**POLL** Should I get the warranty for refurbished phone (SAMSUNG SPH i500)?

Psyber

Oct 27, 1999
I just got a refurbished SAMSUNG SPH i500 on E-ghey. I usually don't consider this warranty stuff because I figure I'd get a new phone by the time it breaks. But... the phone I got was refurbished, and it would be a good investment if it for some reason breaks in the first year. Thoughts?

Phone=$175 (includes shipping)
Warranty=$16(3 years)

Also, please post with your vote so I can get some bumpage.

edit
streamlined thread title
terms of warranty

Psyber

Oct 27, 1999
Originally posted by: Reel
What carrier is that?

Sprint PCS. I got a really good plan so I decided to pay for the phone on my own. Sprint kinda sux, but for < $30 a month and never going over my allotted time, it's worth it.

Reel

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2001
My experience with sprint phones has been that they seem to suddenly degrade in quality at about 13 months, immediately after the warranty period ends. It has happened to me multiple times with multiple phones that my service quality because awful. One day I can make a call in any situation without any drops, then the next it drops calls frequently in those same locations. $16 for a 3 year warranty is a great deal if it really covers full replacement.

The alternative is to get the sprint warranty service. I think it is $5/mo but in situations like mine where it is degraded quality and not a destroyed phone, you can start it 30 days before you make the claim, claim it, then cancel the service. The total cost for a new phone comes out to be less than $50. I had done this once before at a customer service rep's suggestion.

I agree with your assessment of their service too though.

Psyber

Oct 27, 1999
Originally posted by: Reel
The alternative is to get the sprint warranty service. I think it is $5/mo but in situations like mine where it is degraded quality and not a destroyed phone, you can start it 30 days before you make the claim, claim it, then cancel the service. The total cost for a new phone comes out to be less than $50. I had done this once before at a customer service rep's suggestion.
Ahh I should've tried this.