Poll: Is Ron DeSantis violating the 1A rights of Disney?

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Is Ron DeSantis violating the 1A rights of Disney?

• Total voters

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
If so, presumably you agree that Biden can and should punish groups for speaking in ways he doesn’t like.
Pence should have sued the orange monkey when he threatened to not be his friend anymore.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I see it as accomplishing something that many Floridians have been trying to do for over 40+ years.

I do find it interesting that Disney isn't speaking out on the current "Roe vs. Wade" issue, though.
Because it hasn't happened yet. We will see after the ruling.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Josh Hawley wants to do the same thing at the federal level:

"The age of Republican handouts to Big Business is over. Thanks to special copyright protections from Congress, woke corporations like Disney have earned billions while increasingly pandering to woke activists. It’s time to take away Disney’s special privileges and open up a new era of creativity and innovation," Hawley told Fox News Digital in an exclusive statement.

Reactions: hal2kilo

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
He isn't an idiot though. That's the problem, he says what he does in a calculated appeal to people who he believes will ultimately propel him to the oval office. He does this shit out of pure evil.

definitely a possibility

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Howley is a fucking idiot. But Copyright needs massive reform and I would fully support a cross the board cut from 95 years to 56 years. Really I think it should be automatic for 20 years, after that you have to register and pay a fee every 5 years. The fee would start small for the first renewal but then get much more expensive each renewal and then no renewals after ~50-60 years.

Effectively infinite copyright causes a lot of issues, especially with abandoned works.

So the right thing, for all the wrong reasons.

Last edited:

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Howley is a fucking idiot. But Copyright needs massive reform and I would fully support a cross the board cut from 95 years to 56 years. Really I think it should be automatic for 20 years, after that you have to register and pay a fee every 5 years. The fee would start really same for the first renewal but then get much more expensive each renewal and then no renewals after ~50-60 years.

Effectively infinite copyright causes a lot of issues, especially with abandoned works.

So the right thing, for all the wrong reasons.
I agree with your take on copyright reform and also think tying it to putting "woke" corporations in their place is fucking dumb.

What's ridiculous about the term "woke" corporations is companies adopt polices because they benefit them. If there was no benefit to being "woke" then no company would do it. It's just cheap bull shit culture war crap that really says the GOP doesn't want companies to be as successful as they can be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zorba

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I hope Floridians specifically protest outside the governor's mansion and win a 1A lawsuit
Generally speaking they would win but again that’s the point. DeSantis is looking to pick every single culture war point he can. If he wins, great. If he loses he just complains about how woke the courts are.

He has zero interest in governing, it is all culture war to set up for a presidential run.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
He has zero interest in governing, it is all culture war to set up for a presidential run.
Like good he could possibly prevent the orange monkey from running. But the orange monkey was incompetent. Can't imagine the damage DeSantis can do from the oval.

Reactions: dank69

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Like good he could possibly prevent the orange monkey from running. But the orange monkey was incompetent. Can't imagine the damage DeSantis can do from the oval.
DeSantis seems to be a more capable fascist than Trump but less of an overt criminal. I don't really know how to choose between the two.

This is another one of those long term, maybe irreparable harms Trump inflicted is he found out Republican voters don't really care if you abide by the norm that elected officials are supposed to be there to govern at least somewhat impartially instead of rewarding their supporters and attacking their enemies. DeSantis has definitely noticed that.