Poor college students, need help.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

<< We hear about college kids getting rich off the internet all the time, so there the opportunity must be out there. >>

I hate to burst your bubble, but unless you know someone who is making money of the Internet, everything you're hearing is just rumors.

Face reality. You're working to support your car.

ChinamanatNCSU

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2001
I am a poor college student too, and I have no car, no credit card, no cell phone. But then again, I don't have a job. My parents are currently gambling on me doing something with my life, so I think I'm lucky in that I don't ahve to pay for room, board, or tuition b/c they cover it. Other than that, I don't have any expenses. I have enough clothes, there's $1.50 theaters close to my dorm, and all the minor spending money I want I either take out of my savings from summer jobs, or I do a little business on the forums. I really don't see a need for a (lesse, 19 = sophomore?) to have to worry about a car, insurance, cell phone, and cc's...just focus on getting out of college with a nice degree and you'll have people working for you.

Well, at least that's what my parents and counselors keep telling me...

BTW- Anand is a college student. Goes to the same college as me in fact (NCSU). So there's a prime example of college kids making $$ off the internet. He drove a porsche his senior year at our hs. Wish I got to know him....But then again he did get into the biz 3+ years ago, so I say you're outta luck now

Jan 31, 2002
To answer some questions...

* Cannot ditch the car. It is a 98 Saturn SC2... $276 a month for 5 years. Parents co-signed, they will not let me ditch the car.

* Cannot be an RA. I live with parents.

* Parents do not give me money, but they do pay for college (as you see above, I do not have a monthly payment for college or anything)

* Paying the $50 a month credit card... I maxed out my first-and-only credit card ($1000, 14.9%) last summer buying car audio stuff for the saturn

Antoneo

Diamond Member
May 25, 2001

<< I maxed out my first-and-only credit card ($1000, 14.9%) last summer buying car audio stuff for the saturn >>

There you have it, the car is the problem. Stop putting money into the car. Give up on the website idea, it's time is over. Drop the cell too.

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
I'm a college freshman, drive an ol' 81' Z28 camaro (not too shabby), going to a community college to save $$ even if it takes me an extra semester or two to graduate. I work about 26 hours a week making $6.48 so stop complaining and I work at walmart so there:p

I have no phone because it isn't necesary.

~Amdskip

AnimeKnight

Golden Member
Jan 8, 2000
you can try those car ads thingy.. basically advertiser putting ads on your car and pay you for it.. go search on google they have several companies that does that.

Jan 31, 2002
I have stopped putting money into the car, once I realized I made a stupid mistake maxing out my credit card for stupid subwoofers and amps. It will be paid off down the road, but I was just trying to gather some ideas on how college students make money on the side.

Oct 16, 1999
Get a student loan, pay off the credit card, and sell the audio equipment then. Do you like the idea working more just to offset bad money management as opposed to just managing your money better?

snowdogg187

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2000
yip, you shouldn't have that high a bill for yer car.

get a cheaper car with liability if you need one.

it will save you tons of cash.

I did the same thing all through college, made a lil more cash but not much. Had my car paid off and my own apt cause I was managing the complex, it was easy as hell.

Jan 31, 2002
There we go... the first useable idea in the thread. Putting ads on my car! That I can handle. About how much money would I get for such a thing?

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
OK, just cut back. I spend maybe $15 per week above and beyond my committments. I say just ditch the credit card. $50/month is a LOT on a credit card for a student. This is why, at 19, I neither have nor want a credit card.

ZV

Jan 31, 2002
Naive? No. I think there is a lot of opportunity out there and I am very enthusiastic about making extra money. I will never be complacent with the amount of money I make... I am very confident and intelligent (I do have a scholarship for my school and grants from the state for my 29 ACT score)....

I am just trying to make some extra cash here. And I hope you're not a guy... because I'm a guy and you said I was cute, lol.

pamchenko

Golden Member
Nov 28, 1999
i think you're naive because you're asking people for an idea on how to make money...if original ideas on how to make money were so easy to come by, would people really share them with a stranger?

I meant cute in a demeaning way btw...smart people read for tone.

badluck

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2001

Hahah...dood, you are funny....pulling that poor college student routine but pays $275 for a car, $110 for insurance and $30 for cell phone.....lamer.

udonoogen

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2001
1) stop eating out and start to eat frozen food.

2) see if you can get a workstudy job. some work study jobs pay more than 10 an hour ... and you can study while you work at some jobs too (like security).

3) ebay your car

Sir Fredrick

Oct 14, 1999
So let's see, you want to have a nice car (and with those payments, that had better be a nice car!), a cel phone, be able to go shopping, buy people gifts, splurge on yourself, and only work 25 hours a week? Time to wake up buddy.

I'm all for having a decent car if you can afford it, but no need to go as far as you have, just get something that you know will be reliable (hell, you don't even need a car to get to work!). Give up the cel phone, you don't need it.

I get the sense that you were a spoiled kid growing up.

Let me tell you what I do. I work 40 hours/week as a programmer, and I'm a full time student (evening and online classes), I buy my books, my food, pay my tuition, and pay for my rent. I don't have tons of money either, but I'm fully supporting myself. If you think you need lots of money to enjoy life, then you're never going to enjoy life. Money can serve to make your life easier in some ways, but it won't bring you happiness.

rayma2

Nov 12, 2001
Ditch the car and get a bike.. you will save about 300 a month and you will get in shape to catch the ladies. That is a win win situation. :D

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
i recommend that you read The Richest Man in Babylon by George Clason and Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Damn it and I was gonna bitch because I only have 1500 a month to live on. All I have to pay for is food, cigs, rent and bills.

QTPie

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2001

<< my typical paycheck is $185 >>

You income is $185x4 = $740/mo)

<< I pay a $276 car payment monthy, $110 insurance >>

That's $386/month plus at least $50 gas, so the total is $436/month
So you spend 60% of your income on your car.

<< How am I supposed to eat, pay gas, buy presents, and go shopping for myself every once in a while with $20 a week. >>

This is a very good solution:

<< Sell your car. Its eating up half of your income. Take the bus man! >>

I didn't have car payment when I was in college. Money for insurance and gas was a big deal for me already.
Swallow your ego and pride! Get a car that you can pay off.
At last, there are subsidized student loan (and non-subsidized, too)
Many friends of mine used bus, bike, motocycle when they were in school. And they did save money (didn't have to pay for gas, insurance and maintenance) to buy a decent car when they graduated.
Also keep in mind, you'll loose about $50K (salary) for each year that you delay your graduation

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Hmmm I too am a college student(not full time though) making $9.36 an hour 40 hours a week and I bought a house, own two cars(paid for), and have several thousand in the bank. What are you doing? :)

My parents haven't paid for any of it.