poll: music CDs are ripoffs compared to movie/music DVDs

alphatarget1

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
don't get me wrong... i have my share of CDs.

average price of a CD is like, 13 dollars. a DVD with all the special feature goodies can be found for around 15 dollars. everything a DVD has to offer is far superior to a CD. hell, a music DVD can be found for around 20 dollars... much better sound quality

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001
Yes - plus consider the cost of producing the average movie vs. the average album. Of course, movies get a theater run in most cases, but bands get tours, so they're kinda even.

bdjohnson

Oct 29, 2003
although I have more CD's than movies I think that DVD's are a much better deal since you can find them for about $10. I can't say I really buy either one much though.

Emrys

Golden Member
Jul 5, 2002
I'd like to have more cds than I have, but I really slowed on buying them when the prices went up from ~10 for the avg cd to ~13.
So yea, I'm more on the DVD side of this one.

Zugzwang152

Lifer
Oct 30, 2001
but also remember the audience for any particular band is much much less than the average audience for a typical hollywood movie. smaller audience = less money.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
where the fsck are you finding DVDs worth getting for $10? even deep discount dvds seems to be selling DVDs worth watching for $17 to $20.

i find the replay value of a CD to be a lot higher than a DVD. DVD you have to have a couple hours to kill, you basically can't do anything else, etc. CD i can listen to 5 minutes at a time, in random order, doing whatever the hell else i want. working, studying, driving, jogging, neffing, gaming, you name it.

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
i dont watch movies more than once
i can listen to a CD over and over again

music vs music... CDs much more transportable/compatible than is DVD

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
Originally posted by: BillGates
Yes - plus consider the cost of producing the average movie vs. the average album. Of course, movies get a theater run in most cases, but bands get tours, so they're kinda even.

tour money doesn't repay recording costs. the industry doesn't work that way.