POLL: quitting work...do you give more than 2 weeks?

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
when you are going to quit your job, do you just do the minimum and give them 2 weeks? or are you more considerate and give them as much notice as you can? i quit work today, and i gave him 5-6 weeks of notice so he could get another person here for me to train before i leave. the guy behind me said "why did you do that?" and he couldnt get it through his head that it is pretty much a nice thing to do. sure, it isnt required, but i dont see why anyone WOULDNT give as much notice as possible.

if you get treated like dirt, then ok, give 2 weeks and thats it, but most people arent treated poorly. please give a response...

FYI, he tends to not give people the quarterly bonus if they quit around that time, but since i gave him notice, he is giving me 75% of what it would have been had i still been working. i guess there are some advantages to being considerate.

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
I guess it does depend on the situation. When I quit my pizza delivery job to go to work for a food processing plant as a computer tech, I gave 2 weeks notice. Then again, replacing a delivery driver isn't all that hard.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
hmm good point...it could be situational, but i would still give as much as time as possible, but that is just me

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
If you are flexible and don't mind working longer, I'd recommend more than 2 weeks. I gave 3+ weeks.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
why the hell did you guys not vote for option 2 then? why is my vote the only one for more than 2 weeks if there are 2 people who think the same thing...

3point14

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2003
I have been with my job for almost 2 years. I quit 6 days ago and my last day is April 9th. I am helping to find a replacement, but it's been kinda hard. I will still help them out after I leave, but I start my new job and classes on April 12th. My boss is kinda hard pressed to find a replacement, but he understood why I was leaving. Good luck to ya :beer:

Borracho

Banned
Mar 26, 2004
Originally posted by: MrDudeMan
why the hell did you guys not vote for option 2 then? why is my vote the only one for more than 2 weeks if there are 2 people who think the same thing...

Ok happy now!!!???

beatle

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2001
I would have voted #2, but if I'm treated poorly, sometimes I just tell them the day I'm leaving.

My last job wasn't even always full time. I'd work for 40-50 hours a week for a month or two at a time, then we'd have to "stand down" for a few weeks before getting more work. It wasn't cut out like that when I was hired, and the management was awful. Free :beer: if you can tell me what project/company this is (hint, it's big). Once I found my current job, I was outta there!