POLL: Sony Wega - How do you pronounce it?

Booster

Diamond Member
May 4, 2002
I voted for 'vega'. I think the original idea was to name it after the star system that sounds similar.

Gunbuster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
"Sony had problems because the advertising shows it as a V with an overlapped V over it (like a shadow). Some media took this a being a W. It is not a W. It is a V."

Sony gave up and just lets us baka americans call it wega now

MWink

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
"Sony had problems because the advertising shows it as a V with an overlapped V over it (like a shadow). Some media took this a being a W. It is not a W. It is a V."

I absolutely hate Sony for their naming schemes! It took me years to figure out it was Vaio. Wega was just as bad. I did suspect for a while that it was a V but everyone was calling it a W so I just followed the crowd.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Dunno. If you look at the logo it's clearly a V with a shadow so Vega and yet a lot of sites that sell it like crutchfield list the item as 'wega'.

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Gunbuster

interesting. good to know though.

luv2chill

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2000
Originally posted by: NightFlyerGTI
Well let's see... Sony themselves pronounce it 'WEGA' in the TV commercials...
No they don't.

You put that in quotes as if its an official source. Care to provide a link?

It's actually quite simple---

Spelled "WEGA"
Pronounced "VEGA"

For anyone who'd balk at that, how would you pronounce "Weiner schnitzel"?

l2c

P.S. And for those that just won't take my word for it, check out the source of this link.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: luv2chill
No they don't.

Spelled "WEGA"
Pronounced "VEGA"

l2c
He's correct, it's Vega.

Supermercado

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
I can't remember where I read it it - it was several years ago - but I'm pretty sure it's "vega." I believe that it looks like a W rather than a V because there are two V's overlapping. I think on the logo, it's in two different colors, isn't it? One silver and the other a darker grey? Either way, I say "vega."

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
No they don't.

Spelled "WEGA"
Pronounced "VEGA"

l2c

P.S. And for those that just won't take my word for it, check out the source of this link.

i understand where you're getting at with the "weiner schnitzel", but sony isn't a german company...they're japanese. I find it hard to believe that they'd use german pronunciation for a japanese product.

-=bmacd=-

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
I always pronounced with a 'V' and sometimes got funny looks.

A few reason, what the heck is a 'Wega'
And, I was thinking it would be like a German/Russian word and pronounced with a V instead of the W.

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
Sony always has stuff you can't pronounce correctly..

WEGA = vega

CLIE = KLEE-ay .. btw... CLIE stands for Communication, Link, Information and Entertainment

luv2chill

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2000
Originally posted by: bmacd

i understand where you're getting at with the "weiner schnitzel", but sony isn't a german company...they're japanese. I find it hard to believe that they'd use german pronunciation for a japanese product.

-=bmacd=-

Did you click the link in my post?

l2c

dakata24

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2000
Originally posted by: bmacd

-=bmacd=-

Did you click the link in my post?

l2c

fixed link

hpkeeper

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
I work in a warehouse.... we get tons of those TV's, it's prounounced "VEGA"... no questions about it.

LordFortius

Mar 11, 2001

Definitely. I have a pamphlet from one of the early XBR Vega's that specifically says the Vega line was named after the star Vega because its one of the brightests stars in the night sky. Only problem was that it was printed with shadow print, so everyone thought it looked like a W.

Doesn't really matter though. No one can ever pronounce Sony's product lines properly anyway, no reason for this to be an exception.

Now, if you really want to see a cool tv, check this out. Its part of their new Wega XBR plasma line.

XBR Flat Panel Plasma WEGA

As you can see, even sony has given up on Vega.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Square is a Japanese company, is it not? Yet they have games named Einhander and Ehrgeiz. Einhander even has German speech in it!

GoSharks

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 1999
Originally posted by: guyver01
Sony always has stuff you can't pronounce correctly..

WEGA = vega

CLIE = KLEE-ay .. btw... CLIE stands for Communication, Link, Information and Entertainment

u left out the accent on the the e, the dash going up. at least in french, you put emphisis on the letter with that accent on it, so you get the -ay sound. perfectly normal for me as a french student...