POLL- Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condoleeza_Rice

Talked about as a Vice-Presidential candidate or even a Presidential candidate during the Bushies honeymoon with America, before it all went wrong.
She has now been Secretary of State since January 26, 2005.
Funny I don't hear any more talk about elective offices she is toute for.

So how's Condi doing?

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Don Vito Corleone
More to the point, WHAT is she doing?
You can be sure if there is something going on in the world Condi is no where near it.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Rice is just another lame Bushwhacko mouthpiece. She should have stuck with playing the piano. At least, people wouldn't be dying when she screws up. :roll:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
LOL at poll. so far it proves that at least 8 people follow Don Vito's line of questioning.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
At one point it looked like Rice was going to start to actually try to be a rational Secretary of State by breaking with Dick Cheney, but she refused to break with the neocon party line. She can try to be Secretary of State or openly follow the neocon party line, and she can have one or the other and not both.

Somewhat of a potential crown jewel of her rein might have been talks on a Palestinian State she is still trying to broker, but those look doomed because Israel won't even commit to an agenda, she and Malki were not even on speaking terms over blackwater, in talks with the Turks on the PKK which is a regional problem, she pretended Iran and Syrian representatives were not even in the room, and she seems totally missing in action regarding Pakistani problems. And thats just the recent short list.

Its not that Rice is some Pollyanna looking at the world through rose colored glasses, she is trying to remake the world over in her distorted image, and no one in the rest of the world is buying her crapola any longer. She somewhat suffers from GWB lame duck syndrome, wait a year and she will be gone. Meanwhile, ignore the idiotic bitch because she speaks with a forked tongue and offers no real world solutions because she lives in her own fantasy world.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I see her as a talking puppet. Every time I hear her on the radio she is mouthing some rehearsed naive scripted garbage nobody could ever believe.

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
Average. I think she could have been better, but the current administration is set in its policies which in some cases like Iraq have not worked well at all.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Its hard to tell really, I mean she is saddled with one of the worst foreign policies in American history and she has to sell it. Sure she's failed to do so, but I'm not sure anyone could.

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000
Since she takes orders from GWB one cannot expect much. I had high hopes for her but she is trying to run with a broken leg that isn't gonna heal any time soon.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Its hard to tell really, I mean she is saddled with one of the worst foreign policies in American history and she has to sell it. Sure she's failed to do so, but I'm not sure anyone could.

I don't/won't cut her any slack because she helped to sell us this foreign policy in the first place. She made her bed and now she has to lie in it.

Zedtom

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001
Somebody at the State Department is responsible for the defusing of North Korea and if she wants to take credit, I suppose she can. Other than that, she seems as innocuous as Laura Bush. When either Condi or Mrs. Bush are overseas, most people barely notice or care.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
She spent the first 8 months of her job asleep at the wheel, did her best to insulate the Big Crony from the warnings of our best counter-terrorist, and then gave us that lovely performance at the 9/11 Hearings.

So yeah, other than the lack of integrity, honesty, and competency - she's just swell :|

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
It's hard to know the truth of them, but there are stories of her being at odds with the Cheney/Rumsfeld agenda, at odds with the hawkish policies.

If true, those are in her favor. I was going to ask for a 'below average, but better than terrible' category, but when I look at other secretaries of state, they're a pretty weak lot.

Madeline Albright? War criminal Henry Kissinger? Dean Rusk? Machiavellian James Baker? William Rogers? George Schultz? Powell? I guess she probably does deserve 'average'.

It's easy to confuse 'powerful' or someone who does a lot with 'good', but I think that's a mistake when the lot they do is harmful/bad policy.

For example, John Foster Dulles could be seen as a good Secretary of State as one who was very influential, but were his victories preserving American loyalty to European allies' colonialism 'good' policy, or was his influence misused to maintain the US's support of wrong to other people, until later largely reversed by President Kennedy? Was Kissinger 'good' simply because he always had an agenda, a real or postured sophistication to policy, regardless of the evil policies he pursued?

Secretaries of state rarely seem to stand out in a good way, unable to be effective with a bad president, and pushed aside by a good one.

In fact, if the stories are true, Rice may play a more valuable role in influencing Bush than most.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Does it seem to anyone else that Condi just talks and talks and talks . . .

And talks and talks . . .

And talks and talks . . .

Without ever giving a straight answer?

I realize it's a 'politician' thang but in a 5-minute interview she just talks and talks and . . .

....evasively... without answering the question.

As Sec of State: D+

As National Security Advisor: F

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Why an I not surprised by the poll results.

Because you have a functioning brain which can link performance to results, then ultimately to opinion?

The BDS runs deep in here...

Forget what I said. Makes me wonder what runs deep in you to excuse, nee', defend pretty much whatever this admin says or does. You guys really need to find yourselves a new buzzword, preferably one that doesn't make you all look like myopic partisans.
If you can't handle the meat of the issue, then please, by all means, return to whatever PrevaricatorJohn stroke fest you came from.

Don't forget your :cookie:! ;)

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
Why an I not surprised by the poll results. :roll:

So you think American foreign policy and diplomacy has been a success while she has been secretary of state? If so, please list examples of these successes. Either that, or stop making stupid posts... whichever works for you.

wirelessenabled

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2001

So you think American foreign policy and diplomacy has been a success while she has been secretary of state? If so, please list examples of these successes. Either that, or stop making stupid posts... whichever works for you.

:thumbsup:

Time will tell:shocked:

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Kindasleazy has been a total failure. She is the country's top diplomat, but what are her diplomatic achievements?

ranmaniac

Golden Member
May 14, 2001
At least she doesn't hurt the eyes as much as Madeleine Albright, but I don't really dig the James Brown look on a woman.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: kage69
Why an I not surprised by the poll results.

Because you have a functioning brain which can link performance to results, then ultimately to opinion?

Forget what I said. Makes me wonder what runs deep in you to excuse, nee', defend pretty much whatever this admin says or does. You guys really need to find yourselves a new buzzword, preferably one that doesn't make you all look like myopic partisans.
If you can't handle the meat of the issue, then please, by all means, return to whatever PrevaricatorJohn stroke fest you came from.

Don't forget your :cookie:! ;)

Pssttt- take a look at the comments made in this thread.
lame Bushwhacko mouthpiece
talking puppet
Since she takes orders from GWB one cannot expect much

THAT is BDS. This thread was about HER performance - not Bush's. Sure comments can be made that address the obvious policy connection but to deride her because you hate Bush is stupid. Not everything is about Bush. Sheesh.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

:roll: The only "stupid" here is the BDS. Quit getting stuck on it.

Now as to my opinion of HER performance - I did not state it has been a "success" so pry that knee from your chin. I do agree with Craig234 a bit and also lemonlaw. <gasp> Certainly not stellar but that position is rarely a "star" position, plus the policy is usually dictated and they are mainly the messenger/mediator for that policy.

Meh, I think she could have done more but I've thought that about the last handfull of them.

Feb 10, 2000

:roll: The only "stupid" here is the BDS. Quit getting stuck on it.

Now as to my opinion of HER performance - I did not state it has been a "success" so pry that knee from your chin. I do agree with Craig234 a bit and also lemonlaw. <gasp> Certainly not stellar but that position is rarely a "star" position, plus the policy is usually dictated and they are mainly the messenger/mediator for that policy.

Meh, I think she could have done more but I've thought that about the last handfull of them.

Jesus - you are one big drama queen since your return. You were a strong poster here, years ago, but now every single post has at least one rolling-eyes icon and/or Limbaugh acronym. I don't recall such whininess in years past.

I find it hard to understand how any sane person with a sense of history could defend our foreign policy during the Bush era with a straight face. Condi Rice, like her predecessor, is a bright person, but you'd be hard-pressed to point to a single notable foreign policy accomplishment during her nearly 3-year tenure. I don't think she has been terrible (considering the stupid neoconservative foreign policy she is obligated to proceed under), but can you seriously say she has been anything special?