POLL: Regime change in North Korea through force?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
Originally posted by: wanders
Hussein has used chemical weapons against his own people and against his neighbors, he has invaded his neighbors, he has killed thousands of his own people...
All with US approval and support.

Whatever...

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Hussein is a lunatic, attacking anybody and everybody with whatever weapons are at hand. He was givin ample time to comply, yet didn't. We're at war to disarm him by force. Your useless post did NOTHING to back your genius friend's assertion that we are merely freeing the people of Iraq from their tyrannical regime.

colonel

Golden Member
Apr 22, 2001
If you value human life you will agree that there is no benefit from starting a war that has a high possibility of using nukes against cities.

well I think we value Americans lives, the rest of the world can be bomb with friendly fire, first food add some bomb and you get = Bush

Grey

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 1999
Forget NK, let's see China show they belong in the world arena and deal with it. That nation has been cowardly hiding during this whole scenario. They better act soon or Japan will build their own nukes.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: colonel
If you value human life you will agree that there is no benefit from starting a war that has a high possibility of using nukes against cities.

well I think we value Americans lives, the rest of the world can be bomb with friendly fire, first food add some bomb and you get = Bush
You do your side of the isle proud. Keep up the good work!

drewshin

Golden Member
Dec 14, 1999
i definitely think we should. if nk can get away by using the nuke as a deterrent, you will see many other rogue countries scrambling to get nukes as well to "protect" themselves if they think that the u.s. will attack them.

i always thought the u.s. should have gone into north korea first before they are able to fully develop their weapons before they went into iraq.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Trezza
NK has admited they have nukes and stated they can possibly reach the US with them. If you value human life you will agree that there is no benefit from starting a war that has a high possibility of using nukes against cities.
What about all the human lives that will be lost if NK decides to transfer WMD to terrorists or states that sponsor terrorists?

BaDaBooM

Golden Member
May 3, 2000
This is why I hate that argument about treating all dictators the same. You CANNOT do that. Different situations require different actions. In NK's case we need to get Russia and China (especially China) to step up to the plate and quit talking out both sides of their mouths. They have not put full diplomatic effort into North Korea like they already had done for Iraq during the last 12 years.

wanders

Apr 5, 2003
Hussein is a lunatic [..]
He's obviously sane enough to have staid in power for a very long time, even during hard times such as the sanctions. Before the sanctions, he also led one of the more prosperous countries in the middle east, especially considering its size.

[..] attacking anybody and everybody [..]
Iran and Kuwait, with a few provocation missiles towards Israel is "anybody and everybody" now?

[..] with whatever weapons are at hand.
Some of the more nasty specimens thereof brought to him courtesy of the US of A.

He was givin ample time to comply, yet didn't.
Actually, when he started taking real steps towards complying, the US decided that it was time to launch the attack.

[..] we are merely freeing the people of Iraq from their tyrannical regime.
Well, that obviously isn't true, is it? The primary reason is not to free the people of Iraq, nor to disarm Iraq. It's about establishing the US as the prime power player in global politics. Disarmament was the first justification, but it became clear that disarmament wouldn't justify an immediate war, so it was subsequently discarded. Instead we will see the pledge of the Iraqis being increasedly used as justification for the war. Hopefully there will at least be a real effort to rebuild Iraq properly, with the same kind of aid levels given to Israel and Egypt.

BaDaBooM

Golden Member
May 3, 2000
Hussein is a lunatic [..]
He's obviously sane enough to have staid in power for a very long time, even during hard times such as the sanctions. Before the sanctions, he also led one of the more prosperous countries in the middle east, especially considering its size.

Uhh, since when is sanity a requirement to staying in power? A lunatic can use fear even better than a sane person to stay in power.

[..] attacking anybody and everybody [..]
Iran and Kuwait, with a few provocation missiles towards Israel is "anybody and everybody" now?

Exactly how many countries is enough?

[..] with whatever weapons are at hand.
Some of the more nasty specimens thereof brought to him courtesy of the US of A.

I haven't seen definitive documentation of it... I'm not saying US didn't for sure, but if so that was a long time ago and things change.

He was givin ample time to comply, yet didn't.
Actually, when he started taking real steps towards complying, the US decided that it was time to launch the attack.

Complying required him to show the inspectors where the weapons were. Instead the inspectors had to find them before he would destroy them, and even then, only cuz of the troops sitting at his door. Read Res 1441 again, you seemed to have missed some requirements.

[..] we are merely freeing the people of Iraq from their tyrannical regime.
Well, that obviously isn't true, is it? The primary reason is not to free the people of Iraq, nor to disarm Iraq. It's about establishing the US as the prime power player in global politics. Disarmament was the first justification, but it became clear that disarmament wouldn't justify an immediate war, so it was subsequently discarded. Instead we will see the pledge of the Iraqis being increasedly used as justification for the war. Hopefully there will at least be a real effort to rebuild Iraq properly, with the same kind of aid levels given to Israel and Egypt.
[/quote]

rolleye.gif
Yea, that's why they made public statements that we would leave Iraq when it was done. It is being done to disarm Iraq, and freeing the Iraqi people is something good we can do along the way.

tec699

Banned
Dec 19, 2002
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
My grandfather fought in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. He says, without a doubt, the Koreans were the hardest to fight. Invading N. Korea would require a draft!

Yea.. my dad has fought in the Korean War and he said the same thing. One time, he was at a post with a mounted machine gun mowing down North Koreans and they just kept coming and coming. Swams of them overtook my father's area, but he got the hell out of there. His buddies weren't so lucky as most died. He opposes attacking North Korea, because it could easily turn into a disaster.

wanders

Apr 5, 2003
Yea, that's why they made public statements that we would leave Iraq when it was done.
What has that to do with anything? Furthermore, I have yet to see a specification for what "done" is supposed to mean here.

It is being done to disarm Iraq
Disarm Iraq of what? Why?
Given that Iraq has never had any weapons that could pose a significant threat towards the US, this is an odd statement.

BaDaBooM

Golden Member
May 3, 2000
Yea, that's why they made public statements that we would leave Iraq when it was done.
What has that to do with anything? Furthermore, I have yet to see a specification for what "done" is supposed to mean here.

It means that your statement is based on nothing. It was even false as they have always said the reason is disarmament. The other reasons were in addition to disarmament, not instead of. I base what the plan is on what they have been saying for months, not speculation. And if they go back on their word, then I will be one of the first ones to jump their sh1t.

wanders

Apr 5, 2003
It means that your statement is based on nothing.
How is that? I can't see how it addresses the basis of my statement in any way.

I base what the plan is on what they have been saying for months, not speculation.
"What they say" goes against the actual situation in the real world.

BaDaBooM

Golden Member
May 3, 2000
It means that your statement is based on nothing.
How is that? I can't see how it addresses the basis of my statement in any way.

As in, you have no proof. You are speculating. See below.

I base what the plan is on what they have been saying for months, not speculation.
"What they say" goes against the actual situation in the real world.
[/quote]

Not speculation eh? So you can see in the future? How can it go against the actual situation in the real world when "it" hasn't happened yet. They say they are going to leave when Iraq is stable. You can't say they won't as a fact because it hasn't happened yet!

colonel

Golden Member
Apr 22, 2001
In NK's case we need to get Russia and China (especially China) to step up to the plate and quit talking out both sides of their mouths. They have not put full
we blew that time, long before, China will never help us because US is backing Taiwan, if you remember the spy plane, US was ready to sell nuclear sub to Taiwan ; China hold the crew of the plane and Senator Mc Cain said that the real issue was the sell of the sub. is Politics , politics....

BaDaBooM

Golden Member
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by: colonel
In NK's case we need to get Russia and China (especially China) to step up to the plate and quit talking out both sides of their mouths. They have not put full
we blew that time, long before, China will never help us because US is backing Taiwan, if you remember the spy plane, US was ready to sell nuclear sub to Taiwan ; China hold the crew of the plane and Senator Mc Cain said that the real issue was the sell of the sub. is Politics , politics....

well, for our sake they need to try harder. I don't believe they have put a full diplomatic effort into this. They may still be able to repair that and get China on board with it. It's worth trying.

wanders

Apr 5, 2003
As in, you have no proof. You are speculating.
What are you talking about?

Not speculation eh? So you can see in the future?
What does the future have to do with Iraq's lack of weapons which could pose a significant threat to the US?

They say they are going to leave when Iraq is stable.
That's news to me. The most I've seen is an unqualified "we will stay as long as necessary".

Furthermore, define "stable" -- Iraq was more than stable during Saddam's rule, for example. Would it be sufficient to replace one dictator with another, as long as it led to stability?

BaDaBooM

Golden Member
May 3, 2000
What are you talking about?

I'm talking about when you said this: "It's about establishing the US as the prime power player in global politics." That is speculation and is not based on anything. They have always stated that the goal was disarmament.

What does the future have to do with Iraq's lack of weapons which could pose a significant threat to the US?

Iraq admitted they had the weapons, so how is there a lack of weapons? Iraq said they destroyed them. The entire UN agreed to 1441 which said the burden of proof was on Iraq. Iraq had to prove they destroyed them. This would be easily done by records, taking inspectors to the sites where they destroyed them, etc.

That's news to me. The most I've seen is an unqualified "we will stay as long as necessary".

Furthermore, define "stable" -- Iraq was more than stable during Saddam's rule, for example. Would it be sufficient to replace one dictator with another, as long as it led to stability?

Oh god...
rolleye.gif
I've seen this statement all over the place. Stable = When Saddam's regime is removed and the Iraqi people have the infrastructure and government set up to govern themselves and provide security for themselves. Like what we're doing in Afgahnistan.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Originally posted by: FrontlineWarrior
Originally posted by: Morph
That's funny, I hear no one talking about freeing the people of NK from their tyrannical regime. That's why we invaded Iraq, right? But since NK isn't a pushover (and they don't have any oil either), we should say hell with the people and "let them starve to death"? I think I'm understanding now. We Americans are great humanitarians but only when it's convenient and serves a useful purpose for us.
Do you understand anything about international politics? All decisions are made based on cost/benefit analysis. The cost of taking Iraq was deemed to be outweighed by the benefit, both for the US and for the Iraqi people. The cost of attempting to take North Korea is not so clear, and possibly disastrous. You talk as if you don't understand this simple point.

I'd say Morph understands the point perfectly. And your cost benefit analysis proves Morph's point.

Under the current administration we only attack nations that are easily defeated and have something we want. Don't people see the hypocrisy in that?

BaDaBooM

Golden Member
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by: BOBDN
That's funny, I hear no one talking about freeing the people of NK from their tyrannical regime. That's why we invaded Iraq, right? But since NK isn't a pushover (and they don't have any oil either), we should say hell with the people and "let them starve to death"? I think I'm understanding now. We Americans are great humanitarians but only when it's convenient and serves a useful purpose for us.
Do you understand anything about international politics? All decisions are made based on cost/benefit analysis. The cost of taking Iraq was deemed to be outweighed by the benefit, both for the US and for the Iraqi people. The cost of attempting to take North Korea is not so clear, and possibly disastrous. You talk as if you don't understand this simple point.

I'd say Morph understands the point perfectly. And your cost benefit analysis proves Morph's point.

Under the current administration we only attack nations that are easily defeated and have something we want. Don't people see the hypocrisy in that?

No, that's not why we invaded Iraq. It is to disarm them and freeing the people is added bonus. Iraq has a history of supporting and providing safe haven for terrorists that are Anti-American. NK does not. Oil has nothing to do with it. However you are right in that how hard it is to win is definately a factor and should be. It is not beneficial to go in to "free" their people when most of the Korean pennisula would be destroyed in doing so. We would not be able to fight the same way we are in Iraq. In Iraq we are avoiding civilian casualties as best as we can. In NK, we wouldn't be able to do that.

FrontlineWarrior

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2000
Originally posted by: BOBDN

That's what international politics is all about. It's pure power and self interest. If something good happens along the way, then great. That's the way it's been since the beginning of time up until now. What is so shocking or hypocritical about it? Step out into the real world some time.

exp

Platinum Member
May 9, 2001
China will never help us because US is backing Taiwan
I think you are dead wrong there. The Chinese do not want to see an ever-increasing NK nuclear stockpile any more than the U.S. does...not because they fear NK specifically, but because they fear the consequences that development would have on the rest of the region. Does anyone think China wants to see Japan, SK, and Taiwan inevitably develop their own nuclear programs to counter NK's?? Hell no. Right now the Chinese are just playing a little game of chicken...you can bet that their nonchalant public attitude is a far cry from their public concerns.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Oh god... I've seen this statement all over the place. Stable = When Saddam's regime is removed and the Iraqi people have the infrastructure and government set up to govern themselves and provide security for themselves. Like what we're doing in Afgahnistan.

So I guess we are going to install a mayor of Baghdad and call it a day . . .

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
This whole thread is getting ridiculous! We let this worm slide in '92. Since 9-11 we've been committed to disarming him. We have NOT deviated from this course since then, despite all the opposition at home and abroad.

North Korea WILL be dealt with. We tried like hell to use "diplomacy". That has been our first choice. It's the UN Security council threatening more sanctions, and whose fault will it be if they're implemented? Whose fault will it be if this comes down to force?