Play Oblivion or Fallout 3?

• Oblivion

• Fallout 3

• Consoles suck!

Results are only viewable after voting.

mazeroth

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2006
Which do you feel is the better game of the two? I played through Oblivion a few years ago with OOO mod and can't wait for Skyrim. I want to play through Oblivion again before Skyrim comes out but my brother swears to me that Fallout 3 is the best game he's ever played and I need to play it. My work/home schedule is insane and I'm lucky to get in 3-4 hours of gaming time per week so I need to make it worthwhile. Which would you choose to play, and why? I just feel a refresh with Oblivion would be nice before I get Skyrim.

Thanks in advance.

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
This is a really tough choice... I'd go with Fallout though as I prefer sci-fi to fantasy.

I had a blast playing both! If you played Oblivion already (even if years ago), I'd say go with Fallout 3 GOTY.

terry107

Dec 8, 2005
If you're going to go with Fallout, I would go with New Vegas over Fallout 3.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Fallout 3. Lots of improvements to the game system, like easier buying and selling. Magic is too wonky. Starts off weak but gets seriously overpowered quickly. Most of the stuff in Oblivion is just copy paste, like all the caves, Oblivion gates, ruins, and such.
Granted, Fallout 3 had some repetition with the Metro tunnels, but it wasnt nearly as bad. New Vegas cured that issue buy simply not having them.

Of course, Oblivion had more and better factions especially the Dark Brotherhood. And you could repair anything up to 100% anytime with hammers, which may or may not be realistic but it simplified the game a lot.

finglobes

Dec 13, 2010
You already played Oblivion so might as well take a dose of dystopia before Skyrim. Being Bethesda games, both have menus/tabs out the wazoo ( a reason I like Valve games the most) so you'll be in Skyrim shape either way.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
You already played Oblivion so might as well take a dose of dystopia before Skyrim. Being Bethesda games, both have menus/tabs out the wazoo ( a reason I like Valve games the most) so you'll be in shape.

What role playing games has Valve made lately?

Aug 11, 2008
Personally, I would prefer Oblivion. Played through it twice. I didnt like the levelling system, but liked the factions, especially the Dark Brotherhood, as someone already mentioned.

I bought Fallout 3 and was really excited to play it. However, I could never really get into the game, and I thought it was brutally hard--weak guns and never enough ammo. Must have not distrubuted my points right or something. I finally quit when I lost a couple of saves and had to replay that level where you go back to 50s suburbia. I hated that level.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Personally, I would prefer Oblivion. Played through it twice. I didnt like the levelling system, but liked the factions, especially the Dark Brotherhood, as someone already mentioned.

I bought Fallout 3 and was really excited to play it. However, I could never really get into the game, and I thought it was brutally hard--weak guns and never enough ammo. Must have not distrubuted my points right or something. I finally quit when I lost a couple of saves and had to replay that level where you go back to 50s suburbia. I hated that level.

Read the official Fallout Wikia to learn the shortcut for the computer simulation. Also, it really does help to pick the right skills. Take a max INT to get extra skill points each level, the feat that gives bonus skill points, and every level put 17 into Small Guns. You will kill enemies much faster. Take the Scavenger perk right when it comes up and you get plenty of extra ammo all over the place.
Also, knowing which easy areas to hit up first helps stock up your character with goodies for use on difficult missions later.

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
Fallout 3. Lots of improvements to the game system, like easier buying and selling. Magic is too wonky. Starts off weak but gets seriously overpowered quickly. Most of the stuff in Oblivion is just copy paste, like all the caves, Oblivion gates, ruins, and such.
Granted, Fallout 3 had some repetition with the Metro tunnels, but it wasnt nearly as bad. New Vegas cured that issue buy simply not having them.

Of course, Oblivion had more and better factions especially the Dark Brotherhood. And you could repair anything up to 100% anytime with hammers, which may or may not be realistic but it simplified the game a lot.

I actually found it was the opposite. I'm not very good when it comes to playing as a mage in any game, but I found that in the beginning of the game my fireballs,etc. were really strong, but later in the game I had to keep hitting all the enemies with a weakness to fire spell first to do any real damage.

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
I prefer New Vegas as well. Not so much because of the story or the map, but because of the shooting mechanics. They are a lot better in NV. I like the iron sights, and how my gun pretty much shoots where I'm pointing, but just does more damage at higher levels. In FO3, the gun would just shoot in some random direction unless you were using VATS.

Arglebargle

Dec 2, 2006
Agree with the New Vegas line, if you can.

I liked Fallout 3 better than I thought I would, but that's probably because of low expectations after a great distaste for Oblivion.

New Vegas seemed better from the times I had a chance to play on it.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I liked both. but will vote for oblivion since its actually easier to see shit. i have a hard time seeing mobs or such in fallout 3.

boht are bug filled glithcy games though. but both also have a great setting, story and fun to play.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
I dont think its a valid comparison. Yes they are both very similar from a gameplay standpoint but one is set in a fantasy timeline and the other a post apocalyptic setting. Hard to do a line by line comparison.

Having said that, you owe it to yourself to give FO3/New Vegas a try. Its very, very good. I prefer New Vegas myself. FO3 just had too many little glitches. I wouldnt point someone away from FO3 at all BUT of the 2 (Fallout 3 and New Vages) I would strongly encourage one to take NV over FO3. NV is just a more polished FO3.

THis is coming from a guy who owns Oblivion, Morrowind, Fallout 3 GOTY and Fallout New Vegas.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
Read the official Fallout Wikia to learn the shortcut for the computer simulation. Also, it really does help to pick the right skills. Take a max INT to get extra skill points each level, the feat that gives bonus skill points, and every level put 17 into Small Guns. You will kill enemies much faster. Take the Scavenger perk right when it comes up and you get plenty of extra ammo all over the place.
Also, knowing which easy areas to hit up first helps stock up your character with goodies for use on difficult missions later.

I never found maxing like this to be necessary in Fallout 3. Although I can see it being of some help, it was far from essential.

You do need to focus your character. That is true. But that only means picking a direction (almost any one) and sticking to it. I.e. if you want small guns, don't go crazy trying to max both small guns AND big guns. Beyond that, I found the most massively useful skill was repair. Once you got that, you could keep your items in good repair and sell the stuff you didn't use at higher prices (due to the higher state of repair). But even that wasn't "Necessary".

Oh, btw, I say Fallout 3. What puts the difference in for me was that it was slightly more focused. You could still wander far off the main quest, but there was a general sense of purpose rather than wandering aimlessly through dungeons ad nausium until you found the next thread.

And if you find it too tough, you are probably in the wrong area. Go back and try other areas till you find the easier one.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I actually found it was the opposite. I'm not very good when it comes to playing as a mage in any game, but I found that in the beginning of the game my fireballs,etc. were really strong, but later in the game I had to keep hitting all the enemies with a weakness to fire spell first to do any real damage.

You need to build your own spells. Combine effects. Draining fatigue and endurance at the same time can often force enemies to the ground. Doing fire, ice and shock damage in one spell can insure you dont need to swap out constantly to deal with all enemies.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Pretty sure you could pick up Oblivion and Fallout 3 both for pretty cheap without too much trouble. But, I think Fallout is the better game of the two.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Both good games. I like Oblivion better just because being able to hunt deer in a vibrant forest with a bow is so fun.

And although I played Fallout 3 all the way through, I never really felt into it like I did with the first 2. It just didn't quite measure up for me.

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
All IMO:

Oblivion has a much brighter and more lively world. Fallout 3 has a darker, bleaker world. Fallout 3 has far superior combat mechanics, a superior leveling system, and a wider arrange of weapons. Oblivion has better art style, better dungeons (repetitive or not), and better side quests.

I personally prefer Oblivion, though Fallout 3 / New Vegas are better in the long run if no mods are involved.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Definitely Fallout 3, much better than Oblivion, but Oblivion was good anyhow.

xXFaNtAsMaXx

Nov 26, 2004
All IMO:

Oblivion has a much brighter and more lively world. Fallout 3 has a darker, bleaker world. Fallout 3 has far superior combat mechanics, a superior leveling system, and a wider arrange of weapons. Oblivion has better art style, better dungeons (repetitive or not), and better side quests.

I personally prefer Oblivion, though Fallout 3 / New Vegas are better in the long run if no mods are involved.
What did you expect a post-apocalyptic world to look like?

I like them both just about equally. The world, questing, and factions in oblivion were awesome. The same can be said for Fallout 3, minus the factions. They did, however, sort of bring factions into New Vegas.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
Another vote for New Vegas, I liked oblivion and Fallout 3 but the story, factions and expansions for new Vegas were so much better.
It helped tons that a good chunk of the story was lifted from what was originally going to be Fallout 3.