Poor gigabit ethernet speeds with PC can't figure out cause

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I have a A88x motherboard and I can only get about 22MB/s copying files to it. This happens with a few different XP installs as well as the same machine running unraid.

I figured it was the cheap realtek NIC, I put in a Intel 1000 PT dual port pci-e card and I get the same speeds.

I figured it was the cable. I plug the exact same cable into my PC and get 90MB/s copying the same files.

I replaced the cable anyway, still 22MB/s.
I plugged it into a different wall jack and moved the entire PC thinking maybe there was some weird interference, still 22MB/s.

I changed all the power options in the BIOS, still 22MB/s.

I just ran TCP Optimizer out of desperation and I'm actually getting worse performance, 17MB/s.

I'm pretty out of ideas...can a motherboard cause slow network transfers? I changed cards, OSes, cables. About all I have left is rolling back to a previous bios but I doubt that's going to work.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
if i recall, XP has always had bad file transfer rates.

Also to rule out I/O speed on the drives, have you tried connecting a USB3.0 drive to it and checking out how fast the transfer rate is locally?
Or transfer rate from drive to drive locally.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Do you have AMD's "Fast Stream" driver enabled?

It shows up in your network driver stack as "AppEx Network Accelerator". They should have called it "Decelerator". Disable / uninstall or otherwise remove it. It sucks, and slows down gigabit ethernet connectors to slow speeds, like you're seeing.

It's bundled with AMD drivers.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/for...l-will-squash-your-internet-speed-877593.html

I had exactly the same problem. After troubleshooting my network connection for an entire day, it turned out that AppEx Networks Accelerator was slowing down my connection from 190 Mbps to 4 Mbps!! After disabling AppEx Networks "Accelerator" the speed was amazing.

Last edited:

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
So I think in the end this was just me being dumb. aigomorla more or less nailed the cause I believe. The old crappy hard drives I was using to test this were older and crappier than I had thought. They were holding back the network connection. I'd actually thought the disk performance could be the culprit and had tried a spare SATA card but for some reason I brain farted and didn't think to blame the disks themselves. Running crystaldiskmark on them revealed they could be a big problem. Basically, gigabit ethernet is faster than I thought and hard disk performance in general is slower than I thought...particularly old crappy hard drives that I only use for testing these days.

I installed a 256GB SSD to remove that as a bottleneck and then used that fastcopy program sdifox suggested. I was getting 70MB/s and 98MB/s send and receiving. Which is good.

One sort of interesting thing is that the intel gigabit NIC I had to test actually performs worse than the onboard realtek.