Poll: Kirk vs. Picard (Updated with more pollage!)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: AnthroAndStargate
Seriously, add Sisko. He wasn't a coward who galvanted around in Lycra Spandex trying to seduce Aliens that couldnt pass for Las Vegas cocktail lounge cougars.

He actually dealt with real life socio-political, religious, and military issues. He fought wars on multiple fronts, held relationships, AND was a good father? If Picard or Kirk had a kid like Sisco that kid would have grown up to be an avant garde artist or worse.

If we really wanted to fix America we would make Sisko come back through a temporal anamoly and clean up the Earth.

Agreed. Picard is almost as good as Sisko, but Kirk isn't even in the running. He was a terrible captain played by a bad actor in a mediocre TV series that was cancelled after a few seasons. Judging by all the Kirk responses, ATOT is a bunch of immature 15 year olds.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: SpunkyJones
A kick ass womanizing cowboy vs the by the book executive type? I'll take Kirk.

Executive type? He's a captain in the military-civilian defense/exploration instrument of the Federation. That's like saying that General Patton was a middle management type.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Picard is a pussy and on his best day would be no better than Kirk's bald-headed bitch.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Originally posted by: irishScott
Originally posted by: ironwing
Who the heck is Sisko? Whoever he is, Adam Quark could probably kick his ass too.

ST Deep Space 9

Ok, thnaks. I tried watching DS9 once but I must have come in during a boring scene because nothing was happening, like on SNL in the second hour when all the players are stoned.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
Originally posted by: Scooby Doo
:music:Star Trekken' across the universe....

We come in peace, shot to kill, shot to kill, shot to kill....:music:

:music:We still cant find reverse.:music:

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Picard hands down.

He's the man!

I told my wife (joking of course) last night that I wanna name our first born Picard :p

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Originally posted by: rivan
Originally posted by: Bateluer
I always thought it was a commonly known fact that Kirk was superior to Picard in all possible ways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpDhIr7i5Go

And Kirk had SUCH a way with the ladies...

That is total bullshit. Kirk was more than a century before Picard. Imagine a 19th century warship trapping a modern cruiser in a fog and then opening fire. The Cruiser would own.

besides let's see kirk survive something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...dyW2Cw&feature=related

Picard knew how to lead, and could kick ass if he had to.

Kirk just knew how to fight.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
I think we can all agree Picard is the superior commander.

Also, Kirk wouldn't even when a fist fight. He misses by a mile!

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Who the heck is Sisko? Whoever he is, Adam Quark could probably kick his ass too.

ST Deep Space 9

Ok, thnaks. I tried watching DS9 once but I must have come in during a boring scene because nothing was happening, like on SNL in the second hour when all the players are stoned.

I think you've just described every DS9 episode I ever watched before I gave up.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: Sonikku
I think we can all agree Picard is the superior commander.

Also, Kirk wouldn't even when a fist fight. He misses by a mile!

your sig needs to be removed

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
The fact that Stewart is the FAR superior actor to Shatner only underscores the fact that Kirk was the better character. Call it yet another testament to Roddenberry's genius.

Originally posted by: Throckmorton
Agreed. Picard is almost as good as Sisko, but Kirk isn't even in the running. He was a terrible captain played by a bad actor in a mediocre TV series that was cancelled after a few seasons. Judging by all the Kirk responses, ATOT is a bunch of immature 15 year olds.

DIAF :|

TNG and DS9 wouldn't have even existed without TOS.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
I always thought it was a commonly known fact that Kirk was superior to Picard in all possible ways.

That is total bullshit. Kirk was more than a century before Picard. Imagine a 19th century warship trapping a modern cruiser in a fog and then opening fire. The Cruiser would own.

What kind of moron designs a warship whose command center borders directly on the hull? You gotta BURY that thing to preserve your most vital crew. Let the redshirts get sucked into vacuum whenever there's a hull breach.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Originally posted by: jagec

What kind of moron designs a warship whose command center borders directly on the hull? You gotta BURY that thing to preserve your most vital crew. Let the redshirts get sucked into vacuum whenever there's a hull breach.

Well, the Bridge of an Aircraft Carrier is in a huge tower rising off the deck so...

Kirk's bridge was in a similar spot IIRC.

Also, the Galaxy class did have a "Battle Bridge" in the Stardrive section that was buried in the interior. Remember that they weren't expecting a battle. They assumed they could outrun Shinzon and rendezvous with a Federation Fleet.

Then again, it is kinda retarded that it wasn't used more often.

Sqube

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2004
Kirk is superior to Picard only where mackin on green chicks is concerned.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: DisgruntledVirus
Sisko>all

DS9 has the strongest story lines of all the ST universe. And the ep of DS9 "In the Pale Moonlight" is imo the best written episode in ST (and for that matter almost any Sci-Fi, except maybe BSG miniseries). According to www.startrek.com I am not the only person that believes that episode is the best in ST. http://www.startrek.com/startr...ity/reviews/index.html

Between Picard and Kirk however, Picard wins. Picard has the intelligence to not get into a brawl with Kirk, keep his distance, and blow the snot out of his ship. Picard would win in who is a better leader as well. If we had a ST boxing match between the two, Kirk would win.
That was an interesting episode, too - reflected in reality, too, the extent to which one side will go to ensure its survival.

"Computer, erase that entire personal log."

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
Picard knew how to command a ship, whereas Kirk had dominion over the green ladies. It all balances out.