Poor Ryzen Performance in Business Applications

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Please look the benchmarks on the site as well as what I linked. In Solidworks for example in tasks which look like they only use 2-6 threads, Ryzen is 25-35% behind. This seems excessive and what I would deem poor performance. It makes up ground in the render tests. This brings me back to the whole point of this thread and if we can expect improvements. That's why I am leaning towards 8700k machines right now with some TR boxes for remote rendering.

I have a thread asking questions related to the performance of CPU's I am considering. I'm not here to make you feel good about your CPU purchase.
Your feelings about me or my past posts have nothing to do with this thread and are darn near personal attacks.

Buy one of each. You're deploying 18 systems. Get the first 2-3 and test them against each other. You're going to get an 8700k and a threadripper anyway. Just buy both now then deploy the system you like best.
You can paypal me my consulting fee....

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
TR is in only one of the benches linked by OP. The 1950x does pretty well against the 7980XE considering it comes at half cost. But hey if price isn't an issue, just get everyone 7980XEs or maybe Xeon Platinum 8180s and call it a day.

Also you don't have to pay $499 for the R7-1800x anymore:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/7qyxFT/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-36ghz-8-core-processor-yd180xbcaewof

If doing any kind of CAD work, you will want highest clockspeed + IPC available, which is probably 8700k. But you will have to wait awhile for any large deployment of those CPUs, and when they come they will not be at MSRP (sorry).

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
That being said, what about the lost value from "waiting" on an i7-8700K supply large enough to outfit the design office?

Versus just buying TR 1950x TODAY, and dealing with it.

Though, I can see your point about less-threaded applications, benefiting more from raw clock speed + IPC than number of cores + SMT. (Though for DC work, the latter is generally better, since it scales really well to most arbitrary core counts.)

slashy16

Mar 24, 2017
That being said, what about the lost value from "waiting" on an i7-8700K supply large enough to outfit the design office?

This is a major issue. The purchase request / purchase order and invoice all have to be completed / paid before December 15th to make it into this years capital budget.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Buy one of each. You're deploying 18 systems. Get the first 2-3 and test them against each other. You're going to get an 8700k and a threadripper anyway. Just buy both now then deploy the system you like best.
You can paypal me my consulting fee....

Ding ding ding. That's exactly what we did at work. 2 vs 2 to start and then pick the better one. In most cases people didn't even notice the difference real world.

Reactions: coercitiv

SpaceBeer

Apr 2, 2016
Because in e.g. CAD, where ST (high clocks, high IPC) is more important, average operations last for few seconds. So 15% faster CPU means you'll save half of second, maybe even one.

The best Puget test I've seen is between stock and overclocked i7-7700K in SolidWorks. And conclusion is - OC of workstation CPUs should be avoided, since it could help you save ~5 min per day. Which means CPU with 10% better ST performance will give you additional ~5 minutes per day. Maybe not even that much. On the other hand, if you need to render your models at the end of the day, better MT performance could help you save half an hour.

In my office, I use PC with i7-4790 inside, and colleague has i7-6700K. No one can see the difference in standard CAD tasks, but we all know on is 10-15% faster (in tests) than the other. The good thing is, CAD companies have started to optimize their products (at least some parts of those) for multi-core CPUs

Reactions: scannall

hasu

Apr 5, 2001
We are currently looking to replace 18 workstations that run a combination of Lightroom, Solidworks and Revit and possibly Premier Pro.

If you are going to spend so much money for the upgrade, wouldn't it be possible to build one of each and test if for yourself and post the results back here. I built a new i7-4790K based machine for Lightroom use to replace my old FX-8370E. But now when i work on my old computer I have mixed feelings. I have a feeling that AMD was not that bad or was in fact speedier. I will have to run some benchmarks myself to arrive at a conclusion.

I always liked AMD and even have AMD stocks in my retirement fund! I noticed that AMD always looses to competitors because of bad press and non-real worls benchmarks. Do you think you will see any difference between two computers with less less than 10% of performance difference?