POLL: Would you support a Headscarf (worn by Muslim women) ban in the US

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
This is a Nanny State. No Religion, No Symbols of any kind allowed.

You know the Law, Freedom "FROM" Religion.

It'll never happen here, if we ban one, we have to ban all the symbols and icons. I'm suprised that France can even get it on the table.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Pepsei

It'll never happen here, if we ban one, we have to ban all the symbols and icons. I'm suprised that France can even get it on the table.

AFAIK, France bans all religious symbols... Jews not allowed to wear their head caps, and no 'highly visible' crucifix showing

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Pepsei

Where have you been? The Athiests have files suits all over the place. Just filed one recently here to have all crosses removed from Federal property such as in the National Cemeteries.

They also just filed one here in Georgia to have all Roadside Memorial Crosses removed and Law making them illegal.

Of course there is the whole Ten Commandments battle taking place as well also brought by your friendly firmly in control of the U.S. Courts Athiests.

They also said after these Victories they will sue to have GOD removed from U.S. Currency and a remodeling of the U.S. Supreme Court building to remove the Statue of Moses holding the Ten Commandment Tablets.

There is no end to what they will do.

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Where have you been? The Athiests have files suits all over the place. Just filed one recently here to have all crosses removed from Federal property such as in the National Cemeteries.

They also just filed one here in Georgia to have all Roadside Memorial Crosses removed and Law making them illegal.

Of course there is the whole Ten Commandments battle taking place as well also brought by your friendly firmly in control of the U.S. Courts Athiests.

They also said after these Victories they will sue to have GOD removed from U.S. Currency and a remodeling of the U.S. Supreme Court building to remove the Statue of Moses holding the Ten Commandment Tablets.

There is no end to what they will do.

A partisan view, would you not say? ;) Some of the suits appear misguided and will not stand up in a court of law. Such as demanding the removal of religious whatever from public forums.

Could take the other tack and say "look at those Christians trying to erect new religious paraphenalia is court houses but not allowing buring crucifixes".

Are we "fimrly under the control" of the Christians now?

Just because some people with an agenda want to make a point with everything does not mean they are right to do so - or that their stance is legal.

Having said that, it doesn't mean that in some cases there are legitimate constitutional concerns, which is what this debate should really be about.

Cheers,

Andy

EDIT: Let's not get into this too much here, as the thread will go OT and we'll have another "10 commandments" debate.

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Although I think headscarfs are the oppitomy of self-imprisonment , I don't really care if they are worn in public. However, they should be removed for driver's license pictures and during other times of identification.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: daniel1113
Although I think headscarfs are the oppitomy of self-imprisonment , I don't really care if they are worn in public. However, they should be removed for driver's license pictures and during other times of identification.

Well that's just your ignorance- but don't take that personal. It's part of their culture and held dear to them. They can just as easily point to us and say we're fools for choking ourselves with tight ties around our necks, or point at our women in disgust at how they will mutilate their own foot to fit into a fancy high heel shoe

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by: lozina

Well that's just your ignorance- but don't take that personal. It's part of their culture and held dear to them. They can just as easily point to us and say we're fools for choking ourselves with tight ties around our necks, or point at our women in disgust at how they will mutilate their own foot to fit into a fancy high heel shoe

Ignorance, huh? Well, since you are so smart, why don't you tell me how these headscarfs became a part of their religion/culture? I'll give you a hint: it wasn't to keep dust out of their eyes. Ties and high heels are not religion symbols. I don't care that they wear headscarves. It is just foolish that they continue to wear them for religious reasons when they are nothing more than tools of self-imprisonment. But hey, more power to them. I just don't want to hear them complain when they are asked to remove it for a driver's license picture.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
I was divided abut this issue until i heard a excellent debate about it this morning on talk rado.

I now agree with this movement to ban the wearing of any religious artifact in school, employment... Not to long ago the Muslims wanted to add muslim holidays into the school sytems. Chirac said NO. The Muslims also demands that anybody in their country comform to their laws. US service women have to dress in the garb of tradition while stationed in the Saudi if they go off base. I do not see a problem with France wanting to crush any foothold of any religion wanting power within thier government.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003

Ignorance, huh? Well, since you are so smart, why don't you tell me how these headscarfs became a part of their religion/culture? I'll give you a hint: it wasn't to keep dust out of their eyes. Ties and high heels are not religion symbols. I don't care that they wear headscarves. It is just foolish that they continue to wear them for religious reasons when they are nothing more than tools of self-imprisonment. But hey, more power to them. I just don't want to hear them complain when they are asked to remove it for a driver's license picture.

Muslims do not have to take off their scarf for a driver's license photo. A scarf is just to cover your hair, you are thinking about the veil that some people wear to cover their whole face.

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
I strongly disagree with making Muslim women take off their headscarves. But, this is a cultural artifact, not a Muslim artifact. Many Muslim cultures do not require women to wear headsarves. The level of ignorance about basic Muslim culture is a little depressing. I can just seen them at the DMV saying, "OK, sister, shuck the wimple for your photo." There seems to be a basic misunderstanding on this thread between a personal and public expression of religion, on the one hand, and the display of religious icons in governmental settings. The first, which this thread attempts to discuss, is permitted. The second, thank God, is not.

D

Deleted member 4644

No I believe in freedom of religion, so I would not support a ban on religious symbols.

However, I also strongly oppose faithbased government programs and religious activities at school.

Edit: I cant believe anyone actually SUPPORTS a ban on personal religious symbols. That goes against EVERYTHING this nation stands for-- PERSONAL FREEDOM. Once you make a law against one religion, who is to say your's is not next.

That said, I do support FBI investigations of some Mosques which promote the destruction of the government.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
It makes me think twice about a religion that makes you wear certain kinds of clothing. Personally, I just don't get it. It seems like the last thing God would care about was what you were wearing on your head (or elsewhere for that matter). Seems like forced conformity to me.

D

Deleted member 4644

Originally posted by: DealMonkey
It makes me think twice about a religion that makes you wear certain kinds of clothing. Personally, I just don't get it. It seems like the last thing God would care about was what you were wearing on your head (or elsewhere for that matter). Seems like forced conformity to me.

Yes, but are you comfortable with making a law that says people who believe in this religion cant wear the clothes they want to?

That is the question here.

Edit: and you are wrong that the "last thing" God would care about is what you wear on your head. I suggest you read up a little bit on the major religions of the world.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001

Or a religion that makes you go to some decorative building in your town every Sunday to sit and stand repeatedly and sing along to a choir. :D

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: LordSegan

Yes, but are you comfortable with making a law that says people who believe in this religion cant wear the clothes they want to?

That is the question here.

Edit: and you are wrong that the "last thing" God would care about is what you wear on your head. I suggest you read up a little bit on the major religions of the world.

No, I don't think laws should be passed prohibiting what people wear. That should be their choice.

Do I have to add an "IMO" to the end of my post? Frankly, I don't care what the organized religions say - I think it's silly. But please, if you have a direct line to God and he/she told you otherwise, please elaborate. :)

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001

Or a religion that makes you go to some decorative building in your town every Sunday to sit and stand repeatedly and sing along to a choir. :D

Right. It just goes to show how insecure mankind is about his place in the universe. As if God needs to see some little dog & pony show once a week. Man invents all sorts of ways to wear his religion on his sleeve and really prove how much he loves God. It all seems so superficial to me.

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
LordSegan, at least one of us is confused. You said "Edit: and you are wrong that the "last thing" God would care about is what you wear on your head. I suggest you read up a little bit on the major religions of the world."

What do what the major religions of the world have to do with what God cares about? For example, you mean, one of these two religions (1) wear headcovering outside, and (2) no need to wear headcovering outside, is wrong? Please, let us know what God thinks. I could give you many other examples of where specific religions give contrary instructions or omit instructions that another religion thinks are indispensible. IMO, it's a huge mistake to confuse what the major religions preach and what God might care about if the being deigns to care about humans at all.

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003

Wow DealMonkey... we actually agree on something. Perhaps I am sick.

D

Deleted member 4644

Originally posted by: Whitling
LordSegan, at least one of us is confused. You said "Edit: and you are wrong that the "last thing" God would care about is what you wear on your head. I suggest you read up a little bit on the major religions of the world."

What do what the major religions of the world have to do with what God cares about? For example, you mean, one of these two religions (1) wear headcovering outside, and (2) no need to wear headcovering outside, is wrong? Please, let us know what God thinks. I could give you many other examples of where specific religions give contrary instructions or omit instructions that another religion thinks are indispensible. IMO, it's a huge mistake to confuse what the major religions preach and what God might care about if the being deigns to care about humans at all.

Well, I felt dealmonkey implied that religions dont care about what is on you head, not God specifically. Personally, Im not really religious, and I dont believe God cares at ALL what we have on our head. And I agree with deal monkey about the conformity issue. However, I was just pointing out that Muslims, Christians, and Jews all have various beliefs about what should and shouldnt be on ones head.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
What 9 idiots said yes?

Lets start banning Jesus-pieces next, along with Yamulkes.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
it doesn't make any sense in the US. I mean, secularism is one of the founding principles of France, so its understandable if they do it. By contrast, the US isn't a very secular nation so banning headscarves would seem like you're just going after the muslims cause you hate them...

Teclis2323

Dec 27, 2002
This is the stupidest question that I've seen in a long time. WHAT LOGIC would allow some dumbasses to disallow religious followers the ability to wear religious garb? All in the name of "freeing them from their imprisonment"....wow - what ignorance. In America, people choose to wear headpieces. I myself wear a kipah all of the time. Maybe you should free me from my oppressive Jewish law. THANK YOU, my GOYIM HERO!

But then you come to realize - Hey, WHY do they wear them? Is it self-imprisonment? Or could it POSSIBLY be that headscarves (as well as kipahs, etc) show constant devotion to Hashem? Nah, couldn't be that!