Poor Mickey D's (is that how u spell it?)

403Forbidden

Banned
May 4, 2000
I hate all those french people that think they are too "cool" with their damn pastries, outdoor bistroes, and what have you. They have nothing better than to dis Eurodisney and Mcdonalds. Those a-holes went so far as to kill a fast0food worker over their stupidity.

Fact is they jock American pop culture but are just too proud to admit it. Thats why France will never become a powerhouse nation again. Compare them to Japan. Japan has no problem accepting American pop culture. They take it in and improve on it to make a superior product. All the French can do is stick onto their damn outdoor bistroes.

chipbgt

Banned
Nov 30, 1999
...your mother was a hampster, and your father smelt of elderberries.....now go away, or I shall taunt you some more....

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Most French folks seem to be dolts. I'm sure not all of them are, but the ones I've met sure are!

Of course, I do agree with them that they should rid themselves of McDonalds and other such crap. It's basically unhealthy stuff that appeals to some of the lowest common denominators in people - lazyness and convenience. I don't agree with the way they go about it -- they should simply not frequent those places, and they will go away.

As for American culture as a whole, there are many things that I very much like and appreciate about it. One of the things I don't appreciate about it is that corporate chains have pretty much taken over every industry. Cities have less and less of a 'unique flavor' to them -- you can walk through any city in the US, and see the same chain stores everywhere, the same restaurants, the same Home Depot's, the same KMart, Target , Walmart etc. Kinda sad. Even the music is now becoming cookie cutter made -- can anyone say "Britney" and "Nsync"?? I for one hope that when I go to different places around the world, Asia, Europe,South America, I don't see the same damn chains and hear the same damn music everywhere.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
the french are a bunch of weak panzies who let the germans walk over their nation because they didn't want them to wreck their precious buildings. what a bunch of well, you know the word for those types of people.

Celstar

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 1999
Did anyone bother to read the entire article? Despite what the writer says, he looks like a patriotic american who imposes his subjective views about this issue in the first line of the body:

I AM NOT a hamburger-waving patriot by any means, but it bothers me to see the French demolishing McDonald?s. I like a good rollicking protest as much as the next guy, but not when it?s one that makes me feel sorry for a clown-fronted corporation like McDonald?s.

I dont care either way. I hate McDonalds, and I'm indifferent about the French.

Frenchie

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 22, 1999
I know that I should post some sort of reply about generilizations and stereotyping here, but I won't! ;)

CyberSax

Banned
Mar 12, 2000
The funny thing is, McDonald's is actually preferable to most French food. Many tourists who go to Paris forego the escargot (hey it rhymes!) and hit the McDonald's instead. When I was in the U.K., there was a French cooking show at about 6:00 p.m. The vivid depictions of &quot;Chicken blood pie&quot; and &quot;Sheep brains with potatoes&quot; made so many Brits puke up their dinners that they called the BBC and had them cancel it.

Only good thing about French food is the pastry. Drool :p

Oh yeah, and I disagree with this statment (taken from that article) entirely:

McDonald?s may seem the ubiquitous symbol of American low taste, cultural arrogance, greed, gluttony, hegemony, Sleepy, Sneezy, etc., but French people do have the choice of whether or not to eat there.

Because that would be Hardees restraunt, or quite possibly Burger King.

Bobsteroo

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2000
I've spent some time in France for work..little town called Isoudoun (think thats how you spell it) anyways..I thought the people were very standoffish and rude. Their customer service was as if you owed them a favor. The food was bland and well..yukky.

But in their defense, they sold beer at the MickyD's.....

Gut feeling is that they are angry about being French

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
I hate people who overgeneralize. They're all the same... ;)

Anyways, I agree. McDonalds sucks. Whenever a Taco Bell or McDonalds is introduced to a neighbourhood, the whole neighbourhood is cheapened. Furthermore, not only is the food crappy, it's bad for you, and it isn't even all that cheap.

I applaud the French on this one.

&quot;Many tourists who go to Paris forego the escargot (hey it rhymes!) and hit the McDonald's instead.&quot;

Yeah, like the time I was in China, and all the tour members wanted was pizza. Gimme a break. Tons of good food and they want to eat pizza. It just shows their lack of openness in trying new things. By the way, French food does not equal escargot, but I gotta tell you, escargot is pretty damn good. MMMmmmmm... snails....

My fave was when we went to a wool and silk carpet factory where all the carpets were hand made. There were beautiful Persian/Chinese carpets, and all the tourists looked at was this really cheesy puke-green carpet with a deer on it that looked like something out of the movie Fargo.

No wonder the people in these countries think that North Americans are morons with no taste.

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
&quot;Forty years of French aesthetes proclaiming the genius of Jerry Lewis pretty much invalidates any claim they may have to being the standard-bearers of culture.&quot;

I do believe I've found my new sig . . . :D

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999

Hey, wait a minute. No one mentioned the honies. I married one.

Karen Reeda Du Bois. A real winner.

Imaginer

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Poor McDonalds?! They have markets elsewhere. What makes a difference that one country would not assimilate into the world of fast food?

HoopDogg

Banned
May 30, 2000
But you cant deny the hotness of french women!! ;) No, they don't have moustaches, or leg hair or pit hair, trust me. I know some DAMN FINE french women, and my god....... ooooooooooooooo.........

403Forbidden

Banned
May 4, 2000
Anyone who sympathizes with the French on this issue, even after they killed a fastfood worker, is really sick in the head.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Actually, you're right. I don't condone violence or vandalism in any form, even though I despise McD's. Wasn't aware they had killed a worker either - wasn't in that article.

Paul

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I wish fast food would just be gone. It will be funning to see what people will do without fastfood. A big majority of Americans are so dependent on the food that kills.