Poll: Kirk vs. Picard (Updated with more pollage!)

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: ArmchairAthlete
Picard wins with the Picard Song and the YTMND fad.

THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS
(Four lights - a scene which the Star Trek writers lifted almost straight out of 1984.)

Caecus Veritas

Mar 20, 2006
i can not believe picard is winning the pole! i mean, it's kirk!! THE kirk! people that are voting, have you SEEN TOS?

btw, this is how battles run out:

TOS:
Sulu: Captain, there's a warbird approaching with it's weapon's locked in on us.
Kirk: Raise shields! Spock, are we in firing range yet?!
Spock: Yes Captain, we are.
Kirk: Fire, fire... fire the torpedos! Mr. Sulu, fire at will!
Sulu: Captain, enemy shield's are holding.
Kirk: Scotty, I NEEED more power! Scotty, I need it NOW!
Scotty: Aye Capt'n, I'll see what i can do~
Kirk: Mr. Sulu. Fire!
Sulu: Captain, enemy ship disabled.
Smug Kirk: Well done, Mr. Sulu! Open the hailing frequency.

TNG:
Data: Captain, there appears to be a ship fast approaching with it's weapons charged.
Picard: Data, can you get any readings on the ship? On view... *BOOOM* *BOOOM*
Worf: Captain, direct hits to deck.... 15, 16... *BOOM* and 18...
Riker: Shields up! Arm the phasers! *BOOOM*
Worf: Grrrr! Sir, our shields are inoperative!
Picard: Mr. Worf, return fire!
Worf: Captain, mini.. *BBBBOOOOOOM* ... minimal damage to enemy shields *BOOM*
Jordi: Captain, we're losing our ani-matter containment field!
Picard: Counselor Troi, can you sense anything from the ship? *BOOM*
Troi: Captain, i sense... pure malevolence...
Picard: Helm, can you... *BOOM*
Worf: Captain, our weapon system has been disabled! ..... they've stopped firing.
Picard: Data, hail the ship.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: Vic
The fact that Stewart is the FAR superior actor to Shatner only underscores the fact that Kirk was the better character. Call it yet another testament to Roddenberry's genius.

Originally posted by: Throckmorton
Agreed. Picard is almost as good as Sisko, but Kirk isn't even in the running. He was a terrible captain played by a bad actor in a mediocre TV series that was cancelled after a few seasons. Judging by all the Kirk responses, ATOT is a bunch of immature 15 year olds.

DIAF :|

TNG and DS9 wouldn't have even existed without TOS.

I know they wouldn't have existed without TOS, but TNG marked the beginning of the true Star Trek. TNG, DS9, Voyager, and obviously Enterprise are still as good as modern TV shows, while that can't be said about TOS. It had lofty themes and Roddenberry really was a genius, but it was cheesy. How many times can you watch Kirk fight aliens barebacked with some kind of spear?

oogabooga

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2003
I don't know why they would be fighting in the first place?

The only time they were both in the same place picard walked away so I think the choice is pretty clear...

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
This is simple.....

If you want a diplomat, bring along Picard.
If you want a warrior, Kirk's your man. (for the person above that mentioned that Kirk is dead, which obviously makes Picard the winner, remember that Kirk died SAVING Picard.......Kirk FTW in that case)

Comparing ships is just dumb, as has already been pointed out.

I wonder, in any of these polls, whether the pollers compared the answers given with the age of the people polled? Even here, I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of people that voted for Picard grew up with TNG, and have only ever seen the original Star Trek episodes in reruns. That being said, they simply don't understand that in the mid 60's, when Star Trek was on television, it was one of the most advanced shows ever put on, and that was due entirely to Gene Rodenberry's vision. If you look at it now (40 years old), or even back when the spin-offs were on tv (25-30 years old), it's no wonder that it looked so simple compared to those newer shows.

Trust me, Kirk was the man back then!

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Kirk is 100% American modernist. Kirk's Enterprise was American modernist with internationalist spray paint.

Picard is European Union, post-modernist.

Edit: Day to day, I prefer the company of post-modernists. Going into battle, I think I would rather be surrounded by modernists.

Ultralight

Jul 11, 2004
Kirk has more leadership in his pinky than Picard has in his entire person. Picard is accountant or CPA material.

KarmaPolice

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Picard Hands down

1. The voice
2. The better story lines, and thus better character development. You get to see a lot of sides of picard.
3. Picard can still kick ass....in the movie where picard and kirk meet, they both hold their own, so that gets rid of the picard is a pussy and couldn't beat kirk in a fist fight arguement.
4. YTMND song
5. Respectable
6. Far smarter than kirk.
7. ITS PICARD MAN

Shortcut

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2003
Originally posted by: BladeVenom
Archer, he did it all with an inferior ship.

Bah, Archer needed the constant emotional support of his fluffy beagle. Neither Kirk nor Picard would EVER project that sort of weakness.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
kirk, sisco (with goatee), picard, janeway.. archer who? i didn't even bother watching 'enterprise' as voyager was totally lame.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Kirk is the man. That's why you'll be seeing the adventures of young Kirk this year and not Picard....

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Originally posted by: Shortcut
Originally posted by: BladeVenom
Archer, he did it all with an inferior ship.

Bah, Archer needed the constant emotional support of his fluffy beagle. Neither Kirk nor Picard would EVER project that sort of weakness.

Having a dog has always been a sign of leadership. You have to be the leader to train them.

Kirk, the need to seduce every female he comes across is a weakness, and a strong sign of some serious psychological issues.

Picard, could hardly make a decision on his own. How many times did he have to see his psychologist, Troi, before he could muster enough leadership to make a decision.

Archer and Sisko were the best leaders.