POLL: Oil down 18+% from its high. How far down is your gasoline from its high?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
High of $3.89 here at the station I frequent. Been below $3.50 for more than a week. Was $3.37 this morning before work. Didn't pay attention to the price on the way home.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Skoorb
I am starting to think we're getting f***ed at the pump. Oil is down from $147 or so high to about $119 now over the past few weeks or a month. I know there is always a delay as oil goes up before gas goes up, but the delay seems very short-lived to me. I feel the delay coming back down is much, much slower. Given that at current prices the raw cost of oil is ~75% (?) of cost, a reduction of 18% should, once the drop kicks in, pull prices down by 13-14% and in my case using a couple of stations I see every day, one has gone from $4.29 to $4.09, which is no more than 5%. I read that 11 states still have gas over $4/gallon.
If you're still in Bham you need to stop at Jet Pep at HWY 31 and I459 where it was $3.71 this morning. ;)

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: EagleKeeper
Originally posted by: Common Courtesy
StateTaxes play a difference in the prices also

That's fixed.

Each state levies a different amount of taxes.

Fixed in each state.

Each geo area in the state may have prices controlled by a distribution network.
There was an article recently indicating that depending on which street corner the station was on could affect the price of fuel. (Zones)
Then you also have the difference in overhead for the station (in some places).

Erock

Dec 1, 2007
3.99 down to 3.64 in Minneapolis so that chart says. Its 3.53 a block from my house.

dualsmp

Golden Member
Aug 16, 2003
Gas will hit $2.99 or maybe a little lower before the election. They always pull this stunt to quell the public anger of high fuel prices, and also to diminish the issue during the run-up to inauguration. It's like clockwork.

Even though $2.99 isn't that cheap, it will seem cheap enough to Joe six pack compared to over $4 dollar a gallon gas. After election watch for plenty of excuses to jack it back up to over $4 bucks again.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I can tell a lot of you don't live in the Northeast-gas here (at the cheapie, off brand stations) went from $4.30/4.35 to just over $4.00 now-about a 7-8% decline. Heating oil (the predominant form of heating in this area) is $4.50 or higher-it will run way over $1200 to fill the average home heating oil tank, which most of us have to do several times per winter.

BTW-the title is wrong-it says gas (not crude oil) is down 18%.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Thump553
I can tell a lot of you don't live in the Northeast-gas here (at the cheapie, off brand stations) went from $4.30/4.35 to just over $4.00 now-about a 7-8% decline. Heating oil (the predominant form of heating in this area) is $4.50 or higher-it will run way over $1200 to fill the average home heating oil tank, which most of us have to do several times per winter.

Title fixed!

Rockinacoustic

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2006

Same here on Long Island; we've gone the same route. I actually saw gas for 3.93 last night the town over from me :Q

I'm heading there during lunch.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

That's fixed.

Fixed in each state.

Each geo area in the state may have prices controlled by a distribution network.
There was an article recently indicating that depending on which street corner the station was on could affect the price of fuel. (Zones)

Oh please

The apologizing for the corrupt Industry is getting beyond pathetic.

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002

If that is the case and you are looking at a $3000-5000 fuel bill to heat your house, why not just install a central gas-fired furnace ?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: dualsmp
Gas will hit $2.99 or maybe a little lower before the election. They always pull this stunt to quell the public anger of high fuel prices, and also to diminish the issue during the run-up to inauguration. It's like clockwork.

Even though $2.99 isn't that cheap, it will seem cheap enough to Joe six pack compared to over $4 dollar a gallon gas. After election watch for plenty of excuses to jack it back up to over $4 bucks again.

Exactly

They are shooting for $7 this time after the election.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: ebaycj

If that is the case and you are looking at a $3000-5000 fuel bill to heat your house, why not just install a central gas-fired furnace ?

Have you've seen the price of natural gas?

Best bet is going back to wood burning.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hess station in Palm Harbor, FL. IIRC it peaked at $4.09 and it was $3.74 this morning so down about 9%.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
Austin/Round Rock, TX area:

Usual fill up place reached a high of $3.97 and is currently at $3.74 so ~ 6% for me.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

Oh please

I am attempting to provide an explanation on the price differentials in aras - not justify why they are high.

Do you have another explanation to account for the differential of the same brand in the same area?

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Originally posted by: charrison
Hit a high of 3.99 where I typically fill up. Today it was 3.69 and still falling. That makes about a 9% drop in the last few weeks. The low in town is currently 3.53.

prices are dropping faster than they went up
Cool chart, shows I've about a $.20 drop still yet to kick in for Rochester, NY.

Rochester? :confused:

A little far from Alabama :p

jackace

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2004
It sucks but gasoline has only gone down 1-2 cents in my area. The local news is even going WTF and asking questions. Now that the news is involved I bet things will start to change.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

That's fixed.

Fixed in each state.

Oh please

Dave enough is enough. You were offered a completely reasonable analysis as to how things work. At no point was anyone apologizing for anything. Get some psych help stat.