POLL: Now that the hoopla about gay marriage is dead (thankfully), do you think it will ever be an issue again?

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Yup. My parents church just had a meeting last week about it because the pastor was going to marry two guys, and half the congregation left. :p

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: UglyCassanova
Yup. My parents church just had a meeting last week about it because the pastor was going to marry two guys, and half the congregation left. :p

Where'd they go?

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

:laugh:

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
And in response to the OP, of course it will be an issue again. While gay marriage will be an easy victory amongst liberal northeastern states, it will be a much harder sell in the heartland, where the people and the judges are far more conservative.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Nebor

Where'd they go?

I dunno, other churches.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

Where'd they go?

I dunno, other churches.

What denomination church do your parents attend?

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
And in response to the OP, of course it will be an issue again. While gay marriage will be an easy victory amongst liberal northeastern states, it will be a much harder sell in the heartland, where the people and the judges are far more conservative.

Thats not really the point I belive. Its not a "state by state" thing. Under the full faith and credit clause of the constitution if it became legal in one state (MA) then technically its legal everywhere. Thats what all the hoopla was about.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001

Where'd they go?

I dunno, other churches.

Lutheran

fredtam

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003

Where'd they go?

I dunno, other churches.

The right one.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: FelixDeKat

Thats not really the point I belive. Its not a "state by state" thing. Under the full faith and credit clause of the constitution if it became legal in one state (MA) then technically its legal everywhere. Thats what all the hoopla was about.

... You think so, huh? Because I'm pretty sure I can't marry this passed out moron on my bed here in Texas. Not that I'd want to.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

... You think so, huh? Because I'm pretty sure I can't marry this passed out moron on my bed here in Texas. Not that I'd want to.

No, you go to MA, then come back to Texas.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Ameesh
:confused:

i think neo-facists like yourself will make it an issue again.

Yeah. The first personal attack. :roll:

You're a neo-facist? Ugh.

His words, not mine. Kind of like if I said hes "neo-communist". But thats not was this thread is about - personal attacks.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Of course it will. IMO, we are moving to the point of it being something that will be just as common as "normal" marriage is now. As time goes on and more and more realize people are people, gay or not, then everyone will have the same rights to marry someone they love and want to spend their life with. The majority of resistance to this is based in religion anyhow.

Edit:

And this belongs in P&N, and you know it.

:)

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Insane3D
Of course it will. IMO, we are moving to the point of it being something that will be just as common as "normal" marriage in now. As time goes on and realize people are people, gay or not, then everyone will have the same rights to marry someone they love and want to spend their life with. The majority of resistance to this is based in religion anyhow.

Well again, thats only partially the problem. Its not necesarily an acceptance thing.

You will have different types of people marrying for sexual and non sexual reasons. You will have sons marrying mothers (non sexual) for legal purposes, grandmothers and granddaughters (non sexual) for inheritance purposes, etc.

Thats whats wrong with perverting marriage laws, IMO.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
How do you go from gay people getting married to sons marrying mothers?

When the legal definition of marriage is liberalized to include the same sex, that will open the flood gates to marriage for legal purposes only (non sexual).

The arguement will be, "If its legal for opposite sex, same sex, how about no sex?"

and

"Then why the hell is polygmy still illegal?"

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000

When the legal definition of marriage is liberalized to include the same sex, that will open the flood gates to marriage for legal purposes only (non sexual).

The arguement will be, "If its legal for opposite sex, same sex, how about no sex?"

and

just dont see that happening

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

and

... you think gay people will get married for legal purposes only? And that straight people can't get married for legal purposes only?

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Turin39789

and

just dont see that happening

There will be no legal way to stop it.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
I will say that no one in the congregation was against gay couples having the same legal rights as married couples. The problem arose when the pastor was going to give it the churches blessing, saying that it was right. That is why so many people left the church, not because they were homophobes (and I'm sure they were :p). I found it all to be amusing, and picked on my parents because all of the "church drama". I live in Louisiana, and it is a small church filled with a bunch of rednecks. I was just shocked when I heard them all agree that gays should have the same rights though, because alot of these people really are trailer trash.