Poll of Afghanis

Sep 12, 2004
http://www.theglobeandmail.com.../TPInternational/Asia/

OTTAWA -- A strong majority of Afghans approve of the presence of NATO-led troops in their country, including from Canada, and want the foreign soldiers to remain to fight the Taliban and support reconstruction efforts.

In a poll of Afghans conducted by Environics Research on behalf of The Globe and Mail, the CBC and La Presse, respondents expressed optimism about the future, strong support for the government of President Hamid Karzai and appreciation for the work being done by NATO countries in improving security.

In Kandahar, where the Taliban is stronger and violence more pervasive, support for the foreign troops was weaker, but respondents still want the soldiers to stay.

Interesting. Despite claims to the contrary it seems we are welcome in Afghanistan by quite a few. Many Afghanis say they are better off and see a better future ahead as well.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i wonder how you scientifically poll people who don't have telephones?

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken

OTTAWA -- A strong majority of Afghans approve of the presence of NATO-led troops in their country, including from Canada, and want the foreign soldiers to remain to fight the Taliban and support reconstruction efforts.

In a poll of Afghans conducted by Environics Research on behalf of The Globe and Mail, the CBC and La Presse, respondents expressed optimism about the future, strong support for the government of President Hamid Karzai and appreciation for the work being done by NATO countries in improving security.

In Kandahar, where the Taliban is stronger and violence more pervasive, support for the foreign troops was weaker, but respondents still want the soldiers to stay.

Interesting. Despite claims to the contrary it seems we are welcome in Afghanistan by quite a few. Many Afghanis say they are better off and see a better future ahead as well.

What claims? That's news to me. :confused:

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
It would have been much better if only the TRAITOR IN CHIEF and his criminal cabal had finished the right job in Afghanistan in the first place, instead of screwing the pooch by pulling the majority of our forces out and tossing them into his catastrophic war of LIES in Iraq.

As it is, Al Qaeda and the Taliban have regained much if not all of their former strength, opium production is up, terrorist attacks are up, the security of government we tried to help is questionable and American forces are in much greater danger.

Yer doin' a heck of a job, Bushie. :roll:

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Tab

Iraq, Afghanistan, Iran, WoT, what's the difference? ;)

Sep 12, 2004

So then you believe that not all Muslims want the US out of Muslim lands?

Glad you agree.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
The American people may be out to lunch and elected am imbecile to lead them but we still have a great basic system of government and lots of decent people. Why wouldn't they not want us to say.

Jun 26, 2007

Glad you agree.

Well, you could say that or you could just say that the war against the Taliban and Al Quaida was a just war that has produced pretty significant results while the Iraq war is and always have been a waste of resources and money to fulfill the dream of a society which would be happy to be the base of the ME strike forces.

It was a stupid idea from the beginning and had absolutely nothing to do with WMD's or terrorist connections at all. In a democracy, when your leadership lies to you to get you into a war, there should be a rule of thumb that immediately requires them not only to step down but also to be presented with the choice of a rope or a gun.

You may think i'm talking about GW but i'm talking about Blair, he didn't even fool anyone though and the war never had popular support in the UK.

Sep 12, 2004
Originally posted by: JohnOfSheffield

Glad you agree.

Well, you could say that or you could just say that the war against the Taliban and Al Quaida was a just war that has produced pretty significant results while the Iraq war is and always have been a waste of resources and money to fulfill the dream of a society which would be happy to be the base of the ME strike forces.

It was a stupid idea from the beginning and had absolutely nothing to do with WMD's or terrorist connections at all. In a democracy, when your leadership lies to you to get you into a war, there should be a rule of thumb that immediately requires them not only to step down but also to be presented with the choice of a rope or a gun.

You may think i'm talking about GW but i'm talking about Blair, he didn't even fool anyone though and the war never had popular support in the UK.
Err, great. Thsi thread is not about Iraq though.

In regards to Afghanistan, a thread not long ago in here called it "the unfinished war"

Considering that thread and this one:

http://forums.anandtech.com/me..._key=y&keyword1=afghan

and this one:

http://forums.anandtech.com/me...&keyword1=afghanistan+

You wouldn't think that some people had the impression that there were any significant results in Afghanistan.

But I'm well aware of the pessimism that pervades this place.

Jun 26, 2007

Glad you agree.

In regards to Afghanistan, a thread not long ago in here called it "the unfinished war"

and this one:

You wouldn't think that some people had the impression that there were any significant results in Afghanistan.

I have no fucking idea what you're rambling on about now, it was YOU that brought up "Muslim lands" instead of keeping it about Afghanistan and then you're trying to tell me what the thread is about? It was so fucking obvious that you were talking about Iraq as part of the "Muslim lands", well either that or you are so daft that you don't even get what you're implying yourself.

I'm not some people little buddy, i'm in Kabul and i'm saying that if this progress is going to remain there needs to be more official support for it and more boots on the ground, more diplomacy and if need be threats towards Pakistan and there NEEDS to be a focus on the real threat that is Pakistan.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

I guess it's quite a shame that we cut and ran head-first into Iraq before finishing the job then.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Strange. I haven't heard very many people at all complain about our military operations in Afghanistan. The only complaints I've heard have been that we half-assed it because Bush was so excited to attack Iraq next, but that's a complaint of too little involvement, not too much. TLC are you looking for some sort of argument where almost none exists? Iraq is the disaster here, not Afghanistan... yet.

Sep 12, 2004
Originally posted by: loki8481

I guess it's quite a shame that we cut and ran head-first into Iraq before finishing the job then.
Because it's impossible to do two things at once?

I've never understood the claim that we somehow had to completely finish up in Afghanistan before anything else could happen. Who decided that was the case?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Eskimospy has it right- the diversion of resources from Afghanistan has created a lot of problems there, problems that could have been avoided. Given the proper resources, the Afghan situation would basically be resolved by now, the need for foreign troops almost non-existent...

I'm beginning to believe that the Bushistas don't intend to solve problems, anyway, but rather to maintain them, given that they need foreign enemies to enable their domestic policies... a variant on the perpetual war scenario...

Sep 12, 2004

Glad you agree.

and this one:

I have no fucking idea what you're rambling on about now, it was YOU that brought up "Muslim lands" instead of keeping it about Afghanistan and then you're trying to tell me what the thread is about? It was so fucking obvious that you were talking about Iraq as part of the "Muslim lands", well either that or you are so daft that you don't even get what you're implying yourself.

I'm not some people little buddy, i'm in Kabul and i'm saying that if this progress is going to remain there needs to be more official support for it and more boots on the ground, more diplomacy and if need be threats towards Pakistan and there NEEDS to be a focus on the real threat that is Pakistan.
It's my fucking thread, pal. It's whatever I want it to be about. Start your own if you want a thread about Iraq.

Jun 26, 2007

Glad you agree.

and this one:

It's my fucking thread, pal. It's whatever I want it to be about. Start your own if you want a thread about Iraq.

It was your fucking comment, you said "muslim lands" if you mean to say that ALL muslim lands are in Afghanistan then YEAH your comment was about Afghanistan, you fucking well know that it fucking wasn't so don't try to play daft.

Oh wait, you're not playing, are you? Sorry about that, let me try to explain it to you then, "Muslim lands" is NOT Afghanistan exclusive and most people know what you were trying to do by implying that not all Muslims wants US out of all "Muslim lands", there is no real argument about Afghanistan so you try to create one just like your hero GW by not treating Afghanistan as the war it is but to include other countries (or lands) with it.

When called on it you cry and whine about this being your thread?

Just when i thought you couldn't be more pathetic, you prove me wrong.

Sep 12, 2004

Glad you agree.

and this one:

It was your fucking comment, you said "muslim lands" if you mean to say that ALL muslim lands are in Afghanistan then YEAH your comment was about Afghanistan, you fucking well know that it fucking wasn't so don't try to play daft.

Oh wait, you're not playing, are you? Sorry about that, let me try to explain it to you then, "Muslim lands" is NOT Afghanistan exclusive and most people know what you were trying to do by implying that not all Muslims wants US out of all "Muslim lands", there is no real argument about Afghanistan so you try to create one just like your hero GW by not treating Afghanistan as the war it is but to include other countries (or lands) with it.

When called on it you cry and whine about this being your thread?

Just when i thought you couldn't be more pathetic, you prove me wrong.
Called me out on it? Are you delusional or something? Muslim lands comprise a whole hell of a lot more than Iraq. Besides that, my comment about Muslim lands was specific to Afghanistan in this case.

If you want to bitch about your little pet peeve, start your own thread on the subject.

Jun 26, 2007

Called me out on it? Are you delusional or something? Muslim lands comprise a whole hell of a lot more than Iraq. Besides that, my comment about Muslim lands was specific to Afghanistan in this case.

If you want to bitch about your little pet peeve, start your own thread on the subject.

If you can honestly say that by "not all Muslims want the US out of all Muslim lands" you were really talking about Afghanistan then you can honestly lie to yourself and believe it.

I don't believe it, i don't think anyone but you believes it either.

I think you were frustrated by the lack of resistance because unlike yourself others do not think the war on the Talibans is the same as the war on Iraq and while they do not oppose the war on the Talibans they do oppose the war on Iraq.

So either you are a dishonest piece of shit or i'm wrong.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Some of us have been aware of that fact for a very long time.

Jun 26, 2007
Originally posted by: palehorse74
Some of us have been aware of that fact for a very long time.

Heh, yeah, first time in most of their lives they actually have a chance of living without oppression and the constant fear of death for not abiding by the narcissistic rules made by the inhumane pieces of shits that calls themselves messengers of god.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Harvey
As it is, Al Qaeda and the Taliban have regained much, if not all, of their former strength, opium production is up, terrorist attacks are up, the security of government we tried to help is questionable and American forces are in much greater danger.
That's an absolutely ridiculous statement.

There are 34 Provnices in Afghanistan, each with between 5-29 smaller districts.

Kandahar Province has 16 districts.

Helmand Province has 13 districts.

etc.

The Taliban does not control a single province in Afghanistan.

Their only footholds are within spitting distance of Pakistan, and various scattered districts throughout the Kandahar and Helmand provinces - again, mostly near the border with Pakistan.

At one point in 2006, the Taliban forces made some significant inroads near Kandahar, but we have beat them back substantially during the last 12 months.

You know absolutely nothing about the situation on the ground in Afghanistan.

Jun 26, 2007
Originally posted by: palehorse74
Originally posted by: Harvey
As it is, Al Qaeda and the Taliban have regained much, if not all, of their former strength, opium production is up, terrorist attacks are up, the security of government we tried to help is questionable and American forces are in much greater danger.
That's an absolutely ridiculous statement.

There are 34 Provnices in Afghanistan, each with between 5-29 smaller districts.

Kandahar Province has 16 districts.

Helmand Province has 13 districts.

etc.

The Taliban does not control a single province in Afghanistan.

Their only footholds are within spitting distance of Pakistan, and various scattered districts throughout the Kandahar and Helmand provinces - again, mostly near the border with Pakistan.

At one point in 2006, the Taliban forces made some significant inroads near Kandahar, but we have beat them back substantially during the last 12 months.

You know absolutely nothing about the situation on the ground in Afghanistan.

Yup, which is why there is so much unrest inside Pakistan, we didn't really manage to beat them even though we did get a good number, most moved into other areas beyond our reach, they are waiting and it's fairly daily news that the Talibans are taking control over smaller villages in Pakistan, democracy in all honor but when the population votes because they are afraid, it's not democracy. (note that i am not in any way disagreeing with your assessment and facts, you're completely right)

Muscharaff knows this and have therefore tried to regain popular support by bringing in Bhutto, but she has very little support and is facing charges in Switzerland so that shit won't help much at all, we need a joint force to do this or we'll have a nation ruled by extremists who really don't care about their population, themselves or anyone else as long as they get to kill us and it will happen faster than Iran even can assemble their first batch of enriched uranium.

I hate getting involved in the politics, i'm no good at it and i admit that, but these are facts and facts are facts regardless of what their implications may be.

Sep 12, 2004

If you can honestly say that by "not all Muslims want the US out of all Muslim lands" you were really talking about Afghanistan then you can honestly lie to yourself and believe it.

I think you were frustrated by the lack of resistance because unlike yourself others do not think the war on the Talibans is the same as the war on Iraq and while they do not oppose the war on the Talibans they do oppose the war on Iraq.

You're wrong, as usual. But I don't imagine that will stop you.

Please continue. You're very amusing.

Jun 26, 2007

You're wrong, as usual. But I don't imagine that will stop you.

Please continue. You're very amusing.

Actually, i think i'll just ignore you from here on, you're seriously claiming that going from Afghanis which is what you wrote before to "all Muslim lands" is the same thing?

Yeah, i guess you'd have to be lying to yourself to excuse the lies you take as truth.

Pretty pathetic but.. i'd expect nothing more from you anyway so.