Poll: Who makes the best laptops?

Chriz

Oct 9, 1999
You can't really build your own laptop, so one day I want to buy one, but who should my laptop be from? I know HP, Compaq, Sony, Toshiba, Fujitsu, Dell, Gateway all make them but who's are the best for both games, features, and reliability?

Wizkid

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
I like dell because at least they give you a good video controller (8 MB ATI -- that's about as good as you can get for laptops). Dell's prices are good too, but you may have to wait a while to get it.

We use toshiba laptops at work and they are pretty good, so they are a good option too.

dszd0g

Golden Member
Jun 14, 2000
If you want to game on a laptop, be really careful about the video you get. Most laptops I've seen do not support Direct3D. I know a fair number of folks who have gone the Linux route in order to play Loki games with Laptops since they can't play a large number of Windows games anyways.

Banned
Oct 9, 1999
I had the laptop bug about a year ago. I checked all the big names, Dell, Sony, Gateway, Compaq, etc. The best bang for the buck in my opinion was COMPAQ. Sony would be my choice if cost wasn't an issue. Again, Compaq is hard to beat. Wouldn't consider anything less than a
14.1" TFT screen.:D

ColdTech

Sep 22, 2000
I Would go micron or dell.... Possibly asus... & I can honestly say I was happy with my p3 700 mobile for simple games... & I Would aslo sudgest not going toshiba unless you wanna cary a mouse with you (that eraser thing sucks)

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I´ll probably know tomorrow, I´ll be gettng a HP omnibook at work
PIII700
128mbram
18gb
6xdvd
ATi 8mb mobility
15" TFT
:)

Then with my last job we had few Dell laptops, I realy liked them.

4824guy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
IBM and Toshiba are supposed to be pretty good. My Compaq Armanda has only given me 1 problem in the last few years, so I guess that is acceptable also.

Pariah

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2000
Sony Vaio's have the best screens, but Dell's are probably best overall.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I have hardly ever used a laptop, but we need one at work now. We're looking at IBM Thinkpads and Dells Insprions. We are a small group and need a computer to take on trips, interface to instruments(load programs and troubleshoot) etc. I want at least a 14" screen.

What,if any, are the differences in displays. TFT and Ultra XGA

Do you prefer the little joysticks on the thinkpads or the mousepad on the Dells?

I think all we need is a CDRom, floppy, modem and NIC. Are there big differences in options/expanability among brands and lines?

TIA

Chriz

Oct 9, 1999
Yeah what's the difference between Super XGA+ and Ultra XGA? They were both being advertised as superior and i'm not sure which one is actually better.

Aboroth

Feb 16, 2000
Dell makes an awesome Inspirion 5000e. It has ATI's Rage Mobility 128 with 16MB, which just kicks ass.
After I bought it I was surprised to find out that the video is actually REMOVEABLE. Supposedly some 5000 owners are buying the new Mobility 128 video and putting it in their laptop to replace the ATI Mobility P that was in it. (Don't quote me on that, I don't know anybody who has, I just read on the Dell message boards that it is possible.)

I know the Ultra XGA goes up to 1600x1200 while the SuperXGA+ goes up to 1400x1050 or something weird like that. Both of them look great with DVD. ATI has an option in the drivers to resize the video to fit the screen if you don't feel like running it at max res.

Kanly

Oct 23, 1999
I like IBM's and Dells.

If i had to carry one everyday, maybe a VAIO ultralight (those things are tiny!)

When you pick a network card, by all means get the dongleless kind (Xircom, and one other makes 'em i think).

Those dongles always break, even if you are careful.