POLL: "The ends justify the means."

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
EDIT... After much whining due to not having a specific subject or a "sometimes" option, I offer the following:

Ask youself this... When talking about a subject, if the other party were to say "The ends justify the means", would that automatically make you more likely to disregard their side of the discussion? Or would it lend a little credibility to it?

-OR-

If you were to think of every possible situation that you could, and applied the above statement to it... Would it be true more often than not?

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Kill one thousand babies for the stem cells to save Christopher Reeves?

I didn't think so..

EDIT: spelled de ole man's name wong.:eek:

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
That's completely dependant on the two variables: What are the ends, and what are the means?

Is it worth a single life to save hundreds? What about a single child's life to save a hundred elderly? Would the life of Kip Thorne be worth the life of 200 herion addicts?

crisp82

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
That's completely dependant on the two variables: What are the ends, and what are the means?

Is it worth a single life to save hundreds? What about a single child's life to save a hundred elderly? Would the life of Kip Thorne be worth the life of 200 herion addicts?
Exactly. same as saying the needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few. Who are the few, who are the many? What are the needs?

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: crisp82

Exactly. same as saying the needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few. Who are the few, who are the many? What are the needs?

In the end the statment is true, as humans are selfish by nature, as are all organisms in their struggle to survive.

"Sad but ture"

In respose to this possible comment, it is not really a sad characteristic. It is one that helps define the complexity and overall developmental process that creatures and their corressponding societies have achieved and gone through.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Sadly I had to vote true. From what I have seen during my lifetime most people preach that the ends do not justify the means but do the exact opposite.

isaacmacdonald

Platinum Member
Jun 7, 2002
another poll with insufficient options. add "the ends sometimes justify the means". Utilitarianism is all about finding the perfect balance.

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
LOL this is not a question to which you can apply to all situations, you must delineate the situation for us to answer in any semblance of rational order.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
"The end does not justify the means. No one's rights can be secured by the violation of the rights of others."

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I too cannot vote. Others described it quite well above. The true answer is: sometimes.

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
Originally posted by: dullard
I too cannot vote. Others described it quite well above. The true answer is: sometimes.
Alright, I edited my initial post.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I don't think they can be seperated, by definition therefore the answer is no.

Slammy1

Platinum Member
Apr 8, 2003
Amytime I've approached a problem from the supposition that the ends justify the means, I was left with the conclusion that the ends do not justify the means.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Wingznut
Ask youself this... When talking about a subject, if the other party were to say "The ends justify the means", would that automatically make you more likely to disregard their side of the discussion? Or would it lend a little credibility to it?
Again that depends. If they have good justifications that the ends are very benefiticial and the means are only slightly harmful then yes it leads credibility. But if they throw it in without justification then I'm more likely to disregard their side. Also if they have incorrect justification then I'm more likely to disregard their side.
If you were to think of every possible situation that you could, and applied the above statement to it... Would it be true more often than not?
I'd have to say its a tie. For any situation there are two extremes that could occur and if one extreme has the end justifying the means, then frequently the other extreme has the end not justifying the means.

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001

the third, and most important, is our value system