Poll: Who won the debate?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RacerX

Oct 22, 1999
I taped it on Fox Network, and every commentator afterwards said Bush was victorious. And of course I had plenty to drink! ...but even that's not enough to make Gore even come across as remotely presidential. The guy dodged too many questions and blabbered about the 1% way too much. Anyone who knows stats knows that is a joke figure. Of course the highest 1% get a large percentage of the cut ...that's cause they pay more taxes than the bottom 40% combined.
Gore's constant sighs and interruptions and always wanting the last word was a joke ...I wouldn't be surprised to see SNL do a skit on that this weekend.

Toonces311

Jun 19, 2000
I too was very displeased with Gore's sighs, huffings and smirks off camera. It really depended on which channel you watched it on. If you watched the debates on a Ted Turner network, you probably missed it.

Most of you will not be changed by the debates. They are for the undecided voter.

RaDragon

Diamond Member
May 23, 2000
I'm watching a rerun of the debate (sorry, I got stuck watching Buffy and Dark Angel earlier). :) In any case, I found this dude's insights very - well, insightful:

Disclaimer: I am a cigar-chomping, beluga-caviar-eating, penthouse-living, Wall Street banker-ing capitalist autocrat, and I am still voting GOP in November.

1) Bush lost and lost big. Period. End of story. No yammering about slant and bias now, because the man simply hadn't prepared or--more troubling--isn't intelligent enough to do anything having had the time to prepare. If I had no political proclivities before this debate and had to judge who was the best man for the job solely on the debate itself, then Gore would win hands down.

2) Did I mention this whole thing has pissed me off? The GOP had every opportunity to choose a maverick, a proven leader, a distinguished veteran, and certainly someone who could have crushed Gore---John McCain. Instead, they played it safe and went for the Anointed One. And tonight the Anointed One let down his party, let down his responsibility, and let down his country. I loathe Gore, I hate his politics, I think the man spineless and a cipher--but that said, at least he had prepared to state in clear terms why he was best suited to the job. Bush looked--well, quite frankly, he looked scary, embittered, stupid, and pathetic. Did I mention I'm pissed?

3) What was he doing in the last few weeks, playing Foos-ball?

4) Alright--big deep breath. When you vote for a president, you vote for policies, for a (god help us) brain trust, for the understanding that this man will, in turn, bring other men to Washington who promote initiative, capital incentives for business, integrity, and a decent shot at prosperity for everyone--not to mention bolster the military in such a way that America can defend herself and her interests abroad. The American presidency is not a debating club, and the glibbest man does not necessarily deserve to win. And in truth, Al Gore didn't win because of brilliance or depth--indeed, my cat could have torn him apart with a little coaching. Hell, on a cocaine, caviar and rum binge, I could have torn him apart. So--the man, his lack of depth, his spinelessness, and his political mutability are still there, and just as dangerous as always.

5) So, that said, I'm going to the polls in November and I'm voting for...well, I'm voting against Gore.

6)When it boils right down to it, the American people deserve better.

Toonces311

Jun 19, 2000
Red Dawn.

Go to ABCnews.com, NBCnews.com, CBSnews.com and vote for who you think won. I have voted on two of the three. It seems CBSnews.com has stopped their voting. Bush wins two out of three.

Fox news network is a refreshing change from the others.

Toonces311

Jun 19, 2000
Red Dawn,

Thank you for lending me your glasses. I can't see very well, but they work for you so I'll keep trying. I hope they start working soon. I have to drive to work.

Good night.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Toonces:

Don't put much faith in the online polls. They are used mostly by Libertarians and Republicans. And dominated by males who love Bush for some un-Godly reason. If Bush isn't ahead 2-1 in one of those he's out of the running. Fox Network? True comedy 99% of the time. I wouldn't trust ANYTHING they said.

SJ

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Gores plan is take from the rich and give to the poor, errr I mean take from the "rich" and give to the middle class. Pfft. Rich is not people that make 100k a year. Sure 43% of Bush's tax cut goes to 1% of the tax payers. But hell its THEIR money to begin with not somebody elses. Why take money from taxing a rich person and give that money to someone that is middle class, soley because they are "middle" class? Gore is an idiot. His tax plan is stupid. I don't want big government, thats what Gore wants, Id rather have a better military. 7 years ago the US had a damn good military and space program, both were nuetered in the Clinton and Gore era. 2% intrest on SS, man I get nearly 4 times that in a 100% safe way. I don't care if Gores plan extends the currently almost worthless SS program 50 years. SS for younger americans is going to be worthless in its current state when they turn the age they can collect from it. Personally IMHO if people didn't plan for retirement, they never should of retired. There are jobs out there that the elderly can do, and most do have benifits, so they would only have to pay $10 for ALL their meds, thats two birds with one stone. And Mr Censor(you all know who I mean) can go to hell...

jaydee

Diamond Member
May 6, 2000
By Red Dawns logic, every site who's poll shows that Bush won, is obviously biased. Will you guys finally ignore that fool, who's apperently not for Gore but hates Bush with a passion. Of course, Red Dawn could NEVER be biased. Gore never answered the 7 years they had in office, Bush never answered a fuzzy math or two, whenever Bush talked tax cuts for all, Gore screamed 'middle class', like some premeditated instinct. Of, course, there more to it but I have school in a few minutes. Neither were at there best, but if you claim that Gore won, soley on the basis that Bush paused 2 or 3 times to make sure of himself, then you are the bigger moron then either of them.

Anybody

Dec 16, 1999
I'd have to throw my hat into the ring for Mr. Chicken, clear intelligent thoughts and want for resolution of problems not just empty promises to "get the job"... Red's right both candidates aren't really worth the American people and when it comes down to it in Nov I'm going to be voting for the guy I can't stand least... I just wish the Libertainian party would get some SANE candidates

Signed,

Disillusioned Independent.

MrChicken for Prez '00

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
I see Bush has finally inched ahead by one vote in our little poll. I think many people are confusing who they are going to vote for with who won.

Gore easily won this debate. Bush may do better in the next debate because it is a more casual setting.

I'd say this debate was worth about 1/2% point for Gore. Not much, but it may be significant because the race is so close. The next debate should be a draw, or small jump for Bush. That means the final debate in St. Louis may decide the outcome of this contest.

Anyway, vote for who won the debate, NOT your choice for President.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
SJ:

It may not have been clear, but I meant to imply a tie as well. Though "both lost" isn't a choice. :p

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I didn't get to watch the entire debate due to work, so I will not vote in the poll but the trend in this discussion and in general is disturbing on these boards.

Most of you people seem to want an actor as a president, someone who is good in front of a camera and can provide a quick answer in a game show style setting or someone who is able to verbalize his points well, no matter how foolish the point may be.

How much thought has gone into the particular issues with each candidate? Who the president is matters little, the policies that he, along with the House and Senate enact are what matters. With few exceptions, it seems that those supporting both candidates are supporting the personality and persona of the man, not what he is proposing to bring to the table. Either Gore os too wooden or Bush is too stupid. I have avoided posting in these political threads lately, they seem to be almost entirely focused on how photogenic the person is.

Most of the people bash the political process and what it breeds and refuse to acknowledge that they base their views on that exact same process. I have seen the "handlers" issue brought up several times, why don't you vote for someone then that does not use them. Looking like a fool on camera is very easy to do, Bill Gates looks like a putz on camera and with the exception of giving prepared speeches constantly stumbles over himself when speaking, though I would wager that he is significantly more intelligent then either of the front runners.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Ben:

We elected an actor for President. This is America, the media capital of the world. How you look and sound count for a lot. You may not like it, but a lot of decisions are made based upon looks and sounds! Did you fail to get that job because your goals were too vague? Did your girl friend dump you because your nose is too big or you talked about computers all the time? Did you buy the new Madonna album because she's an intellectual giant? And Gates goes to great lengths to appear more, er, appealing, when he speaks to the public. He is not charismatic, but he can be geekishly charming when he is well prepared.

Admittedly, in an ideal world, policies and the ability to implement those policies are the prime considerations. But a candidate must sell his policies and his ability to implement them. That's the dog and pony show. It is not unimportant. Please excuse us for being so mundane as to think Bush's ability to form cogent sentences in public is meaningful, or Gore's wooden personality suggests he is detached from the real world. These are important issues to many people.

I haven't a clue what you mean by the "handlers issue". They all have handlers, or advisors. Let's hope Bush has a lot of good ones if he gets elected.

Frankly, I have a lot of respect for your technical expertise, but I think you have missed the important human elements in this little drama.

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
"Frankly, I have a lot of respect for your technical expertise, but I think you have missed the important human elements in this little drama."

The "human elements" are the core of the problems with politics. That is the entire point. Is the ability to form a complete sentence important in being the President? Not in any way shape or from, only in becoming the President.

BTW- The actor quip came as a result of acting traits becoming primary on this board, I know how "smart" JohnQPublic is, I expect a bit more from the members of this board. If the person was previously an actor isn't an issue in being a President, only becoming one.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Ben:

The ability to form complete and cogent sentences is the hallmark of a leader. Winston Churchill gave the English hope and encouragement with his stirring speeches. So did both Roosevelts. Of course, Hitler did the same thing! :p

When the President is dealing with members of Congress, foreign leaders, and even the American public, he is expected to have a very strong command of language. Skill in the verbal arts is probably the primary skill necessary to be a good leader. Even engineers should be good communicators, though they frequently fail miserably at the task. :p

I realize you think we need more substance and less oozing charm, but the trick is to parse out the substance from the charm. Even Gore and Bush gave us a little substance last night. (As I noted above, I thought they were both better than I expected. Maybe one of them will actually turn out to be a decent president.)

You know, when my wife asks if I like her dress, it's a very complicated question. I had better not say it is dreadful, even if I think so. In many ways, these debates have that indirect quality. It's human nature.

By the way, the two candidates have almost exactly opposite debating styles. I am not a Bush supporter, but I relate strongly to his Sophist form of debate. In other words, Bush will throw everything at you, facts, emotion, physical images. Gore is the logician and pure debater. This is one reason I am so puzzled why geeks prefer Bush by about 2-1. You frequently hear people complain about someone not fighting fair in a debate here. Well, screw that, I'm a Sophist. Bang on the table, bang on their heads, kick 'em in the nuts, but get your point across. So you engineers and teckies should love Gore. Facts and logic, facts and logic, facts and logic. Ho-hum. Bush will give you a good FIGHT. Gore will give you a good debate. This was a debate not a fight, so Gore easily won.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
And something else. If I had been Gore, I would have been drilling Bush with his misstatements. This is a big issue. Do you want a President in a hurried moment to say something unintentionally aggressive to a potential enemy? I think Gore missed the opportunity to make Bush looking like a lightweight. That will matter to a lot of people.

I also think Bush should have hammered Gore on the character issue because that is where Gore is weakest. Ditt for smaller government and education, where I thought Bush made the strongest arguments.

You won't defeat your enemy attacking his strong points. Exploit weaknesses. These should not be treated as formal debates. The stakes are too high. We need a good cat fight and ain't getting it yet.

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Chess-

"When the President is dealing with members of Congress, foreign leaders, and even the American public, he is expected to have a very strong command of language. Skill in the verbal arts is probably the primary skill necessary to be a good leader."

A command of verbal skills is what is required in the political arena only, not in the business sector nor in the military where ability to execute are of far greater importance. Is it a plus? Certainly, but you could argue the same for a good haircut and a decent tailor. A leader who is mute is no less capable of doing the job, and that is what should matter. Convincing the masses that they are capable of such is the problem. Foreign leaders- how many of them speak fluent English? For the majority of dealings with foreign leaders there is a translator present, who are well known and are in fact required to paraphrase as I'm sure you know that translation between languages isn't an exacting science at all times.

"You know, when my wife asks if I like her dress, it's a very complicated question. I had better not say it is dreadful, even if I think so. In many ways, these debates have that indirect quality. It's human nature."

I would say it is dreadful, it's honesty. There is a level of tact that can be used, but it is better to be honest then to have my wife deal with the "public" view of the dress. I grew up with two sisters who would come to me for my views because they knew I would tell it like it is, human nature is an excuse and a generalization based on personality traits that exist in most people. I'm not saying I don't have my fair share of personality flaws or traits commonly charcterized as human nature, but dishonesty for the sake of a person's feelings isn't one of them. Open and honest communications should be more important then tact when looking for a leader.

"Bang on the table, bang on their heads, kick 'em in the nuts, but get your point across. So you engineers and teckies should love Gore. Facts and logic, facts and logic, facts and logic. Ho-hum. Bush will give you a good FIGHT. Gore will give you a good debate. This was a debate not a fight, so Gore easily won."

What facts exactly? I did see part of the debate, and read more of the transcripts, both of them were utilizing projected numbers, not facts. If you want to debate utilizing projections then you can almost always find "facts" from studies to back your claims. Neither of them can state in any way certainty for the numbers they were using, though Gore had clearly looked at a lot more numbers then Bush, what does that prove? It doesn't make anything either of them said any more accurate. The makeup of what Social Security will look like in '30? Please, you are projecting for a very large group of people who have yet to be born, and also plan on average life expectancy to remain fairly consistent. Are the numbers more then likely ballpark? I think so based on what I have seen, but you can't honeslty expect a thinking person to take numbers as facts based on birth rates for the next ~twelve years coupled with the aging of an entire generation over the same period of time. Were there any true facts debated? Honest question, I have yet to see anything that was.

Red-

"So the next time you call me a moron because you don?t like what I said about your particular candidate, keep in mind that I have already assumed the same thing about you. Also keep in mind that I actually realize that I probably am as off base about the real topic as I feel you are too. And never fool yourself that you are actually taking part in a serious political discussion here because for the most part we aren?t even trying too."

Do you have some sort of paranoia? You addressed your post in part towards me when I said nothing about you in particular. I know on what level you are talking in these posts, I've been around long enough(most of the Junior Members have for that matter). The younger crowd here seems to take these superficial issues much more seriously. Did I say anything about you being a moron? It is amusing that most people fall for your trolling when a good thread is going(and you know you are;)), but I said nothing directly towards you. We do have several people here who will be eligible to vote in their first election this year, don't you think it would make for some interesting discussion to have an intelligible thread on the relevant issues?

Perhaps you wouldn't find that interesting? I laugh most of the time when I read a political thread that you have entered, it tends to make for an interesting read, and I also know that you are far too intelligent to believe half the sh!t you are saying, why not enter in to a real discussion on the issues? I would be interested to read through that as we all have read through your numerous and humerous "trolling" posts.

abracadabra1

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 1999
bush got creamed

gore kicked bush's ass...

i commend bush's efforts though

<< phony numbers >>

hah!

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Ben:

I can see the 5,000 meters I just ran in the rain was much easier to handle than your arguments will be!

First of all, you really aren't asking for facts as used in common political parlance. You are asking for the equivalent of scientific proof. If you insist upon the objective reality denotation of &quot;facts&quot; then, of course you are right. But we are talking about policy, which means how you would shape the facts to afffect the future. Policies are by nature speculative. Facts in politics don't have the same meaning as, say, &quot;this resistor is 50 ohms&quot;. I think that's what makes politics so interesting. The result is always uncertain, and particularly with these two candidates! :p

Furthermore, given your views, voting would be impossible. No &quot;fact&quot; would be of sufficient weight to justify a conclusion. I consider voting more like going on a blind date. I was always prepared to be disappointed, but also always held out hope.

Great military leaders usually have great communication skills. Eisenhower is just one of many examples. In today's military, great communications skills are a big plus. I have served in the military and have one son in the Navy. I'm not unfamiliar with the requirements for a strong commander.

Ditto for business leaders. They must be great communicators. You think the President of Ford Motor Company didn't have to muster substantial verbal talent to appear before Congress and defend his company's handling of the Firestone tire problem? Say the wrong thing for public television and kiss 10,000 SUV sales goodbye! I would say business people must have verbal skills almost as good as a politician's.

Just my two farthing's worth.

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
BUSH won, EOM.

What was with the off camera sighing by the man-tanned loser? He couldnt have been more rude with his jumping in, interrupting, getting in the last word, overusing his time and so on. I know rudeness doesnt count with the Dems but he overdid it.

&quot;Lets not get into personal attacks, lets get to the issues.&quot;

Good one there. With no ammo to fire on Bush with, wouldnt you say the same thing?

Gore used all the &quot;consumate salemans&quot; tricks in his bag and still lost.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
theBestMax:

This board is very conservative. Why don't all your fellow conservatives agree? Bush should be killing Gore in this poll if you are right. You don't like Gore and couldn't put that aside to be an objective voter. I think we need to ask the mods to remove your vote for bias. :p :p j/k

I'd say the vote here is a tribute to the intellectual honesty of a large number of guys who can't stand Gore but realize that Bush is a pale third to McCain who would have won handily, and Gore.

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Chess

&quot;First of all, you really aren't asking for facts as used in common political parlance. You are asking for the equivalent of scientific proof. If you insist upon the objective reality denotation of &quot;facts&quot; then, of course you are right. But we are talking about policy, which means how you would shape the facts to afffect the future. Policies are by nature speculative.&quot;

This is part of the core problem of politics in general, the acceptance of facts based on figures which are always too narrow in scope. I'll take two seperate issues that do have direct relation to each other but are not seen as such with the exception of the most simplistic elements, Social Security and taxes.

Taxes being reduced solely for the rich in real world terms tends to benefit the poor and middle class overall as much if not more then the economic elite. Sounds foolish but let me explain.

The rich already have a very high standard of living, does Bill G live that much better then say Steve Jobs? Hardly, they can both easily afford pretty much anything they want, and providing the basic requirements for life are something that they need give very little thought to in regards to their own family. A 50% tax cut for them isn't going to change much at all for them in real world terms, certainly in may aid them in increasing their own net worth, but that benefits the lower income brackets by and large the most.

The reasons are many, but all of them are core principals of capitalism. How do people get rich? Many different ways, but with the exception of the lottery(and even then not entirely) they don't do it by themselves. They need other people to help them out. What do these people get out of it? Jobs, and the richer you want to be, the more you tend to be willing to pay to get the right people. By upping the amount of salary for the people you desire you increase the demand for labor which in turn raises the level of pay across the board. A single billionaire has a comparitively miniscule effect on the economy, but combined their importance, and the impact they have on &quot;laymen&quot; is enormous.

So after these people are already rich, what do they do? A great deal of them spend a large amount of time, or hire others to, find tax shelters to protect their money. When this same group of people are &quot;given&quot; a tax break they look for ways to make money, and the best way to make money after you already have it in our society is to invest. Start up companies need funding and hire people, again increasing labor demands and giving people jobs. With the explosion in technology companies in particular, many people are seeing their incomes increase greatly because of investments coming from wealthy looking to expand their net worth.

I know of several people pulling in six figure salaries working for technology based companies who simply have no business being in the industry, but because of the immense job market pressures and massive investments in start up companies the market has become far too slim for employers to be too picky. This, in turn, again raises more people up the economic ladder. This condition can be expanded by giving the wealthy, who are overall the smartest with their money, a tax break. This effects the midlle and lower classes more in real world terms then it does the wealthy who mainly are looking at &quot;paper&quot; gains. Of course across the board tax cuts are much easier to apply for real world benefits, problem with politics is that people are listening to sound bytes far too often.

Social Security was a poor long term plan at its' inception and it hasn't changed in the least bit. The entire idea behind the workings of Social Security is flawed in that it is supposed to be a trust fund, with no fund. I'm sure that everyone reading this understands the principles behind how it currently works, and if you think about it for more then a minute or two then it is easy to see why this needs to be fixed with a viable long term solution.

Privitizing a small portion of SS now, and increasing that portion over a period of time is not only a smart thing to do, it may be the only way to provide any sort of certainty to this program for future generations. Simply depositing the money in a bank from each tax payer in a private account would be a big improvement over what we have now(run through the numbers for yourself and compare to the return on a CD). Of course we need to do something on those that have made plans based on it being there, the longer we wait the more serious the problem becomes.

This shouldn't be a partisan issue, it is very simplistic and both Gore and Bush have supported it at some time, it is what should have been done in the first place(with short term being overcome by general funding). If it was, then we wouldn't be talking about this and it could be pointed to as one of the feds success stories instead of the constant political fight it is now.

The two issues relate in many different ways. Economic expansion via increased investment combined with the continual evolution of 401K type plans which in itself is further economic investment can both fuel a reduced reliance on SS an in turn generate more tax revenue for the government.

Every bit of what I said can be conutered with other arguments, I know that. The point is that most numbers look solely at one issue at a time. For instance reducing taxes isn't seen as a way of effecting future needs for SS, though it could be. Reducing the percentage of GDP that the government consumes can aid several different problems we are having now, but you can't hope to get that across to the general public.

Whose numbers are more accurate when discussing the issues? If we plan on Gore implementing everything he wants then perhaps his numbers will be correct. If Bush were to implement everything that he has planned then perhaps his numbers would be correct, taking things issue by issue and trying to determine numbers based solely on that particular issue will not be accurate unless by luck, and that is unfortunately how too much of what politicians use is based. When is the last time we have seen numbers match up with CBO projections? It doesn't happen.

&quot;Furthermore, given your views, voting would be impossible. No &quot;fact&quot; would be of sufficient weight to justify a conclusion. I consider voting more like going on a blind date. I was always prepared to be disappointed, but also always held out hope.&quot;

I don't see either candidate as that far apart. I see one taking some very small steps in the right direction and the other very small steps in the wrong one. I would rather be headed in the right direction.

&quot;Great military leaders usually have great communication skills. Eisenhower is just one of many examples. In today's military, great communications skills are a big plus. I have served in the military and have one son in the Navy. I'm not unfamiliar with the requirements for a strong commander.&quot;

Patton was feared more then Ike, and he was notorious for his horrible &quot;communication&quot;(and lunacy, but that is another matter;)). Great communication is a plus, but it is not needed to be a great leader in a particular area.

&quot;You think the President of Ford Motor Company didn't have to muster substantial verbal talent to appear before Congress and defend his company's handling of the Firestone tire problem?&quot;

I would say reading would also be thought of as a requirement for leadership. Are you aware that the CEO of FoMoCo has a severe disability and can barely read at all? Common perception versus true needs.

Sorry to ramble on, this post went way longer then I expected and probably reached into the babbling range sometime ago, the summary is that I don't trust any of the numbers, just the general direction that the particular policy will place us in. Hard numbers like actual rates are one thing, their impact based on piece mail portions of various policies when creating projections are fairly worthless.