Poll: Is Ron DeSantis violating the 1A rights of Disney?

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Is Ron DeSantis violating the 1A rights of Disney?

• Total voters

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
I think it should be fine for the President to initiate an investigation if he has reasonable cause for it.

When you use the word "targeting" it seems to lend itself to imply underhanded actions in pursuit of a predetermined objective.

Nixon?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
And who defines reasonable cause? The president?

This is the whole reason the DoJ and FBI are largely independent of the president in the first place - there is no standard or rule for what constitutes "reasonable cause", so any direction by the president could be viewed as being personally or politically motivated.

If Biden specifically directed the above agencies to investigate Trump, how do you think conservatives would have reacted?
After all, there's plenty of reasonable cause....

Yea, let's trust a Trump voter to define "reasonable", lulz.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I think it should be fine for the President to initiate an investigation if he has reasonable cause for it.

When you use the word "targeting" it seems to lend itself to imply underhanded actions in pursuit of a predetermined objective.
Right, I’m saying if the president decides to order an audit of a group purely because it defied him politically, is that within the president’s rights?

I ask because the people who passed this anti Disney bill are on record stating they passed it because Disney defied them politically but you did not consider that a first amendment violation. It would stand to reason that Biden should be able to audit any person who speaks out against him by the same standard.

JWade

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
www.heatware.com
regardless of why their special tax status was removed, it is good it finally was, the other amusement parks there (seaworld for example) did not have this special status. As much as the media and democrats will say it will cost the counties and the state, Disney will be paying alot more to the two counties and the state than what the counties and state will have to pay. FINALLY rich Disney will be paying their fair share. Isnt that the mantra of the left? Make the rich pay their fair shair? Disney is worth collectively $130 billion. they do NOT need special tax status/governing status. they NEED to PAY THEIR FAIR SHARE. Look how quick the left and democrats will switch what they say and defend the rich. I do not care about the law florida passed, i care that Disney will finally be paying their fair share. (for the record i am a registered independant, not a Trumpster, or republican, or democrat)

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
regardless of why their special tax status was removed, it is good it finally was, the other amusement parks there (seaworld for example) did not have this special status. As much as the media and democrats will say it will cost the counties and the state, Disney will be paying alot more to the two counties and the state than what the counties and state will have to pay. FINALLY rich Disney will be paying their fair share. Isnt that the mantra of the left? Make the rich pay their fair shair? Disney is worth collectively $130 billion. they do NOT need special tax status/governing status. they NEED to PAY THEIR FAIR SHARE. Look how quick the left and democrats will switch what they say and defend the rich. I do not care about the law florida passed, i care that Disney will finally be paying their fair share. (for the record i am a registered independant, not a Trumpster, or republican, or democrat)
Debating rather or not Disney should have a special status is valid. What you appear to be ignoring in your comment is the explicit reason why that status was revoked . Which was because politicians were mad at Disney about it’s comments on a new law. The change in status is clearly political retaliation for Disney’s speech which is prohibited by the 1A.

That’s the part that should have anyone who cares about the constitution concerned.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I think taxes on the rich are much too low - did you think it would be a good idea for Biden to selectively raise the taxes of anyone who speaks out against him? Because that’s what’s happening here.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
You know they use their special tax privileges to tax themselves at a rate that is higher than the legal maximum if they weren't in their district?

Disney does not get special tax breaks in RCID because they are the only tax payer. They pay full property taxes to all other jurisdictions too. Meanwhile, in the new Imagineering complex that's not in RCID they are getting massive tax breaks.

So you just heard "special tax district" and starting making assumptions, why don't you actually go read about it from an unbiased source. Then come back and tell us why it is a good thing to shift the burden onto local residents instead of Disney. And then tell us how Disney won't immediately start negotiating tax breaks in exchange for every new project.

Last edited:

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I think taxes on the rich are much too low - did you think it would be a good idea for Biden to selectively raise the taxes of anyone who speaks out against him? Because that’s what’s happening here.
No it's not, Disney's taxes would be lowered here. The just lose the rights to maintain their property to their standards and install infrastructure to their needs.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
No it's not, Disney's taxes would be lowered here. The just lose the rights to maintain their property to their standards and install infrastructure to their needs.
Oh I know he’s wrong about the tax specifics but his fundamental argument appears to be ‘I think this is good policy so it doesn’t matter if it’s done to punish disfavored speech’ so I was going to see if he thought that idea was generally applicable.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Oh I know he’s wrong about the tax specifics but his fundamental argument appears to be ‘I think this is good policy so it doesn’t matter if it’s done to punish disfavored speech’ so I was going to see if he thought that idea was generally applicable.
Yeah, I know. I'm just pointing out that even their feel good "punishment" isn't really a punishment in the way they feel like it is.

Reactions: thilanliyan

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Nice goin' Ronnie ......

Disney Calls DeSantis' Bluff, Says State Must Pay Off $1 Billion Debt

Reedy Creek, Disney's special government body, argued that Florida pledged to the district bondholders "it will not limit or alter the rights of the District."

It will be interesting to see how this plays out...

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Plus disney can transfer the RCID assets to the two remaining cities and further screw the state/counties. Desantis is just really bad at this. Like, cosmically incompetent.

• Love
Reactions: hal2kilo

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Imagine if the DOJ was coordinating with school boards to investigate individuals that disagreed with said school boards. Imagine if Congress twice impeached a duly elected President based on knowingly false and manipulated evidence. Imagine if the Federal government, media outlets, and tech companies were colluding to silence speech that was not inline with a certain political agenda.
If I ever became a crackhead, I'm just going to ask for your supplier, cause go big or go home

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
So you are in favor of the government exacting punitive actions against a company because the publicly speak out on government policy??

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
So you are in favor of the government exacting punitive actions against a company because the publicly speak out on government policy??
I mean, if this is the precedent, Americans in general should be very worried. It's certainly ok with conservatives in this situation.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Imagine if the DOJ was coordinating with school boards to investigate individuals that disagreed with said school boards. Imagine if Congress twice impeached a duly elected President based on knowingly false and manipulated evidence. Imagine if the Federal government, media outlets, and tech companies were colluding to silence speech that was not inline with a certain political agenda.
Let's break down the lies...

Imagine if the DOJ was coordinating with school boards to investigate individuals that disagreed with said school boards.
DOJ was investigating acts of violence and threats of violence. If someone stalked your kids to your house I'm sure law enforcement would be called.

Imagine if Congress twice impeached a duly elected President based on knowingly false and manipulated evidence.-
Hmmm, Trump was on tape trying to blackmail Zelensky to hold up weapons until he announced an investigation into Biden

Imagine if the Federal government, media outlets, and tech companies were colluding to silence speech that was not inline with a certain political agenda
Feds have done nothing to stifle speech. That would violate 1A. As far as tech companies banning people, they get banned for violating TOS not because of political affiliation.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
“No. Disney will pay its debts,” DeSantis said during a town hall with “The Ingraham Angle” on Fox News. “Disney will, for the first time, actually live under the same laws as everybody else in Florida. Imagine that.”

Disney is already paying it's debts by taxing itself at a higher tax rate than the surrounding counties.

Reactions: Zorba

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
“No. Disney will pay its debts,” DeSantis said during a town hall with “The Ingraham Angle” on Fox News. “Disney will, for the first time, actually live under the same laws as everybody else in Florida. Imagine that.”

Disney is already paying it's debts by taxing itself at a higher tax rate than the surrounding counties.

Yeah, that's the reality. But reality doesn't matter as much as the propaganda going out.

If this goes into effect as is, Disney will actually financially benefit from it. Substantially. People are just too stupid to realize or care that what he's feeding them is complete and utter bullshit.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Floriduh Courtz?

The ones RonnieD has stacked and groomed?
This is clear cut contract law and statutory construction law. DeSantis is posturing, he doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Here in CT, it seems like every local newcast has an ad from FL about how business friendly they are. I chuckle every time I see them.

The fact is that without what DIsney has done, that area of FL would remain a depressed backwater. And this clown abuses the hell out of his state's biggest employer because it won't give him "contributions" and won't kowtow to his extremist policies. F*ck Florida I've made it nearly seven decades without ever going there and never intend to spend a dime in that state.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Ronnie is almost as stupid as his daddy...
Ron DeSantis Blames Disney for Suddenly ‘Injecting Sexuality’ Into Cartoons as If Pepe Le Pew Doesn’t Exist (msn.com)

AAWKDnh.img