Poll: Who'd Win? Astronaut VS. Caveman

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: AvesPKS
Originally posted by: So
Astronaut: extensive survival training, big brain, probably could fashion a spiked pit of some sort.

Why do you guys thing we wiped neanderthals off the face of the earth? We weren't as strong, but we could outwit them

Big brains win 90% of the time and as the length of time extends, the advantage is greater (i.e. if the astronaut could get safely away for a few months he could build a forge and MAKE weapons.

Wait...so your contention that the astronaut win dependent on the astronaut being able to MAKE A FORGE? What? :beer::wine::beer::confused:

no...that was just an example...I was saying that the more time he had, he could do more and more things, including making tools.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
In my experience, Cavemen aren't as prone to exploding in fireballs.

I'm going straight to hell.

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I still think Caveman would win. While neanderthals had smaller brains, it was more specialzed to the hunt. Eye hand coordination and reaction time being its biggest advatange. The brain dind't have to waste valuable space for higher cognative functions. Remeber No Weapons are allowed in this match so a one on one slugfest the caveman would kickass. Lower primates like chimps are known to be MUCH stronger per pound than man. Who's to say the caveman wouldn't also posses the same strength.

holy crap I've realized I've thought entirely too much about this..... beats any Tyson fight :p

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Joeyman
I still think Caveman would win. While neanderthals had smaller brains, it was more specialzed to the hunt. Eye hand coordination and reaction time being its biggest advatange. The brain dind't have to waste valuable space for higher cognative functions. Remeber No Weapons are allowed in this match so a one on one slugfest the caveman would kickass. Lower primates like chimps are known to be MUCH stronger per pound than man. Who's to say the caveman wouldn't also posses the same strength.

holy crap I've realized I've thought entirely too much about this..... beats any Tyson fight :p

What is your source for these facts about neanderthal brains? I didn't know ATOTers had mapped the brains of an extinct species whose history was, until ATOT came along, lost to the mists of time.

As for the no weapons thing...I assume (otherwise the subject is idiotic) that the astronaut cannot bring any weapons into the ring. It said nothing about fashioning them there.

<notes that the astronaut could fashion a crude crystal radio with the wire in his suit and call in close air support :evil:>

LongCoolMother

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2001
astronaut with his suit? its not a weapon. if so, then probably astronaut. that thing will protect him against any potential blows from the caveman. not to mention regulated conditions in there. w00t.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: LongCoolMother
astronaut with his suit? its not a weapon. if so, then probably astronaut. that thing will protect him against any potential blows from the caveman. not to mention regulated conditions in there. w00t.

He couldn't really move that fast to hit the caveman though.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
I meant flight suit...not space suit

(like the things they where when inside the ship).

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Given their choice of weapons, the caveman picks up an M16 by the barrel and cunningly brandishes his weapon, ready to club the astronaut to death. The astronaut shoots the caveman. The end.

fumbduck

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2001
Dude, I worked at NASA. Those astronauts are scrawny, old, and nerdy. There are VERY few exceptions.

A caveman would tear an astronaut apart and then eat him. Then kill mammoths with his bones. Then kill more astronauts with the mammoth bones.

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: So
Originally posted by: Joeyman

What is your source for these facts about neanderthal brains? I didn't know ATOTers had mapped the brains of an extinct species whose history was, until ATOT came along, lost to the mists of time.

As for the no weapons thing...I assume (otherwise the subject is idiotic) that the astronaut cannot bring any weapons into the ring. It said nothing about fashioning them there.

<notes that the astronaut could fashion a crude crystal radio with the wire in his suit and call in close air support :evil:>

Cavemen ROCK!! :p

Actually you don't have to map a brain with an MRI to postualte what might happen in a brain after frequent use of a certain skill. As for knowing about the neanderthal I'm sure ATOT isn't the first to wonder about them. Try looking up neanderthal in an encyclopedia and you'll find lots of information. I actually remeber talking about them in quite a few sciences and biology classes in mid-high school.... wow I guess my schools were the only one to teach evolution.....unless you come from a creationist school ;)

Ok lets look at the facts neathderthals diets were nintey percent meat (this I remeber look it up) so this meant the hunted A LOT. Far more than an astronuat would have to. So could you say they were speacialized hunters? I think so.

while I still think the OP implies no weapons at all in the fight and it's hand to hand combat. Who says cavemen dind't have weapons of their own. Spears anyone? And not the Britney type. And they would 0wn the astronuats in using them because they shockingly used these spears in everyday life far more often than an astronaut does in space.

and lastly a Bear can kick a Cougars ass anytime of the day :Q

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Cap'n Kirk showed he could beat a stronger, faster lizard-man starting with no weapons. Cannon > club.

If an arena fight with a bare arena or with just rocks and clubs, it would depend on whether the astronaut had serious martial arts training -- Jet Li or Chuck Norris could easily beat down a caveman while avoiding his club swipes.

AkumaX

Lifer
Apr 20, 2000
1st it was even.. then caveman started leading.. now astronaut is leading by a larger margin.. its more complicated than you think :p