POLL: Who Actually Watches Fox News and Takes it seriously?!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
The only news I watch is the CBC (1130 on Newsworld International) and the BBC news (6 on BBC America) and do so rarely. All the other things are bad jokes. Most of my news comes from The Globe and Mail and The Economist.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: busmaster11
Originally posted by: FrodoB
How many actually consider CNN a reliable news source. CNN should be called the liberal propaganda network. It's worthless. Last year an upper level exec at CNN even admitted that CNN covered up many of Saddam's atrocities all throughout the '90s.
Fox News is MUCH more reliable than CNN.

Yeah, and Hannity and Combs really reflect two fair partisans debating issues objectively and Combs isn't really the b!tch...
rolleye.gif

CNN is much more objective than the FOX tabloid, if you remember, all the news networks covered the Clinton/Monica scandal to death.

It is the inverse of CNN crossfire with James Carville. Except Hannity does give equal time to Colmes, the same cannot be said for Carville.

Dman877

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2004
There are good conservative news sources like the Wall Street Journal and The Economist. They are serious journalists. Fox news and the borderline lunitics like Rush and Savage are a joke.

pphysicsguy

Sep 14, 2003
Fox is just, well, fox. Do they actually report news on their channel, or is it all just right-wing spin?

Faux News, indeed.

Of course, I watch it because Bill O'Reilly is fairly amusing.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Dman877
There are good conservative news sources like the Wall Street Journal and The Economist. They are serious journalists. Fox news and the borderline lunitics like Rush and Savage are a joke.

Sorry, but I hardly think the Economist is right wing.

dualsmp

Golden Member
Aug 16, 2003
I've deleted Fox news off my TV using the built in channel add/remove feature. I don't miss it at all, and haven't seen Oreilly's mug in months. :D

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Actually the informational pages of the WSJ are quite good it's the Op-Ed page that makes me wince from time to time. Fortune, Financial Times, The Economist all provide good information and just like the WSJ they are pretty upfront when they editorialize but these outlets clearly focus on information NOT entertainment or agendas.

FOX . . . IMO, has gained market because it entertains while feeding the American ego for good news. Outside of providing the weather forecast and time of day, FOX is invariably providing editorial in all of the news while trying to entertain it's audience with semblances of witty banter and inuendo . . . and some of its commentators . . . let's be honest . . . are pretty easy on the eyes.

The NewsHour is as dull as President Bush's last original thought but at the end of 60 minutes you are guaranteed to know something . . . in detail. Actually you will likely know three or four. After an hour of FOX, CNN, or MSNBC you likely don't know anything beyond what comes on next.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
I mostly watch Headline News because of a lack of time...and if you wanna talk easy on the eyes, check out these anchors and reporters ;)

Otherwise, I'll rotate between CNN and MSNBC...I don't get Fox News around here.

When I talk to people IRL about news, I always recommend Fox News to liberals and CNN to conservatives...When you watch a news source that you never disagree with, then you're never really forced to think.

And thinking is cool.
Originally posted by: dualsmp
I've deleted Fox news off my TV using the built in channel add/remove feature. I don't miss it at all, and haven't seen Oreilly's mug in months. :D
Well thank God you never have to hear about bad news or points of view you don't agree with....that would hecka suck :(

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: charrison
Originally posted by: busmaster11
Originally posted by: FrodoB
How many actually consider CNN a reliable news source. CNN should be called the liberal propaganda network. It's worthless. Last year an upper level exec at CNN even admitted that CNN covered up many of Saddam's atrocities all throughout the '90s.
Fox News is MUCH more reliable than CNN.

Yeah, and Hannity and Combs really reflect two fair partisans debating issues objectively and Combs isn't really the b!tch...
rolleye.gif

CNN is much more objective than the FOX tabloid, if you remember, all the news networks covered the Clinton/Monica scandal to death.

It is the inverse of CNN crossfire with James Carville. Except Hannity does give equal time to Colmes, the same cannot be said for Carville.

Your saying Novak and Tucker Carlson don't get equal time???

NetGuySC

Golden Member
Nov 19, 1999
One more for Fox news

So Fox leans to the right ... well so do I

If someone is telling you the news then their bias shows thru.

I really enjoyed when Steve interviewed Howard Dean on fox and Friends.

Thanks for reminding me. i was watching lord of the Ring and forgot that Fox and Friends is on :)

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: NetGuySC
One more for Fox news

So Fox leans to the right ... well so do I

If someone is telling you the news then their bias shows thru.

I really enjoyed when Steve interviewed Howard Dean on fox and Friends.

Thanks for reminding me. i was watching lord of the Ring and forgot that Fox and Friends is on :)
How anybody could even watch that show regularly let alone take it seriously is beyond me. At least the other Fox News Programs have substance to them!

Pers

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
Fox And Friends inspired the making of this poll. After watching that... i am in utter disgust. rupert murdoch die.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Two days ago a FOX reporter characterized the advance team from the UN going to Iraq as . . . "the UN is crawling back into Iraq."

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
Two days ago a FOX reporter characterized the advance team from the UN going to Iraq as . . . "the UN is crawling back into Iraq."
Maybe they consider themselves experts when it comes to motoring on ones belly

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Pers
ok...

so i already know the channel is worthless as a news source, but as i'm watching it the topic of "bennifer" comes up! WTF?! didn't this happen like 5 years ago? How important do they think the majority of their viewers (a bunch of hicks) find this sh!t? And calling every democratic candidate an insane idiot doesn't add much to their credibility either. Everything Bush does is excellent, and when a democrat makes the slightest fault, they magnify it like no other. So i'm wondering who the hell watches that sh!t and considers it to be based on fact?

You are truly stupid if you think the only people that watch Fox news are "a bunch of hicks".
Of course, to you, everyone who disagrees with you is a hick.
People who watch Fox are the people who are sick and tired of the liberal bias of ALL the other network news stations. The only difference between Fox and CNN is that Fox has a larger number of opinion pieces and the hosts are less subtle in their political leanings.

The bias at stations like CNN is far more frightening because it is subtle and deceptive. I'd rather have the agenda be out in the open where everyone can see it.

If you think conservatives and republicans are all just a bunch of hicks, then you truly are living in a fantasy world. But once again, if they disagree with you, they are by definition a bunch of hicks. Even if they are well-educated professionals.

Pers

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Shanti
ok...

so i already know the channel is worthless as a news source, but as i'm watching it the topic of "bennifer" comes up! WTF?! didn't this happen like 5 years ago? How important do they think the majority of their viewers (a bunch of hicks) find this sh!t? And calling every democratic candidate an insane idiot doesn't add much to their credibility either. Everything Bush does is excellent, and when a democrat makes the slightest fault, they magnify it like no other. So i'm wondering who the hell watches that sh!t and considers it to be based on fact?

You are truly stupid if you think the only people that watch Fox news are "a bunch of hicks".
People who watch Fox are the people who are sick and tired of the liberal bias of ALL the other network news stations. The only difference between Fox and CNN is that Fox has a larger number of opinion pieces and the hosts are less subtle in their political leanings.

The bias at stations like CNN is far more frightening because it is subtle and deceptive. I'd rather have the agenda be out in the open where everyone can see it.

If you think conservatives and republicans are all just a bunch of hicks, then you truly are living in a fantasy world. But once again, if they disagree with you, they are by definition a bunch of hicks. Even if they are well-educated professionals.

how's the mullet growing?

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
ok...

I really wanted to keep it, but somehow I don't think it fits on a software engineer in a fortune 500 company.
And they don't allow cutoffs and sleeveless shirts.
I wanted an old pickup with a gun rack but had to settle for a new minivan.
And my trailer was getting a little cramped so I had to switch to a brand new house in a middle-class subdivision.
But don't worry, I'll always be a hick in your mind.

beyoku

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2003
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
btw...i think they should change the name of the channel. They should no longer call it FOX NEWS rather FOX OPINION channel. It's so ridiculous... They had a segment on the disappointment regarding locating WMDs in iraq, and almost every single caller supported the war and its motives despite the failure of finding anything threatening. heh.... wtf!?

A lot of those people would have supported the invasion and occupation whether there was WMDs or not. It's those who were not rabid Bush supporters yet were convinced by Bush that Iraq had massive quantities who are questioning his motives.

i think a lot of people would support the US attacking anybody - people really dont pay attention or care.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Maybe the other networks are just as duplicitous but I've watched about 3 hours of FOXNews today (snow day and avoiding working a grant). The commentators seem woefully uninformed about the details but still have an opinion on everything. The media in particular FOX but to some extent the others painted Dean as a flaming unelectable liberal. Now that Kerry is on top, he's a flaming liberal. This white-haired tool on FOX has said "classic Northeastern liberal" at least three times while never saying what that means. One comment from this tool, "Kerry wouldn't appeal to anyone outside of Barbara Boxer's district in northern California." Of course, Senator Boxer doesn't have a district she has the state but hey that's just a minor detail.
rolleye.gif
He started an hour long show calling Kerry a liberal and ended his hour long show enlisting some Southern professor to assist him in calling Kerry a liberal.

Oooh Laurie Dhue . . . hmm those lips . . . what was I talking about?

So this FOX tool also interviewed Dean's older brother . . . who sounds EXACTLY like his brother. Anyway, the FOX tool spent most of the interview talking about Dean's scream from Iowa. I mean it was weird and funny but who cares anymore . . . other than FOX?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
ok...

Find that second video yet?

See, now wasn't that fun?:p

CkG