POLL: whats your driving style?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
Originally posted by: TwinkleToes77
I chose speed on occassion. But I dont excessively speed. I'm the one going 5-10 miles over the limit. Not 20-30.

Edit: Forgot to add that i never speed in residential areas. Children/pets are too unpredictable.
same here

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
Heh, I like how everybody jumps on people who speed, yet 40% speed all the time, and 50% do that on occassion. Hypocracy at its best. And oh yeah, I speed most of the time, but I'm guessing you all knew that already.

Nevada

Aug 7, 2002
used to push 80+ all the time. now i do between 60 and 65 due to a nasty speeding ticket i got a year ago.

oniq

Banned
Feb 17, 2002
I speed about 5 mph over the limit.. maybe 10 on the highway. I certainly don't want to hit a kid on a street because I'm in a hurry. I'd rather be late than have to deal with killing some kid for the rest of my life.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I typically go the speed that will get me where I'm going with hitting the breaks the fewest number of times. That often means 5 mph below the speed limit and you'll avoid 90% of all stoplights. That gets me there faster than many people who go 10 mph faster than the speed limit as they stop at the light and must accelerate while I keep going right through the green and pass them by as they accelerate from a dead stop.

I'm not against going up to 4 mph over the limit. If I know a train is coming, I'll go 4 mph faster than the limit to avoid waiting. But I never go above that magical 4. Many cops won't bother to pull you over unless you are 5 mph over. In the city where I grew up there was a city policy that the city cops CANT pull you over unless you were 5 mph over (too much a waste of their time and the courts time when there was more important crime and safety issues to worry about). You still needed to watch out for state cops that rarely pass through, but for the most part you were safe going 4 mph over. Plus even if you are given a ticket, the fine for 4 mph over is minimal compared to 5 mph over.

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Argo
Heh, I like how everybody jumps on people who speed, yet 40% speed all the time, and 50% do that on occassion. Hypocracy at its best. And oh yeah, I speed most of the time, but I'm guessing you all knew that already.

Most of us don't jump on a poster just for speeding... But we WILL jump on someone whining they got caught.
rolleye.gif

I've gotten hit for doing 115mph before. Cop doing his job. Me fscking up. What's there to whine about? I paid the fine, accepted the points, and got on with life.

ajpa123

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2003
You should change your title, if you want.
Driving style should have poll options like .. spirited, drift around every corner, insane (like deathrace 2000), heavy footed (accelerate from every stop), light footed (pretend there's a glass of water on the center console that you Cannot spill at all costs)..etc

I have a car that can do over 150mph, but i have never taken it over 90. Speeding is not necessary, in my book. Sometimes, when you're speeding, you're anxious and not relaxed.(you're too worried about getting somewhere instead of enjoying the trip). I eliminated that from my life completely and prefer to cruise and crank the stereo. Even if I'm going to be late somewhere, i still don't speed.. it's not worth it.

But i love accelerating from every stop, drifting around corners (it rear-wheel drive) and taking full advantage of it's handling.

bunker

Lifer
Apr 23, 2001
Every one of you lying bastards need to go back and vote "I speed all the time"

I can't honestly believe you ever do the exact speed limit unless you're accellerating or stopping!!

And if you're not doing the exact speed limit (or under it) then you're speeding!! :p

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: bunker

I can't honestly believe you ever do the exact speed limit unless you're accellerating or stopping!!

And if you're not doing the exact speed limit (or under it) then you're speeding!! :p

some people dont speed. I got 13 points within six months of getting my license. I almost lost it as a matter of fact. I havent gotten a ticket since then. It doesnt take me any longer to get anywhere than when I did speed. I like watching the people that speed and change lanes every thirty seconds. They usually end up stuck behind the 80 year old guy driving the 88 Crown Vic, while the rest of us that stayed in our own lanes pass them by.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Originally posted by: DurocShark
Originally posted by: Argo

Most of us don't jump on a poster just for speeding... But we WILL jump on someone whining they got caught.
rolleye.gif

I've gotten hit for doing 115mph before. Cop doing his job. Me fscking up. What's there to whine about? I paid the fine, accepted the points, and got on with life.

Yep out of all the speeding tickets I have gotten over all my years of driving there was only 1 that I felt that the cop was flat out wrong. I went to court over it and the cop actually perjured himself by saying he was following me on a road I was not even on when he said he began following me. Lucky for me I was taking an assembly language class at a local community college at the time and had become friendly with a lawyer in the class. He told me to appeal which I did and he managed to plead it down to the lowest violation with the fine suspended.

Asharus

Oct 6, 2001
Originally posted by: GoodDad
Originally posted by: bunker

some people dont speed. I got 13 points within six months of getting my license. I almost lost it as a matter of fact. I havent gotten a ticket since then. It doesnt take me any longer to get anywhere than when I did speed. I like watching the people that speed and change lanes every thirty seconds. They usually end up stuck behind the 80 year old guy driving the 88 Crown Vic, while the rest of us that stayed in our own lanes pass them by.

Yeah, some dude was doing that the other day, so I decided to play w/ my blinkers to make fun of him while he was behind me. I stayed in my lane while he kept switching, and he would sometimes end up behind or in front of me. I swear it was hilarious. Then we got out of the 2 lane Parkway onto a 3 lane one, and I eventually passed him. What a tard.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
those of you who speed to a large degree..

what do you do when you get where you are going ?(other than sit on your as$ browsing the internet ? )

ohtwell

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I speed sometimes, but I don't go that much faster than the speed limit.

: ) Amanda

ianbergman

Oct 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Asharus
Originally posted by: GoodDad
Originally posted by: bunker Every one of you lying bastards need to go back and vote "I speed all the time" I can't honestly believe you ever do the exact speed limit unless you're accellerating or stopping!! And if you're not doing the exact speed limit (or under it) then you're speeding!! :p
Yeah, some dude was doing that the other day, so I decided to play w/ my blinkers to make fun of him while he was behind me. I stayed in my lane while he kept switching, and he would sometimes end up behind or in front of me. I swear it was hilarious. Then we got out of the 2 lane Parkway onto a 3 lane one, and I eventually passed him. What a tard.

I love that too; it's always fun to watch people try to beat through traffic, 'cause it never works. But when it's safe, I'll speed like the dickens - I've never driven a car that couldn't easily and safely handle 80-90+, assuming either traffic is moving that speed or i'm alone on the highway. I admit I think speed limits themselves are ridiculously low in most of this country, but I'll also admit I've never owned a VW Bus ;)

ianbergman

Oct 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Dead Parrot Sketch
those of you who speed to a large degree.. what do you do when you get where you are going ?(other than sit on your as$ browsing the internet ? )

Ever drive I-90 from Seattle to Chicago, or any other lonely stretch of highway? After the first couple trips admiring the scenery, every hour spent staring at a laptop in a hotel and not on the road is a good one.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ianbergman
Originally posted by: Dead Parrot Sketch
those of you who speed to a large degree.. what do you do when you get where you are going ?(other than sit on your as$ browsing the internet ? )

Ever drive I-90 from Seattle to Chicago, or any other lonely stretch of highway? After the first couple trips admiring the scenery, every hour spent staring at a laptop in a hotel and not on the road is a good one.

Plenty of times(former truck driver,btw), but I love driving and I rarely get tired of the endlessly changing road..but I wasn't explicit enough in my question, I was thinking about people who save 2 minutes by driving 90mph for a few miles in city traffic, not for 10 hours.