Poll: Were we within days of a major attack from Iran? Justification for assassination of Suleimani

Was there an imminent threat to the US from Iran that justified the assassination of Gen. Suleimani?

• Total voters

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
SOD Mark Espr in a presser yesterday claimed we were with days of an attack from Iran. Knowing everything we know to date and Trump's history of truth telling, do you believe this claim? An imminent threat to the US and or its citizens is required unless Congress declares war.

ShookKnight

Dec 12, 2019
#1 Trump is a liar.

#2 Trump did not follow the proper procedure.

#3 There has been a slew of conflicting details from the White House on this entire matter.

Trump orchestrated this for a slew of reasons - everything from his impeachment woes to the recently released Epstein photos to his worries he won't be re-elected in the fall.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
While I respect that intelligence of this sort may need to be kept secret, Trump also bypassed Congress in his decision, no one that I'm aware from the IC has endorsed Trump's claim, others have reported conversations with said folks who suggested evidence was not significant of this, and the option to go after Soleimani was reported to be offered to make other approaches seem more appealing without expectation of Trump pursuing it. Compiling that with Trump's history of rampant dishonesty and undercutting the IC, I really can't find a reason to believe this claim absent presentation of evidence or accounts from those outside of Trump's direct command.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
The imminent threat Trump and his sycophants were referring to wasn't Soleimani. It was and still is Trump possibly getting his ass kicked or voted out of office and into the waiting open arms of NYSD and the charges they're going to slap him with.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Doesn't matter, there was plenty of prior justification to not only allow it, but to require it.
Really? Iranians could use the same justification from America's actions from 1953 to 1979. Iran had a duly elected government and the US fucked it over putting in place a puppet called the Shah.

Prior actions are NOT justification for a President to take this kind of action without approval from Congress.

Show me where I'm wrong.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Doesn't matter, there was plenty of prior justification to not only allow it, but to require it.

Yeh, it was perfectly fine to murder the personal emissary of the Ayatollah Khamenei while he was on a diplomatic mission in Iraq. And kill half a dozen high ranking Iraqi officials who were with him. Because imminent threats & shit. Because he was a bad guy. Fuck them people. If the Iraqis, our strategic partners, don't like it, fuck them too. Hail Trump! He alone can fix it! Strong Leader! He made Iran stand down!

And never forget- the server... they say Ukraine has it.

Jul 9, 2009
Really? Iranians could use the same justification from America's actions from 1953 to 1979. Iran had a duly elected government and the US fucked it over putting in place a puppet called the Shah.

Prior actions are NOT justification for a President to take this kind of action without approval from Congress.

Show me where I'm wrong.
You mean the deep state /CIA coup to overturn a legitimate government? Tell us more about this "deep state/CIA" illegal action. I've been hearing it's all just a conspiracy theory.

Jul 9, 2009
Yeh, it was perfectly fine to murder the personal emissary of the Ayatollah Khamenei while he was on a diplomatic mission in Iraq. And kill half a dozen high ranking Iraqi officials who were with him. Because imminent threats & shit. Because he was a bad guy. Fuck them people. If the Iraqis, our strategic partners, don't like it, fuck them too. Hail Trump! He alone can fix it! Strong Leader! He made Iran stand down!

And never forget- the server... they say Ukraine has it.
He was a terrorist responsible for murdering hundreds of United State soldiers. Not that it's a concern to some people, but it matters to me.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
He was a terrorist responsible for murdering hundreds of United State soldiers. Not that it's a concern to some people, but it matters to me.

Show me a single post from you displaying any concern for any American killed in the Middle East by a terrorist. Alternatively, show me any post with you discussing Suleimani before it was learned that he was assasinated.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

And the US invasion of Iraq he fought against was a crime against humanity, a war waged on false pretenses.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
You mean the deep state /CIA coup to overturn a legitimate government? Tell us more about this "deep state/CIA" illegal action. I've been hearing it's all just a conspiracy theory.
First of all there is no such thing as the deep state today. Second they were executing official US policy back then albeit covert.

Third you failed to answer my question. Typical Trump

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Past actions, genius.

If there was such an imminent threat Trump needed to goto Congress...cough...cough...Constitution...cough

If he needed to take action immediately he must justify to Congress in 48 hours...cough...cough...law...Constitution...cough.

Trump did neither. When he finally got around to briefing 6 days later it was all vague horseshit (bi-partisan assessment)

Now, tell us again how you respect the Constitution??

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
SOD Mark Espr in a presser yesterday claimed we were with days of an attack from Iran.

Obvious BS: If the US was "within days" of such an attack, how would killing the person who designed the plan help exactly? Would they have called the attack off because the guy had an upset tummy or a head cold? Would he have only bothered informing the participants of the attack of the details within this crucial "within days" time-frame? Honestly?!?

IMO the most likely outcome of such a pre-emptive strike would be to help justify the alleged planned attack. It's not a clever gambit to avert disaster, it's an invitation for it.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Two questions:

Why wasn't he taken out during the two previous administrations, when that option was on the table?

Does his actions justify killing nine other, unrelated (to the terrorism) individuals?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Two questions:

Why wasn't he taken out during the two previous administrations, when that option was on the table?

Does his actions justify killing nine other, unrelated (to the terrorism) individuals?
another question if this guy was such an immediate threat we could have taken him out covertly without taking public credit. Considering the possible reactions chest thumping was not the way to go.

Clearly Trump wants this for the 2020 election.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
another question if this guy was such an immediate threat we could have taken him out covertly without taking public credit. Considering the possible reactions chest thumping was not the way to go.

Clearly Trump wants this for the 2020 election.
Yep, for every high profile mission like this, there's two dozen or more quiet ones done with good old fashioned wetwork. This was on public display for a reason, that should always be in someone's mind when analyzing the action.