Poll- Which would you prefer in on the SCOTUS

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

I would favor ideology over integrity and honesty or I would side with ideology above all.

• I would rather have honest integrity and in someone less ideologically aligned

Votes: 31 91.2%
  • I would rather have someone who is closest to my ideology first, and integrity and honesty a second.

Votes: 3 8.8%

• Total voters

Younigue

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2017
I'm not sure how to address this other than to say that not all right-leaning people even believe in a god, and even of those who do, most recognize that there are strict Constitutional limits on such things.
Not all cultists have been "religious" before gettin' them some cult leader lovin'.

So yeah, Trump and Administration are trying to rape the Constitution or hadn't you noticed? Kavanaugh is just another violent poke at the unwilling.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Both sides want their ideologues on the bench. If Hillary had won, do you people actually think she wouldn't appoint left-leaning ideologues? Get real. We get the government we deserve. We're a polarized country, so we get a polarized SCOTUS. No one cares about the constitution anymore. Rah. Go team.

So, "they're just as bad!", huh? Based on nothing but conjecture & the ring of truthiness.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Not all cultists have been "religious" before gettin' them some cult leader lovin'.

So yeah, Trump and Administration are trying to rape the Constitution or hadn't you noticed? Kavanaugh is just another violent poke at the unwilling.
I understand that you believe this is so, and will take it under consideration.

Jul 9, 2009
Always honesty and integrity, especially the part where they swear to faithfully and impartially uphold the Constitution and laws of the United States.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
90% so far say
"I would rather have honest integrity and in someone less ideologically aligned"

Are you going to let the Republicans have a chance to vote too?

Younigue

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2017
All of it? I think it's hard to converse when we take what might be true for the fringe, and impute it to everyone on the other side of some arbitrary dividing line.
I'm not talking about ALL republicans/conservatives though I question if they even exist anymore as I remember them. I am specifically talking about anyone who supports Trump in any way about anything.

Did that help to shed some light on that elusive arbitrary dividing line you speak of? I don't pick them out, they are proudly showing themselves. Light's on full blast.

Jul 9, 2009
90% so far say
"I would rather have honest integrity and in someone less ideologically aligned"

Are you going to let the Republicans have a chance to vote too?
We let Kagan, Sotomayor, Breyer and Ginsburg continue to hand down decisions after their failing to uphold those standards, so i don't see why not.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Both sides want their ideologues on the bench. If Hillary had won, do you people actually think she wouldn't appoint left-leaning ideologues? Get real. We get the government we deserve. We're a polarized country, so we get a polarized SCOTUS. No one cares about the constitution anymore. Rah. Go team.

Of course they do, but it's also a question of degree. Merrick Garland was barely left of center and would likely not have been a party line voter on the Court.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
We are in a fix, a hell of a fix.

I've been aware of this amazing short sermon for many years and I used to regard it with amazement and a certain amount of amusement. But nowadays I have to wonder if it's not something to find funny at all but should be taken completely seriously:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnQ4Zxum_VE

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The OP offers a false choice that ignores extreme partisanship on the part of the GOP. There is only one justice on the SCOTUS who didn't have to pass the bar of filibuster, Neil Gorsuch. And soon there will be another, Kavanaugh. I'd much rather have Justices who are less ideologically aligned but the GOP has the chance to install ideologues, so they will. They showed that when they snubbed Garland, a very centrist pick designed to meet with their approval.

Guru

May 5, 2017
I say we blow the entire thing up and make an even number of judges appointed by each side of the isle. The President gets to nominate a 5th for the duration of his presidency. Stop turning this into a political winner take all battle. My 10 year old shouldn't be punished in her 40's by appointments made today.

I'm seeing advertisements on TV telling me to support the nomination of Gorsuch and Kavanaugh FFS. This is not normal.
Yeah, let's give the power to two political parties, even though combined these only represent about 40% of the people who are eligible to vote. What about 3rd parties like the Greens, Libertarians, Constitutionalists, etc...?

If you ask me no person should be able to get elected to government if at least 51% of the voting population doesn't turn out! Then there won't be any republicans or democrats in congress to make things worse!

Younigue

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2017
Yeah, let's give the power to two political parties, even though combined these only represent about 40% of the people who are eligible to vote. What about 3rd parties like the Greens, Libertarians, Constitutionalists, etc...?

If you ask me no person should be able to get elected to government if at least 51% of the voting population doesn't turn out! Then there won't be any republicans or democrats in congress to make things worse!
Wow you're special. Do you feel special?