Poll: Is Ron DeSantis violating the 1A rights of Disney?

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Is Ron DeSantis violating the 1A rights of Disney?

• Total voters

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Ronnie is almost as stupid as his daddy...
Ron DeSantis Blames Disney for Suddenly ‘Injecting Sexuality’ Into Cartoons as If Pepe Le Pew Doesn’t Exist (msn.com)

AAWKDnh.img
Garth saw our future struggles.
5872CD21-B03D-4EFD-9993-4421A1EF569B.gif

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
destatanist can say what he wants... but the courts will determine this in the long run

That’s probably what the play is. Get righty base support for sticking it to Disney and then have the courts throw out the law and my guess is that he’ll then blame the “partisan” courts. He wins even if he loses. Dems can counter with a desantis=anti constitution but they probably won’t or it will be a weak attempt.

Reactions: Brovane
Nov 17, 2019
Man, oh man, if RonnieD ever saw a Chip and Dale cartoon ......

Or Merrie Melodie's 'Mac and Tosh, the Goofy Gophers'

WB Goofy Gophers Mac & Tosh polite gophers with English ...

Indubitably!!!!

Feb 4, 2009
That’s probably what the play is. Get righty base support for sticking it to Disney and then have the courts throw out the law and my guess is that he’ll then blame the “partisan” courts. He wins even if he loses. Dems can counter with a desantis=anti constitution but they probably won’t or it will be a weak attempt.

Nah it is simply run the clock down until election time

Micrornd

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2013
The fact is that without what DIsney has done, that area of FL would remain a depressed backwater.
That just isn't true.
In 1967 when Disney started building here, the Orlando area was already home to Lockheed and Martin-Marietta facilities, as well as other defense and government contractors and Navy and Air Force facilities.
Those industries and facilities had plans to expand greatly due to the climate, available workforce, choice land availability, etc., as well as proximity the Apollo program and planned Spacelab program, as well as the "other stuff" being launched, and the Navy's Polaris and Trident "testing programs" from the boomers that were ported at Cape Canaveral. (now we have cruise ships there instead)

Disney (and the other theme parks) moving in had the effect of stifling those plans, whether it was the increase in real estate prices, housing prices, siphoning of workforce or influx of tourists as a security issue, I don't know. But with the exception of civilian aerospace industries (which can be argued would have increased regardless), those other high-tech industries have either moved elsewhere or reduced there presence dramatically.

Yes, they have been replaced by theme parks and while there is no denying Disney brought national attention, Central Florida was never a "depressed backwater" to start with, nor would it have been without Disney. We just ended up swapping one type of "industry" for another. Both have their pros and their cons.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
But why did Disney have this special status in the first place? Obviously a retaliatory reaction but is it really a 1A case? DeSantis isn’t suppressing Disney’s ability to speak out.
Wrong. Severe economic consequences resulting from speaking out is suppression in the extreme. Why are you blind to the obvious?

Micrornd

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2013
I had no idea that Disney and Lockheed were chasing the same talent pool.
Both companies train employees. Both companies recruit engineers, skilled, semi-skilled and unskilled employees. Both companies prefer to train their employees to do things "the company's way". Companies such as Lockheed, for example, employee about 85% trained on-site employees. Someone has to actually manufacture and assemble their products and they mass produce an enormous amount of product.
Everyone forgets all the mundane jobs that go into building defense products, they just see the finished planes or rocket and think about engineers, but Lockeed even then had it's fingers in so many other defense products, as did Martin Marietta. No planes were built here, but many subassemblies were, as were other things that flew, other ordinary things like masks, hoses, canopies and windscreens, and even some things that said "face towards enemy".
Ask the folks in Wichita about the job pool for Boeing there, same as Orlando, ordinary folks trained to do a job.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
That just isn't true.
In 1967 when Disney started building here, the Orlando area was already home to Lockheed and Martin-Marietta facilities, as well as other defense and government contractors and Navy and Air Force facilities.
Those industries and facilities had plans to expand greatly due to the climate, available workforce, choice land availability, etc., as well as proximity the Apollo program and planned Spacelab program, as well as the "other stuff" being launched, and the Navy's Polaris and Trident "testing programs" from the boomers that were ported at Cape Canaveral. (now we have cruise ships there instead)

Disney (and the other theme parks) moving in had the effect of stifling those plans, whether it was the increase in real estate prices, housing prices, siphoning of workforce or influx of tourists as a security issue, I don't know. But with the exception of civilian aerospace industries (which can be argued would have increased regardless), those other high-tech industries have either moved elsewhere or reduced there presence dramatically.

Yes, they have been replaced by theme parks and while there is no denying Disney brought national attention, Central Florida was never a "depressed backwater" to start with, nor would it have been without Disney. We just ended up swapping one type of "industry" for another. Both have their pros and their cons.
This is BS. SoCal is home the most robust aerospace sector in the world and Disney as well as numerous other theme parks. Lockheed is big in SoCal, Fort Worth, and Atlanta. They didn't not build in Orlando because a theme park started hiring for low paid positions and tourist were coming in. Definitely not by 1972 when the space program had already been pulled way back.

Northrop Grumman does have a large facility in Melbourne, I know numerous people that moved to work there. The biggest selling point for all of them was the proximity to theme parks, beach and cruises.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
This is BS. SoCal is home the most robust aerospace sector in the world and Disney as well as numerous other theme parks. Lockheed is big in SoCal, Fort Worth, and Atlanta. They didn't not build in Orlando because a theme park started hiring for low paid positions and tourist were coming in. Definitely not by 1972 when the space program had already been pulled way back.

Northrop Grumman does have a large facility in Melbourne, I know numerous people that moved to work there. The biggest selling point for all of them was the proximity to theme parks, beach and cruises.
Lockheed pulled everything out of the Silicon Valley though. A lot went to Cocoa Beach (Cape).

Last edited:

Micrornd

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2013
While I realize most folks aren't aware of it, there are many of us that have been trying to get Disney's Special Tax District repealed for over 40 yrs, because we felt they abused it, right from the start.
The following link is to a book written over 20 years ago that explains it much better than I can. If you've lived in central Florida since the '50s as I have, you'll recognize all the names in the book and all the "things" that went on with them and Disney.
The books name is "Married To The Mouse"

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
While I realize most folks aren't aware of it, there are many of us that have been trying to get Disney's Special Tax District repealed for over 40 yrs, because we felt they abused it, right from the start.
The following link is to a book written over 20 years ago that explains it much better than I can. If you've lived in central Florida since the '50s as I have, you'll recognize all the names in the book and all the "things" that went on with them and Disney.
This is not relevant. If you want to abolish the district that’s fine but what’s happening here is the government is abolishing it because of protected speech.

Everyone should be against this if you’re a real American.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Cool story bro. Was there any movement to actually do this before Disney dared to criticize the don’t say gay bull?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
If people want to rescind Disney's special tax status that's fine but you are not dealing with the issue the government revoked it as payback for speaking out.

Cool with that??

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
DeSantis really needs to shut the fuck up as Disney holds all the legal cards.

Disney cannot legally be forced to pay the Reddy Creek debt nor can they be singled out to pay more in property taxes. Reminder they already pay their full property taxes to the counties. Plus the tax assessed by Reedy Creek.

DeSantis is most likely just talking shit to rile the reality is Disney will have Florida dead to rights on 4-5 legal issues beside a possible 1st amendment issue if DeSantis and Florida continue to try and go down this legal rabbit hole. Maybe DeSantis thinks a politically corrupt court system will allow him to win. I don’t think it will in this case because it would open up some pretty terrible precedent no one will want to open up.

Again the reality of all this is just a con job by DeSantis to rile up his gullible, easily manipulated and stupid base. I say that because Disney’s more than half billion tax break to move their imagineering department to Florida is still intact. Their actual tax breaks are still in place while Reedy Creek is not a tax break or incentive. But the gop base is to stupid to understand that.

Last edited:

Micrornd

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2013
Cool story bro. Was there any movement to actually do this before Disney dared to criticize the don’t say gay bull?
There have been multiple efforts for the last 45 years or so, but they have always failed due to Disney's hold on the political scene in central FL. It was considered political suicide to challenge Disney as early as 1969, so it was hard to get any legislator, even those retired or retiring, to publicly support the effort, yet a majority have always supported it privately. As is evident, that has changed recently.

Disney (and the other 6 Special Tax Districts being dissolved) will be able to reapply to again be a Special Tax District (under the new law) the minute after the existing tax district expires June 1, 2023 and I have no doubt they will, the legislators will approve it, and Disney will again be a STD.
The difference will be that they will then be governed by the Florida Constitution of 1968, as are the other 1800+ Special Tax Districts in Florida. Disney will no longer have the governmental powers to abuse, as described in "Married To The Mouse".

Micrornd

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2013
If people want to rescind Disney's special tax status that's fine but you are not dealing with the issue the government revoked it as payback for speaking out.

Cool with that??
I see it as accomplishing something that many Floridians have been trying to do for over 40+ years.

I do find it interesting that Disney isn't speaking out on the current "Roe vs. Wade" issue, though.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
There have been multiple efforts for the last 45 years or so, but they have always failed due to Disney's hold on the political scene in central FL. It was considered political suicide to challenge Disney as early as 1969, so it was hard to get any legislator, even those retired or retiring, to publicly support the effort, yet a majority have always supported it privately. As is evident, that has changed recently.

Disney (and the other 6 Special Tax Districts being dissolved) will be able to reapply to again be a Special Tax District (under the new law) the minute after the existing tax district expires June 1, 2023 and I have no doubt they will, the legislators will approve it, and Disney will again be a STD.
The difference will be that they will then be governed by the Florida Constitution of 1968, as are the other 1800+ Special Tax Districts in Florida. Disney will no longer have the governmental powers to abuse, as described in "Married To The Mouse".
Which government powers exactly is RCID abusing today? Buying politicians has nothing to do with the district.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

So you are ignoring the elephant in the room. If you want to lie to yourself go for it just don’t expect the rest of us to believe you about the real purpose of the bill.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I see it as accomplishing something that many Floridians have been trying to do for over 40+ years.

I do find it interesting that Disney isn't speaking out on the current "Roe vs. Wade" issue, though.
Again though saying ‘but this policy is good’ is not relevant. Florida politicians have been very open about the fact that this is being done to punish Disney for speaking in ways the government does not like. Do you think that’s a good idea?

If so, presumably you agree that Biden can and should punish groups for speaking in ways he doesn’t like. Maybe the IRS should pay a visit to churches that speak against abortion rights, maybe gun rights groups could use an audit, etc.