Poll: What sort of time commitment behavior do you have to gaming?

Tick all that apply

• 1. Random and casual with no real investment

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • 2. Regular short sessions

Votes: 18 51.4%
  • 3. Regular long sessions

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • 4. Regular long sessions with significant additional time spent thinking about games outside play

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • 5. Professional gamer who gets paid for it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6. Addicted to gaming but not severe enough to impact life

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • 7. Life negatively impacted by clinical gaming addiction

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • 8. Other

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I'm #2 & #3.

I didn't like doing #4 anymore so I backed off most (A)RPGs, especially Bethesda-style open world, and "spreadsheet simulators". I was spending far too much time theory-crafting and researching mechanics outside the game, on top of the already excessive in-game hours. I prefer gaming to be more self-contained and spontaneous "pick-up-and-play", with only basic research required at most.

#1 is pointless to me because I get no sense of achievement without some sort of overall progress or goal.

I don't have addiction as I can easily go many weeks without gaming if needed.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I work a white collar job in middle management which lends itself to sort of open ended, non discreet goals and requirements that can ultimately feel somewhat unfulfilling because you never really see or touch the fruit of your labor.

I love video games because they are discreet, with measurable goals and achievements, and the ability to put a game away and say "I am have beaten that".

With a wife and kids, I very rarely get the chance to just sit my ass down and crank out a multi-hour gaming session anymore. My gameplay sessions tend to be broken up into 1-2 hour chunks at best whenever I am between things on whatever random day. As such, I really like games that promote a short "game loop" with the ability to hop in, feel measurable progress towards completion, then hop out again.

Its also really turned me off to the 90-100 hour open world epics in favor of tighter more scripted 10-20 hour games.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Random and intermittent. But I do have this overarching feeling that I need to slowly get through that Steam backlog, a little bit at a time.

There was a time when it was much more frequent. In particular, doubt I'll ever again get into 'sandbox' open-world type games.

The odd thing is I feel like the mentality involved is the same whether I'm getting through games, finishing reading novels or doing hikes or cycle rides or visiting foreign places, or even gaining academic qualifications - it's all a form of consumption ('achievement unlocked - cycled to Brighton''). (Though the cycling and hiking was much better for one's health...but it's health problems that have meant those are less of an option these days.)

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I average about 1-3 hours a day in the evenings. I only play singleplayer games these days and do still play the 100 hour RPGs, but spread it out over a few months. I like having a clear end point to the game unlike multiplayer ones, so I can move on to the next one on my list. I've been spending most of my gaming time on VR these days.

Reactions: Captante

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Been gaming since I was old enough to hold an NES controller (parents both still play games as well). I have other hobbies and can go without gaming if I have to and my job regularly put me out of town for weeks to months on end where gaming was out of the question, but I'd rather not if I have the option. Gaming has, in the past, negatively impacted my life, but it doesn't anymore so I suppose I'm in the #4 slot. When I'm playing an ARPG like Grim Dawn and I have data on location, I'll be on the GrimCalc utility or the forums talking about new builds so I guess I also apply for #6 as well.

I suppose that was going to happen since there's nothing to do in my area other than hiking or shooting (which I also do). I suppose I could pick up heavy drinking or drugs and fit in with the rest of the demographics in my area, but I'll stick to ARPGs over getting hammered every single night.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
1, 2, 3 and 6 I suppose. Three young kids, 50-60 hour work weeks and I still managed to clock in 47 hours over the last two weeks.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Close to never anymore.

I might fire up Civ5 on rare occasions when bored, but I think my gaming days really are behind me at this point. I always seem to want to listen to music or watch a movie with my free time.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
#3, used to be #3 and #4 but now I just do long play periods being I work from home half the week.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
#1 is the norm for me these days. I haven't played CP2077 in over a week.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
1, 2, 3 and 6 I suppose. Three young kids, 50-60 hour work weeks and I still managed to clock in 47 hours over the last two weeks.

-Uh... How often has your family called the cops on a "Stranger that broke into the house to play videogames" :p

Reactions: BillClo1

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
-Uh... How often has your family called the cops on a "Stranger that broke into the house to play videogames" :p

Thanks to our tiny starter house that we can't seem to leave my desk is in the middle of everything so they know I'm here, they don't have a choice.

bejellio

Mar 29, 2021
#1. Right now I usually just play with my brother and a friend once a week. Definitely game socially at the moment. Really all I have time for with 5 kids =)

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i think this approaches the issue from the wrong point of view.

I spend a lot .. a BAD lot of time playing. Hours. Days.

This has nothing to do with games. I don't crave games, and in fact i wish i was doing something else.

The problem is that i don't have anything else, and games is just the most convenient way to keep me busy while i patiently wait for 1) to have enough money to open a business, or 2) to die. Games are surprisingly cheap, even those you need to pay for, even those that cost $60 and then have a subscription or battlepass. Going to the pub, or even walking around town, is far more expensive.
Man, i had a craving for donuts for some time, today i broke down and bought a 3-pack of Krispy Kreme. Aside from being pretty much awful, they cost me £6 for a pack of 3. WHAT.
..and that's it. You walk around town, eventually you'll stop for a coffee and cake, and that's just one day. Over a month it's much more money than if you spent it playing Call Of Duty.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I'm so addicted that mornings turn into night. Gaming is life bruh.

I wanna live in a video game. :mad:

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I did #2 and #4, but I wasn't sure how long 'short' and 'long' were. So I figured 'short' meant about an hour. And 'long' would be multiple hours.

On average a game for about an hour a day. But on some days, namely weekends, I will often get in a several hour session. And for the games I play regularly, I watch youtube videos on them, I read about them, research new ideas to use in them, etc.

But at the same time, I will sometimes not game at all for several days in a row to take a break. And it does depend on the time of year. If its winter, lot more gaming than if its summer.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
1, 2 and 3 to varying degrees.

USED to be #4 as well and may be again if somebody makes a game good enough to rate it... been quite awhile since Mass Effect 2 sadly.

(I had high hopes for Cyberpunk but obviously that's not happening)