Poll: Would you accept more.......

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
Would you accept more government involvement in your life if it meant more security against terrorism?

Yes?

No?

kikokam

Aug 9, 2001
i wouldn't want someone to follow me everywhere and know about everything i do.......

mdennison

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2001
No, our government is too bloated, like a big corporation. One hand does not know what the other is doing and that sucks!

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Jeez...you're all being too extreme. He said *more* involvement, not complete involvement.

I'm sure there are plenty of hippies around where I live that wouldn't stand for this anyway

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
This is a poll that is on the CNN site. Our community is less diverse than CNN viewers. This is much to do with our intellectual pool of members. You can go to CNN.com and vote their too. It may surprize you.;)

mithrandir2001

Diamond Member
May 1, 2001
CNN is blocked here at work...I gather people are overwhelming in favor of government control? Fools.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - B Franklin

SpongeBob

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2001
Nope, I would actually like less govt. involvement, and would be willing to sacrafice safety.

Aelus

Golden Member
Oct 1, 2000
Look up some information about the DDR, they did exactly that, everyone thought everyone was a spy, and everyone had their file in a huge archieve, where all their mysterious actions were written down. The people there didn't really enjoy that life.

A wise man learns for another man's mistakes.

Aelus

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
mithrandir2001

that quote of Ben Franklins is a little over done in defense of this poll. The poll does not even remotely suggest or imply giving up "essental liberties".

But if that is how you feel, go a head and vote accordingly. I am just stating my opinion. I will never give up my "essental liberties", not even at gun point.

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
No thanks, I'll take Freedom and chance of Death over having the goverment walk me to the bathroom "THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES... BUT THE'LL NEVER TAKE, OUR FREEDOM!!"

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
Safer overall would be yes, but obviously the majority will vote no. Nobody wants people snooping around in their personal lives.

-RSI

shaddow

May 6, 2001
If CNN took that poll before the attacks and the results would be 71% no and 29% yes and if they wait awhile for feelings about this to cool down a little the results would shift to 50-50

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Link to MSN story on the "official" Princeton Survey Poll

This is scary, people are ready to give up freedom for the mere illusion of security. From the Story;

<<Congress was quick to blame sophisticated encryption methods for the massive intelligence failure last week and is proposing that government officials should have backdoor access to encryption products to aid national security.>>

Great, so we have a scapegoat now and Congress can pretend that they are doing something important.

Zenmervolt

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000

<< Link to MSN story on the "official" Princeton Survey Poll

This is scary, people are ready to give up freedom for the mere illusion of security. From the Story;

<<Congress was quick to blame sophisticated encryption methods for the massive intelligence failure last week and is proposing that government officials should have backdoor access to encryption products to aid national security.>>

Great, so we have a scapegoat now and Congress can pretend that they are doing something important.

Zenmervolt
>>

I didn't know people were so afraid to die :( that they would give up something that THOUSANDS and more have GIVEN their live up for.

Pikachu

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Gawd! I heard the same BS in reference to having cameras placed in high crime areas. Hell, there are cameras in parking lots and stores, but does anybody care? Feel you've lost too much freedom while shopping now? :confused:

And using cameras to catch people running lights and speeding. Doesn't bother me a bit, though it is sacrificing freedom. There is a trade off and we already "suffer" loss of some freedom for safety. Does that FACT escape so many of you?

Anyway, I'll just say the same thing I said in the topic that spawned this one. Make the damn cards, etc. OPTIONAL! OPTIONAL, damn it! Then the folks with the cards can skate through borders, check points and transactions quickly, while the paranoid among us suffer through grueling lines and long waits for background checks and searches. Fair enough? DAMN RIGHT IT IS!