Poll: Sen Whitehouse begins process to put SCOTUS under ethics rules. Is it needed?

Should SCOTUS be subject to strict ethics rules?

• Total voters

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I suppose the threshold question is can the legislature and executive branch impose such a rule (or any rule for that matter) upon the Court under the Constitution?

Although I'm 100% in favor of this-the Supreme Court justices are the ONLY judges (or lawyers for that matter) in the US that are NOT obligated to follow the professional codes of ethics-I see some real potential constitutional problems with such a proposed statute. Perhaps if this bill gains enough support to pass Congress and the Senate and the President indicates he will sign it the members of the Court will themselves impose the standard professional rules upon themselves.

Much of the Court's power comes from public support and without a doubt they look bad operating without being subject to the basic rules of conduct that attorneys and all other judges must comply with.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Maybe not all of SCOTUS, only Clarence Thomas the cancer. Remove the cancer and the high court may heal by itself. We have a bad apple and that bad apple must go. Just like the one bad cop, that bad cop can give the entire force a bad name.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Maybe not all of SCOTUS, only Clarence Thomas the cancer. Remove the cancer and the high court may heal by itself. We have a bad apple and that bad apple must go. Just like the one bad cop, that bad cop can give the entire force a bad name.
Oh yeah, just Thomas, because that lying, 17th Century solon Sam the Sham Alito is beyond approach . . . not to mention Beer Bong Boy and Amy the Virgin. JFC, OP, what rock have you been hiding under?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
We have a minimum of 2 bad apples. Thomas and Alito. That's why an intrusive investigation needs to happen.

Remember when all the right wingers were exercised because of the Dobbs leak? What happened to that investigation and the right wing fervor? They realize the likly leaker was Alito in an attempt to soften the blow for the ultimate ruling.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
What Homer said.

Right wing justices cannot be trusted, it's that simple. They think they are entitled to perjure themselves and don't seem to give a shit about conflicts of interest. Thomas' refusal to recuse himself in order to protect his batshit traitor wife alone answers this thread.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Is this not one branch of government asserting itself over the other?
And how is the Court to be punished, removal?
The process to remove would be the same, as I assume it is stipulated in the Constitution?

All this would be, IMO, is partisan fussing over the excuse to initiate impeachment.

• Haha
Nov 17, 2019
The Judiciary as a whole needs to be reformed and reconstructed.. I've outlined it before and told it from the inside.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Is this not one branch of government asserting itself over the other?
And how is the Court to be punished, removal?
The process to remove would be the same, as I assume it is stipulated in the Constitution?

All this would be, IMO, is partisan fussing over the excuse to initiate impeachment.

If we have co equal branches of govt why shouldn’t SCOTUS be subject to oversight? Do we just let corruption in the court just slide??

Remember the big deal made over the Dobbs leak and now you want to forget about another partisan leak?

We also need to investigate why decisions seem pre determined based on ideology and not on facts of the case. I say the same court that try’s cases should not decide what cases to hear. Conservatives are deciding the same cases they cherry-pick.

Reactions: Pohemi and hal2kilo

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
All the things they are requesting are good and should be adopted, but none of them really fixes any problems because how can you enforce any of them? Who judges the judges?
Ultimately the only real check on the SCOTUS is that the President chooses the candidates and Congress approves of them, and that Congress can remove them at any time if they disapprove of their decisions for basically any reason. That is what is broken, we Congress has been derelict in it's duty to appoint good stewards of our democracy, and to hold them to a high standard.

Democracy does not work if Congress does not do it's work.

Reactions: Muse

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I'd be interested to see who could bring the case. Standing would be a hurdle. At least until one of the 9 current SCOTUS sues.
It would be kind of interesting to see how that case would come about but yes presumably the first time someone attempted to apply the judicial ethics rules to them they would have standing and they would probably just toss the case.

This is what I think people aren't getting here. The issue with SCOTUS is it has become lawless and unmoored from traditional understandings of the constitution and legal restraint. You can't pass a new law to make them stop doing that. The ONLY answer is a political one, to take their power away by expanding the court. This serves as both an immediate fix AND as a reminder to the institution to not get too far out of line.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
This serves as both an immediate fix AND as a reminder to the institution to not get too far out of line.
This all comes down to Congress doing their job, and if they were willing to do that we would not be in this mess in the first place.

Reactions: Motostu
Nov 17, 2019
Who judges the Judges is an independent panel of non-Government peers ... lawyers, legal scholars and maybe retired judges. What they say goes. Their decisions would be grounds for discipline or removal and would not be subject to interference by any of the three Branches.

As it stands, Congress can (or at least has) only Impeach(ed) Judges for criminal behavior or excessively bad behavior (which Thomas would fit into).

The Bench needs to be 13, one for (and from) each Federal Circuit and they would rotate each session. No one would sit on two consecutive sessions.

For all or any changes to stick, it would need to be an Ammendment which in this climate would be nearly impossible to ratify.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
This all comes down to Congress doing their job, and if they were willing to do that we would not be in this mess in the first place.
We love to see the timeline of the approval of congress and the appearance of Gingrich.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Gotta get that filibuster. GenZ and the ladies will hopefully follow up that eye poke with a hard kick straight to the junction.
Yep - next time Dems have a trifecta (whenever that is...) they should take a minute in like May of the first year and eliminate the filibuster and pack the court. Conservatives will be outraged but the voters won't care and it will be long forgotten 18 months later when the next election happens.

It's like with Merrick Garland - Republicans bet the voters wouldn't care about that and they were right.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Yep - next time Dems have a trifecta (whenever that is...) they should take a minute in like May of the first year and eliminate the filibuster and pack the court. Conservatives will be outraged but the voters won't care and it will be long forgotten 18 months later when the next election happens.

It's like with Merrick Garland - Republicans bet the voters wouldn't care about that and they were right.

One big problem with your assessment. The mainstream media will hyper focus on it and the Dems will suck at messaging back. Because the mainstream media sucks and Dems think that people can understand nuance and principle and actually remember all the shitty things the GQP does.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

I feel pretty confident everyone except Team Treason understands a repair is necessary. Expanding the court with qualified jurists is that repair. It will evoke the usual fury over something getting fixed despite R objections, but oh well. Restoring the credibility and legitimacy of our highest court is more important.

Speaking of, the list of fixes should probably include some more formal rules regarding SCOTUS hearings, to prevent future Moscow Mitchs from giving the finger to the President and the nominee like that. Made up rules that undermine the will of the voters still shouldn't be used, even if many of them didn't register it in the next election.

GQP is set to piss away the next 2 years on a Hunter Biden show, while doing as much as they can to prevent President Biden from doing anything. Will probably get a debt ceiling fight again, thanks to repugs who are only in this to piss and moan while they act amnesiacs for the cameras. Then add in the DeSantis and Trump war. The evangelicals are now ditching Trump btw "He used us." hahaha, right

I think odds are good that Dem trifecta happens again in 2024, but as usual, we'll see.

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
One big problem with your assessment. The mainstream media will hyper focus on it and the Dems will suck at messaging back. Because the mainstream media sucks and Dems think that people can understand nuance and principle and actually remember all the shitty things the GQP does.
I'm going to register my extreme skepticism that the media will focus on that for 18 months. They will focus on it when the filibuster gets eliminated and then each SCOTUS nomination will capture their attention. This is why you Amy Coney Barrett them all and ram them through in a month or two. The media will not focus on it because their consumers don't care about the topic and that's all the media cares about.

Also, are we still going on about Democratic messaging sucking? I remember before the election this year everyone had all sorts of ideas as to what the Democrats were doing wrong only for it to turn out that they basically nailed it.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I'm going to register my extreme skepticism that the media will focus on that for 18 months. They will focus on it when the filibuster gets eliminated and then each SCOTUS nomination will capture their attention. This is why you Amy Coney Barrett them all and ram them through in a month or two. The media will not focus on it because their consumers don't care about the topic and that's all the media cares about.

Also, are we still going on about Democratic messaging sucking? I remember before the election this year everyone had all sorts of ideas as to what the Democrats were doing wrong only for it to turn out that they basically nailed it.
I think that you are calling Republicans destroying themselves Democrats nailing it. Anyway, in my opinion, nailing it can't happen without a synthesis of opposites at a higher degree of understanding articulated to a significant degree. Only a synthesis of opposites, in my opinion, characterizes real understanding.