pool questions (billiards)

jonnyjack

Platinum Member
Oct 13, 1999
how is the olhausen brand? i'm about to go check out a pool table place that only sells that brand so i guess they must be better than what you would get at sears or something. i know brunswick is good already.

also, i know for 8-ball the 1 is in front, 8 center, then a stripe in the corner and one solid in the other corner (no one argue with that, i know for fact that is right, hehe) but for 9-ball is there any other rules besides the 1 in front and 9 in the middle?

last question: reading the rules at Billiard Congress of America, it says
When the 8-ball is the legal object ball, a scratch or foul is not loss of game if the 8-ball is not pocketed or jumped from the table. Incoming player has cue ball in hand.
has anyone heard that before? i have never heard that but of course i don't doubt it now. i've always played you lose when you scratch when trying to pocket the 8-ball whether you make the 8-ball or not.

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Dunno bout tables, but cue's I knwo about :)
Anyways, as for that rule..:eek:...I always played loss on scratch if 8 ball was up. Either way, I mean who the hell is gonna miss sinkin the 8 with ball in hand? Not me, i know that! :D However, that IS an interesting rule.

jonnyjack

Platinum Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Shockwave
Dunno bout tables, but cue's I knwo about :)
Anyways, as for that rule..:eek:...I always played loss on scratch if 8 ball was up. Either way, I mean who the hell is gonna miss sinkin the 8 with ball in hand? Not me, i know that! :D However, that IS an interesting rule.
no, i don't think it means when the person with the 8ball left get's ball in hand, unless both players have made all the balls in their group (in that case, you're screwed)

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
also, i know for 8-ball the 1 is in front, 8 center, then a stripe in the corner and one solid in the other corner (no one argue with that, i know for fact that is right, hehe)

Actually if you read the rules that you linked to you'll see that is wrong. The only rack requirement in 8 ball is that the 8 ball is in the middle

jonnyjack

Platinum Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: DaveSohmer
also, i know for 8-ball the 1 is in front, 8 center, then a stripe in the corner and one solid in the other corner (no one argue with that, i know for fact that is right, hehe)

Actually if you read the rules that you linked to you'll see that is wrong. The only rack requirement in 8 ball is that the 8 ball is in the middle
taken from this page:
4.3 RACKING THE BALLS
The balls are racked in a triangle at the foot of the table with the 8-ball in the center of the triangle, the first ball of the rack on the foot spot, a stripe ball in one corner of the rack and a solid ball in the other corner.

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
racking 9 ball goes like this:

1 ball in the front, 9 in the middle, and the rest are completely random

I think olhausen are pretty good, since I saw lots of ad for them at tournaments

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: jonnyjack

last question: reading the rules at Billiard Congress of America, it says
When the 8-ball is the legal object ball, a scratch or foul is not loss of game if the 8-ball is not pocketed or jumped from the table. Incoming player has cue ball in hand.
has anyone heard that before? i have never heard that but of course i don't doubt it now. i've always played you lose when you scratch when trying to pocket the 8-ball whether you make the 8-ball or not.
That actually sounds about right. Most people (ourselves including) use the rule that a scratch (pocketing the cue ball) on the 8-ball shot is loss of game.

However, there are other types of fouls that would only result in ball in hand. I.e. not striking the 8-ball or not getting a ball to the cushion.

Seems like 95% of peeps play with slop anyway. :disgust:

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
Originally posted by: jonnyjack
Originally posted by: DaveSohmer

taken from this page:
4.3 RACKING THE BALLS
The balls are racked in a triangle at the foot of the table with the 8-ball in the center of the triangle, the first ball of the rack on the foot spot, a stripe ball in one corner of the rack and a solid ball in the other corner.

I was wrong. I stand corrected.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
To answer the original question, Olhausens are very good tables, one of the best. They supply a good deal of the major tourneys out there, the other most notable brand being Brunswick. You wouldn't be doing wrong if you got an Olhausen table......different design tastes, between teh companies is the first noticeable thing.

As for the racking question, one ball up front, 8 in the middle, opposites in the back corners is right.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
oh yeah, and 9 ball, nothing other than the one up front and 9 in the middle. If you scratch on the 8-ball, it's not automatic loss, no such thing really. It's just pretty much the same thing unless your opponent really sucks. :)