Poor audio in back corners

Raizinman

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2007
meettomy.site
I purchased a TV package from Nebraska Furniture Mart last year that consisted of a 60 inch Sony 3D, Blue Ray, and surround sound. The surround sound is where I have a question.

The surround sound consists of 4 speakers on columns (two near the TV and two in the back corners of the room) and one subwoofer. I rarely turn on the surround sound only because there is not much different in sound. I notice that when I do turn it on, most all the sound comes from the front speakers and virtually nothing comes out the far corners of the room. Even when I put my ear up to the rear speakers, there is virtually nothing coming out.

What I would like to do is switch cables on the back of the surround sound receiver front to rear. Any problem with that?

queequeg99

Oct 17, 2001
If you're just trying to trouble shoot a possible mechanical problem, switching out cables would work (although I seriously doubt you have a cable problem). You could also switch the speakers to see if the surround speakers are defective (again, I would be surprised if both are defective).

A few things to keep in mind. Surround sound is utilized differently from movie to movie. Try playing a movie that is noted for generous use of surround sound. The lobby scene from The Matrix is good, as are most of the battle scenes in Master and Commander (but there are tons of good scenes if you google). If you don't get much (or any) sound from the surround speakers after you have verified that they work, you need to check to be certain your system is correctly configured. For example, when I installed my setup, I had to tell my receiver what speakers I had connected.