Poll: Kirk vs. Picard (Updated with more pollage!)

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TXHokie

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 1999
I'm looking at my beer and thinking...Kirk would be way funner to party with.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: BladeVenom
Originally posted by: Shortcut
Originally posted by: BladeVenom
Archer, he did it all with an inferior ship.

Bah, Archer needed the constant emotional support of his fluffy beagle. Neither Kirk nor Picard would EVER project that sort of weakness.

Having a dog has always been a sign of leadership. You have to be the leader to train them.

Kirk, the need to seduce every female he comes across is a weakness, and a strong sign of some serious psychological issues.

Picard, could hardly make a decision on his own. How many times did he have to see his psychologist, Troi, before he could muster enough leadership to make a decision.

Archer and Sisko were the best leaders.
Picard had a fish. A lionfish. A fish with venom in its spines. Porthos got scared if Archer sneezed.

Sisko was pretty cool though. And the Defiant was just awesome.:D It was the first ship in the series that could actually maneuver, not just lumber around.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
LOL @new generation. I knew it was going to flop (not the math thing) when there's a guy wearing what looks like part of a solberg air filter for glasses! :laugh:

CorCentral

Banned
Feb 11, 2001
Who was Sisko's #2?
Poncho? ........ Both Illegal, and flying our spaceships!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know most of you won't get it, but for the one's that do :beer: 's to you!

EDIT--- I forgot to add.......... Picard first, followed by Kirk and then Archer.

phoenix79

Golden Member
Jan 17, 2000
Sisko had the balls to punch an omniscient all-powerful being in the face.
Sisko>Picard>Kirk

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: phoenix79
Sisko>Picard>Kirk
Janeway had the ovaries to consider having sex with Q in order to save the Continuum.

Originally posted by: Rubycon
LOL @new generation. I knew it was going to flop (not the math thing) when there's a guy wearing what looks like part of a solberg air filter for glasses! :laugh:
It lasted longer than the original series. :p
And those "glasses" let him see more of the EM spectrum (and particle emissions, such as neutrinos) than anyone else on the ship.

mooglemania85

Diamond Member
May 3, 2007
Kirk! Without the originals and the first movies, there never would have been TNG.

1. When did Picard ever have the balls to go topless?

2. If you're at a kegger with Kirk, you know that there's always a chance of either playing wingman, getting some sloppy seconds, or maybe even slipping in the back for a menage a trois when the alien chick isn't looking. Picard would never be seen dead at a kegger, unless maybe it was at an all-girl college and Earl Grey tea, crumpets, and a discussion on the literary contributions of Charlotte Bronte was on the agenda.

3. Besides, Kirk will go to the edge of the universe (okay, just Vulcan) to get u laid. Spock.....needs to get laid.....every....7.....YEARS! Mr.....Sulu......lay in a course to Vulcan.....immediately!

AnthroAndStargate

Golden Member
Oct 7, 2005
How can you add Picard again to the 2nd one and how can people actually vote for him without laughing?

Anytime Picard speaks its hard not to laugh because he's always quoting some Shakespearian verse that has no relevance on the situation at hand. His ship was also like a tug boat compared to Sisko's defiant. Sisko actually dealt with real world socio-political and military situations - he didn't sip Earl Gray tea and read the collected works of Kant all day. He was busy manuvering the Defiant through a BLACK HOLE into enemy space.

Picard is cool don't get me wrong - but I can't believe people put him above Sisko. The same with Kirk, hes cool but his character was "over-ACTED wayyy to *emphais* much" (parody of Kirk). I think this shows the influence of Trekkies versus Star Trek fans.

I am a fan of DS9 because it is as much a moral/ethical play as it is a good peice of Sci-Fi. It brings up issues that were as relevant in the 80s (or Stardate blah blah blah) as they are today. For example the episode where the military guy in the federation was going to turn Earth into a police state because of the Changeling threat - and Sisko made the impassioned speech about "Destroying paradise in order to save it". No matter what your politics are you can enjoy DS9 becuase it presents issues in a well rounded manner - and they are always relevant. There is no black and white like there is in the prose laden world of Picard, there is only gray. Most Trekkies would just roll their eyes at all this or ignore it because it wasn't written in Klingon. They like Star Trek for Star Trek and Kirk or Picard because those are the "big two" who you are supposed to like.

I am not saying this is bad - this is just my opinion.

/rant.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Anthro, of course you are right about Sisko being an amazing leader and the best captain, but you are way too hard on Picard. TNG had plenty of ethical dilemmas, even if they were not so intensly relevant as DS9's. Before TNG, no show even tackled questions like "what makes a person human?" or even acknowledged consciousness as a defining attribute. DS9 was made in the 90s. It's TNG that began in the 80s.

mooglemania85

Diamond Member
May 3, 2007
Originally posted by: Electric Amish
Kirk. No doubt.

JLP is a pussy. :p

Janeway has more balls.

:shocked: I always wondered whether there was some hanky panky going on between Janeway and Seven of Nine...

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
Sisko>Picard>Kirk

If the being is omniscient, then it knew what would happen and let her do it?

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: everman
Sisko>Picard>Kirk

If the being is omniscient, then it knew what would happen and let her do it?

Sisko is a man...

:confused:

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
Even though I didn't like DSN much, I voted for sisko because he was the perfect mix of kirk's badassitude and picard's gentlemanly ways and good leadership.

All of these guys lose to the two B5 guys.