Poll: Is southeast gas shortage President Biden's fault?

Is the gas shortage in the southeast US the fault of the Biden administration

• Total voters

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Showing my work.

The pipeline is a private company. Just like the Deepwater Horizon wasn't the fault of Obama.

It's been widely reported panic buying is causing the shortage.

Biden is President so going forward it is his responsibility to mitigate these kind of attacks in the future.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Ransomware is a trickier and more common problem than state sponsored misbehavior. There are fewer clear cut solutions besides better security and practices on our end.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Wonder what the orange monkeys response would have been? Oh Russian hacked our system? Oh let's have another friendly talk with great buddy Putin.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
The shortage is the peoples fault, everyone wants to be sure that they get theirs a screw everyone else.

Biden will most likely think it's Corn Pops doing.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Ransomware is a trickier and more common problem than state sponsored misbehavior. There are fewer clear cut solutions besides better security and practices on our end.
Problem solved. Just put it in the cost of doing business category, then pretend there are no bigger implications looming down the pike.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
See this shit all over Facebook. I just can't suffer these fools anymore. Society needs to bitch slap them out of their haze. Something needs to be done. This is not healthy for society.
People are stupid. Social media allows them to spread that stupid to millions of others. Everyone thinks the stupid they believe in is the right and proper stupid.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Yep. Biden obviously had nothing to do with this but our government needs to do better in protecting critical infrastructure from these attacks.
But gobberment regulation will turn us into Venezuela. Kanye West can save us though.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Well if the Repubs can't showcase their own accomplishments (like tax cuts for the wealthy and fuck you very much to everyone else) you gotta point fingers at the Dems and bitch and moan and complain about the Dems mysteriously making it rain right after the Repubs and only the Repubs wash their cars.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
perhaps we need to nationalize the pipeline since its such a critical piece of infrastructure. No? Then the CEO of the company who runs the pipeline and its board of directors should be held accountable.
Maybe an Attractive Nuisance aspect to this?

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
There is nothing tricky here. If organizations invest in proper security, training, and mitigating controls the impact can be minimized if not removed altogether. The problem is that those things require money and changes to workflows and practices. Also, employees don't like to be told to do things differently or more securely because it makes work more difficult. Organizations do and spend the bare minimum it takes to get to a risk threshold that is deemed acceptable.

I have seen this my entire career and there is no end to the list of examples:
Not performing maintenance/updates because systems can't be taken offline because they lack redundancy
Not maintaining remote/air gapped backups because it is cumbersome and costs more money to store data
Not implementing safer mail security rules because it makes it harder for employees to do their jobs
Not having the control systems separated from the corporate network because it makes it harder to run the systems
Not locking down workstations...for reasons

Whatever the actual cause of the event, it was avoidable. It was a risk that they took and they paid the price ($5M?). It is also being reported that decrypting seems to be taking significantly longer than anticipated rendering that option almost unusable. Good spend of $5M apparently. Had they spent $3M on better security practices, they could have pocketed $2M and not ended up in the news or crated the fallout of dummies hoarding gas. I fully expect them to file for corporate welfare and get a nice big helping hand from the tax payers.

As a side note, we need much more scrutiny of any organization that provides important infrastructure in this country. Just a few short months ago, the fantastic deregulated Texas electrical grid killed people and crippled a state. These providers need more oversight down to the "when did you last patch workstations?". Fuck the Libertarian "less government" bullshit.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I almost voted 'Yes' just to spite this poll. ;)

That said, if we're earmarking $2 trillion dollars for infrastructure, I'd venture that at least a few billion of that should be spent on beefing up cybersecurity for critical infrastructure--especially power generation, distribution, water & sewage, fuel pipelines, healthcare systems, rural broadband infrastructure etc.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
There is nothing tricky here. If organizations invest in proper security, training, and mitigating controls the impact can be minimized if not removed altogether. The problem is that those things require money and changes to workflows and practices. Also, employees don't like to be told to do things differently or more securely because it makes work more difficult. Organizations do and spend the bare minimum it takes to get to a risk threshold that is deemed acceptable.

Not performing maintenance/updates because systems can't be taken offline because they lack redundancy
Not maintaining remote/air gapped backups because it is cumbersome and costs more money to store data
Not implementing safer mail security rules because it makes it harder for employees to do their jobs
Not having the control systems separated from the corporate network because it makes it harder to run the systems

Whatever the actual cause of the event, it was avoidable. It was a risk that they took and they paid the price ($5M?). It is also being reported that decrypting seems to be taking significantly longer than anticipated rendering that option almost unusable. Good spend of $5M apparently. Had they spent $3M on better security practices, they could have pocketed $2M and not ended up in the news or crated the fallout of dummies hoarding gas. I fully expect them to file for corporate welfare and get a nice big helping hand from the tax payers.

As a side note, we need much more scrutiny of any organization that provides important infrastructure in this country. Just a few short months ago, the fantastic deregulated Texas electrical grid killed people and crippled a state. These providers need more oversight down to the "when did you last patch workstations?". Fuck the Libertarian "less government" bullshit.

What I meant is that you can't simply retaliate like you might against state actors (which is what many people think) and the rest of this would seem to be covered in my "besides better security and practices".

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000

I can relate so much to all these examples. It's funny how the people who want all of these things implemented are the same people who reject them when it comes to budgeting time.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
My only complaint is that it took a citizen-facing event to get him to sign the bill on cyber security when the SolarWinds hack was arguably worse than the Colonial Pipeline ransomware event. Although, I'd have to go back and look at more of the exact text, but from the summary that I vaguely remember, I'm not entirely sure if the executive order really applies to a third-party infrastructure entity like the Colonial Pipeline. I just recall seeing a lot of bits about software requirements for the government and also public-facing software security ratings.

CaptainGoodnight

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2000
Biden, who ran largely on claims that Trump was a puppet of Putin due to not opposing Russia stridently enough, refuses to comment on whether he told pipeline company to pay off Russian hackers.

These hackers are possibly under the direct control of Putin, and, at the very least, are tolerated by Putin only so long as they attack targets Putin approves of.

This was essentially a Russian state-sponsored hacking/ransom attack.

Russian criminals, acting under orders of the Russian government or with that tacit permission of the Russian government -- and probably trained by Russia, too! -- shut down a major artery of fuel and demanded a five million dollar ransom.

Biden refused to say earlier if they should or should not pay the ransom, describing this Russian state sponsored or tolerated attack as a "private matter" between Colonial Pipeline and the state-empowered hackers of Russia.