** POLL ** The UN or Iraqi Tribunal for Saddam?

miguel

Nov 2, 2001
The UN is guaranteed no execution. Iraqi Tribunal is leaning towards execution.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
The UN hasn't really been involved too much thus far, I see no need to slight the natives and start now. Last I checked, no one in the General Assembly lost any family members to mini-Stalin.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
I don't think it is a situation of the possibility of the death penalty vs the unlikelyhood (probably isnt a word, but it works) of execution. It has more to do with who he should answer to...his victims or a bunch of politicians who did/could not experience life under Saddam as the Iraqi people have. With the Iraqi tribunal, he is more likely to get a judgement more fitting of his crime (whether or not it includes execution) than the UN. That is why I voted for the tribunal.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Koffi and company have already declared the death penalty would not be an option, so a iraqi tribunal is the only way to go.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
IMO the Iraqis were the offended parties.

Neither the UN nor the US ought to interfere in this.

Notice that in Bush's speech the Iraqis "should be involved" in the upcoming trial. WTF does that mean?

Bush is going to set the rules, and Saddam is going to be tried by them. That is as wrong as the UN doing it.

Give Saddam to the Iraqis and leave them the fsck alone. :D

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
best would be to keep Saddam locked away untill a propper Iraqi government is established, then hand him over

Antebios

Apr 17, 2001
I think he should be given to the Iraqis, but executed slowly over weeks of torture for more information!!!

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
Yeah, let's give him to the UN.
They can slap him on the wrist, then set him up with a nice place on the French Riviera.

miguel

Nov 2, 2001
well, seven people voted for UN. What's your argument, folks?

Isn't Milosovich STILL on trial?

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
Originally posted by: miguel

Their argument is the same as every post they make on here.
The US is evil and the UN should be running the world.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003

He sure is. Wes Clark just testified in the case.(not sure if he still is or if he is back in the states)

boran

Golden Member
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: CPA
UN had their chance.

eh ... when, how, where, what ...

anyways, if they put him on trial in iraq (only option I see since the otehrs R clearly not usable)

they have to make sure even the followers of saddam would see it as justice, and not a farce, tought job, and I dunno if even possible, the followers of saddam (sijites or something, or I could just swap em around, I cant remember the names of them two groups overthere) had a good life under him, while others bad, but we're looking at imminent civil war, with the US stuck between a rock and a hard place, the ppls overthere R trained soldiers, not ppls that where trained to operate in a guerilla warfare as a moving target between two factions, shooting at eachother and them.

miguel

Nov 2, 2001
Originally posted by: boran
Originally posted by: CPA
UN had their chance.

eh ... when, how, where, what ...

anyways, if they put him on trial in iraq (only option I see since the otehrs R clearly not usable)

they have to make sure even the followers of saddam would see it as justice, and not a farce, tought job, and I dunno if even possible, the followers of saddam (sijites or something, or I could just swap em around, I cant remember the names of them two groups overthere) had a good life under him, while others bad, but we're looking at imminent civil war, with the US stuck between a rock and a hard place, the ppls overthere R trained soldiers, not ppls that where trained to operate in a guerilla warfare as a moving target between two factions, shooting at eachother and them.

Dude, get real: Saddam's followers will NEVER see that as justice, no matter what. Just like you can't convince the terrorists of the world that killing innocents is bad.

syzygy

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2001
The UN is guaranteed no execution. Iraqi Tribunal is leaning towards execution.

iraqi tribunal because execution is virtually certain. u.n. can crawl back under their rock. they have no legitimacy in deciding on iraq's
treatment of hussein after years of inept coddling.