Poll: Need help with statistics project!

dowxp

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2000
For some reason, my stat teacher has a project due on the last day of school, tomorrow, so can you help me out?

basically, the schools math department is bidding for a grant to buy some ti calc stuff, including that infrared and laser stuff. anyhoo, the department surveyed the alg 1 class on questions on whether or not they used calcs at home or whether or not it helped them.

my assignment was to make up a question to better help the school in their quest for the grant. i really dont care since im a senior, but heres my question:

"do calculators actually improve the grades of students who use them?"

theres a poll, obviously associated with this, i cannot list all the possible answers, i'll email her the link and cite this as research, so feel free to respond to this thread.

feel free to state your personal experience with calculators. please make the comments on how well they helped you learn rather than, how much fun you had playing mario brothers on a TI86 during Cal AP.

also, should the school buy BETTER calculators (as this is the case, we just got some 89's) in prospect of higher grades? (learning and understanding = higher grades). of course, im talking about test grades, as one may understand a concept, but choose not to do the homework out of the lulling of counterstrike. =)

Thanks alot!

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Depends on whether the students use them as a crutch or a tool. If they know the underlying math then it's ok, if they don't and only know how to punch buttons they are a lightbulb waiting to be screwed.

dowxp

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2000
thats a good point. im my personal experience, i sometimes have no idea how the calculator gets say, the standard deviation. i just press the stat button and it gives it to me. so perhaps the test grades may be "PUSHED" due to reliance on the calculator?

jmcoreymv

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well there isnt really a definite answer. I know in my old stats class, all the smart people of the class knew how to do all the underlying math and understood the concepts, so the calculator just sped things up. Whereas the rest of the students only remembered 'If the problem asks this, this, and this, i use this test'. So it kind of depends on the individual.

dowxp

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2000
yes, i think so. but the school doesnt care about the individual, but only the money

--------
ok guys, i dont care anymore. i need people to answeer the poll. my project is due tomorrow. just.. give me data! okok? i'll throw in a rating of 10. sigh