Poor Performance in Fallout 4 (GTX 970)

Dijeangenie

Sep 11, 2012
Hi, I hope this is the right place to post this, I've just started playing fallout 4 however despite having a fairly decent computer, I am getting pretty bad performance issues.

I've had between 25-45 fps in an unpopulated area (the truck stop near the start of the game for anyone who has played it). I've been fiddling about with the settings but nothing I change appears to have any significant difference. I updated and the drivers and used geforce experience to optimize when I initially ran the game, but since then I've also run the game at completely minimum settings (and everything inbetween) and there is no significant difference in FPS (including dropping resolution from 1920x1080 to 1280x720)

Googling has shown me some possible fixes, such as playing with shadow settings, and v-sync (I've tried both of these). My fundamental question is why I dont see a performance increase when running the game on lowest possible settings and/or low resolution, make me worry if my pc isnt working properly - any ideas would be appreciated!

PC Specs are as follows:

CPU: i5-4960 @ 3.5 ghz
GPU: GTX 970 4GB
RAM: 8gb ddr3 (Exceleram 1600mhz)
SSD: SanDisk Z400s 256 GB (steam directory is on this)
Motherboard: MSI H81I LGA1150 Mini-ITX

If there is any other information I can provide that would help please let me know

Thanks

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Are you using the High texture add-on? On my main PC its works and looks great but on my gaming laptop I had to uninstall the high texture add-on as the gtx640m would run it at all and on the rare occasion when it did it looked so horrible.

Dijeangenie

Sep 11, 2012
Are you using the High texture add-on? On my main PC its works and looks great but on my gaming laptop I had to uninstall the high texture add-on as the gtx640m would run it at all and on the rare occasion when it did it looked so horrible.
Nope, It was hard enough downloading the 26gb of the main game on my internet from 2002, let alone the high texture add-on.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
That pc should have no problem running this game. My buddy has a worse CPU than you, 4GB of ddr2 memory and a GTX970 and plays the game with a mix of high and ultra getting a steady 50-60 fps. (according to him)

Do you have anything running in the back ground? Maybe try shutting everything down before running the game. See how the performance is. Do all games perform poorly?

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
the i5 setup (a gen older) + 970 I have runs the game great, so I would do a complete uninstall of the drivers with DDU, reload the latest geforce drivers (clean install) and then update GFE. I don't usually rely on third party software to optimize my games, but I would try manual settings first regardless. also make sure the game is completely up to date.

disable all AA and motion blur/depth of field settings.

Dijeangenie

Sep 11, 2012
That pc should have no problem running this game. My buddy has a worse CPU than you, 4GB of ddr2 memory and a GTX970 and plays the game with a mix of high and ultra getting a steady 50-60 fps. (according to him)

Do you have anything running in the back ground? Maybe try shutting everything down before running the game. See how the performance is. Do all games perform poorly?
Thats what made me make the thread - I've seen loads of people with very similar settings saying they were basically maxing out the game.

I've tried running it with as many processes as possible closed and it still doesn't run well.

Dijeangenie

Sep 11, 2012
the i5 setup (a gen older) + 970 I have runs the game great, so I would do a complete uninstall of the drivers with DDU, reload the latest geforce drivers (clean install) and then update GFE. I don't usually rely on third party software to optimize my games, but I would try manual settings first regardless. also make sure the game is completely up to date.

disable all AA and motion blur/depth of field settings.

Whats DDU? sorry if thats a stupid question

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
I have a problem with SLI only. Just eventually gets choppy. I started a similar thread. I think I have a bad component somewhere.

EH