Poll: Is Ron DeSantis violating the 1A rights of Disney?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Is Ron DeSantis violating the 1A rights of Disney?

• Total voters

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I had an ex-girlfriend prescribed oral contraceptives to clear up her skin. Bad acne treatments is something covered by insurance. Why should HL decide on their own not based on any medical science people should be denied that treatment?

Again, what if a Jehovah's Witness employer decides blood transfusions are not covered?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
What was this topic about again????
I think it’s primarily about showing when conservatives pretended to care about government coercion and the first amendment they were lying.

Again, to me the funniest part is they spent literally years working themselves into a frenzy about Obama targeting conservatives for punishment for speaking out against him and that wasn’t even real. Then when the government does exactly the thing they were so mad about they think it’s fine. As they say, every accusation a confession.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
I had an ex-girlfriend prescribed oral contraceptives to clear up her skin. Bad acne treatments is something covered by insurance. Why should HL decide on their own not based on any medical science people should be denied that treatment?

Again, what if a Jehovah's Witness employer decides blood transfusions are not covered?

Also for endometriosis ... depending specific drug ...

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
It was just done for politics points...you think they actually care about getting things done? Bah!! :D

This was never getting anything "done" ... it was a solution to a problem that didn't exist.

I do question whether or not it was purely a stunt, or whether they were dumb enough to think it would actually go through unopposed. There is rampant incompetence enough on that side of the aisle to legitimately believe they thought it would work. I'm 50/50.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
You dumb, fucking bastard: "THEY" who chose to fight birth control are fucking Catholic sociopaths like Hobby Lobby, you dumb, fucking bastard. This isn't some liberal agenda to start "creating issues" that you think aren't relevant. This is always, always, always a response to bronze-aged shitheads and their fucking brainless assault on humanity, perpetrated by rightwing sociopathic organizations that you just brush aside as "no big deal."

Then, of course, you complain and bitch that we are only talking about birth control, because this is what these sociopaths are spending all their money on, and somehow the people that are defending individual rights' to health are the ones that you blame for this nonsense.

Grow the fuck up, dummy.
He's gotten so used to "tubes without lubes" up his ass, so there's that. He's not happy unless he's pissed off. Guess too much rectal radiation being a submariner.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Didn't see this posted anywhere, but seems like a fairly legit legal hurdle regarding the dissolving:

https://news.bloombergtax.com/tax-i...ng-disneys-reedy-creek?context=search&index=1

IANAL, but that seems like a big problem on its face.

in the 2022 budget, it sets its property taxes at around 13.57 “mills,” with each “mill” representing an annual charge one-one thousandth of the property’s assessed value. This tax rate is higher than the maximum of 10 mills allowed for cities and counties.

This further confirms something I heard yesterday. That despite the argument about Disney saving tax money, having Reedy Creek Improvement District doesn't actually save money, it costs Disney more. Why? Well Disney is responsible for all the services at Reedy Creek that normally a local government would handle. Disney maintains Reedy Creek to a higher standard than what the surrounding counties would do. In order to do this, Disney taxes Reedy Creek at a higher rate than the surrounding counties. Essentially Disney is taxing itself more than what a local government would tax Disney. The Republicans really didn't think this all the way through.

Reactions: Zorba and ivwshane

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
in the 2022 budget, it sets its property taxes at around 13.57 “mills,” with each “mill” representing an annual charge one-one thousandth of the property’s assessed value. This tax rate is higher than the maximum of 10 mills allowed for cities and counties.

This further confirms something I heard yesterday. That despite the argument about Disney saving tax money, having Reedy Creek Improvement District doesn't actually save money, it costs Disney more. Why? Well Disney is responsible for all the services at Reedy Creek that normally a local government would handle. Disney maintains Reedy Creek to a higher standard than what the surrounding counties would do. In order to do this, Disney taxes Reedy Creek at a higher rate than the surrounding counties. Essentially Disney is taxing itself more than what a local government would tax Disney. The Republicans really didn't think this all the way through.

Yeah, everyone touting it as "getting rid of a tax break/perk" is just not well informed as to what actually goes on.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001

It may still work out to a tax break depending upon how those expenses are treated at the federal level.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
10K limit on SALT these days.

You're referring to the ability to itemize and therefore deduct local taxes on your home on a personal income tax return. Without even glancing at the tax laws I'm totally confident that businesses can always claim 100% of whatever property taxes they pay as a legit business expense. We've written two sets of rules and guess who ends up getting screwed more often than not.

Reactions: zinfamous

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
You're referring to the ability to itemize and therefore deduct local taxes on your home on a personal income tax return. Without even glancing at the tax laws I'm totally confident that businesses can always claim 100% of whatever property taxes they pay as a legit business expense. We've written two sets of rules and guess who ends up getting screwed more often than not.
Saw an estimate that OC property taxes for everyone will have to increase from between 20% to 25% to make up for the shortfall.

Micrornd

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2013
FWIW - Below is something I don't see being mentioned here or by any of the mainstream media.

There are 6 special tax districts involved, not just Disney.
All were created before the Florida constitution was ratified in 1968 and were "grandfathered" in "as existing".
This means those 6 districts are subject to the terms and conditions they were founded under and not to the Florida Constitution of 1968, that the other 1800+ special tax districts in Florida are subject to.
This repeal of those 6 special tax districts has been on the back burner for some time because of the continuing complaints of "special treatment" from the other special tax districts that were established after the Florida Constitution of 1968 was ratified.
I remember complaints of "special privileges" and "special treatment" by the other tax districts as far back in 1970, a lot of it having to do with bond issues, governing and taxing issues, etc.

Under the approved bill, as passed, all 6 special tax districts created prior to the ratification of the Florida Constitution of 1968 are to be dissolved June 1st, 2023.
Under the approved bill, as passed, all 6 districts may reapply on June 1st, 2023 for special tax district status, but they will then be bound by the the same rules and regulations as the other 1800+ special tax districts in Florida.

I was "on staff" of a state representative from '92-'94 (those are 3 years I wish I could get back :rolleyes:) and the repeal of these 6 special districts was a "backroom" topic even then, but with Disney's influence, it was considered political suicide to challenge Disney then.
The feud between DeSantis and Disney just made this repeal of the 6 districts easy for the legislature to do.
Personally, I think Disney (and the other 5) will apply for and be granted "special tax district" status in 2023. ;)

Reactions: thilanliyan

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
The poll is flawed in that it makes that assumption that a corporation is a person with rights. No, it's a fucking company <full stop>

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
The poll is flawed in that it makes that assumption that a corporation is a person with rights. No, it's a fucking company <full stop>

The corporate personhood aspect of the campaign finance debate turns on Buckley v. Valeo (1976) and Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission (2010): Buckley ruled that political spending is protected by the First Amendment right to free speech, while Citizens United ruled that corporate political spending is protected, holding that corporations have a First Amendment right to free speech because they are "associations of citizens" and hold the collected rights of the individual citizens who constitute them.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004

The corporate personhood aspect of the campaign finance debate turns on Buckley v. Valeo (1976) and Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission (2010): Buckley ruled that political spending is protected by the First Amendment right to free speech, while Citizens United ruled that corporate political spending is protected, holding that corporations have a First Amendment right to free speech because they are "associations of citizens" and hold the collected rights of the individual citizens who constitute them.

And that shows beyond doubt how fucking stupid we have become. This is how the ultrarich have destroyed this country. It's a fucking company.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Well, if they're going to make corporations people, we're going to shove that down their fascist throats.

Agree. I hate the principle of it (that corps are people), but as long as it's valid we need to use it equally.

Same as the bullshit precedent with TX SB8. If that's legally valid for TX to do with abortions, it should be legal for other states to do so with ... guns/etc.

Reactions: hal2kilo and Amused

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006

People also need not forgot the Reedy Creek Taxes are on top of the property taxes it pays to Orange and Osceola Counties. They pay the counties their %s and RICD it’s percentages.

Reactions: hal2kilo and Zorba

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Do you also think companies so have to harbor soldiers, be subject to unreasonable searches, or bring forced to work without compensation?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Do you also think companies so have to harbor soldiers, be subject to unreasonable searches, or bring forced to work without compensation?
I think corporate personhood is a pretty fraught area of the law and there’s a lot of good reasons to reconsider it.

That being said under the law that exists now and the law that conservatives have been perfectly happy with for a long time, these companies enjoy the same freedom of speech as any person.