dipped in the DDR3 generation for a solid performance gain. I don’t regret it, but I just had extra RAM laying around I needed to sell.

DDR5 is getting really fast and I feel like DDR5 5600 is gonna feel like DDR4 2400 all over again.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Good point. I double dipped in the DDR3 generation for a solid performance gain. I don’t regret it, but I just had extra RAM laying around I needed to sell.

DDR5 is getting really fast and I feel like DDR5 5600 is gonna feel like DDR4 2400 all over again.
It all comes down to how your system actually buses it.

Reactions: Tlh97 and ZGR

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022

It is far from bad, but it's not the best time either. A bad time is when there is a component shortage and you either can't get what you need/want or only at a big markup.

You seem to be driving a 4k monitor, so probably don't lose that much with the coffee lake CPU, so you might just want to wait a while. Once AM5 comes out, you can also check the 2nd hand market for a nice AM4 mobo + CPU that probably go down in price a lot.

Last edited:

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Normally, I do not suggest waiting. You'll be waiting until October at least, and then you'll be fighting for limited chips at premium prices. So unless this is just a whim and you can wait 4+ months, then I would normally suggest just buying what you want now.

But there might be an exception this time to that general rule. Why? I do not recommend the Alder Lake i7 chips. There is an annoying feature that the E-cores are intended to perform the background tasks, but there aren't enough E-cores in the Alder Lake i7 line. The end result is if you have your computer set up wrong and if you click away from a heavy task (say to browse the internet) then your heavy work slows to a crawl running on the 4 weakest cores when you have your 8 strongest cores sitting mostly idle. This is avoidable through Windows settings and by keeping background tasks on a different monitor. But, why deal with those hoops? For Alder Lake, get the 12900F or do the 12600. If you really think the i7 line is right for you, then wait for Raptor Lake.

If you really will never do anything but gaming, then the exception doesn't apply.

Last edited:
Reactions: cmdrdredd

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Why? I do not recommend the Alder Lake i7 chips.
Gamers don't care about the freE cores, worst case they just disable and forget. The 5800XD and 12700K are close enough in terms of pricing to be great picks for gaming as pure 8-cores, each with their own strength depending on the gaming focus of the build.

For Alder Lake, get the 12900F or do the 12600.
For an Intel high perf gaming build I would only recommend K chips, due to their decision to lock SA voltage on 12th gen non-K CPUs. This means using good XMP memory is a hit or miss, and Alder Lake likes fast memory for gaming.